Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ships and Technology of the Future, how much of a change?

Armed and Dangerous

Question Ships and Technology of the Future, how much of a change?

I am still preparing a campaign for a time period 800 years after ROTJ (been working on and off on this for a year). I already have the bad guys fleshed out, and have their technology created, but I'm wondering about what sort of changes if really that many will be made to republic ships in the future. (Yes, the Vong lost for this story setting). From looking at the stats for ships from the TOTJ era and ones in classic era, their were some major changes in hyper drives and maneuverability, but that is to be expected in a 5000 year time frame. I know their may be some changes possibly with sensors and a few other things, but how drastic of a change in 800 years? Comments will be very much appreciated.

Registered User Donovan Morningfire's Avatar
    Exactly where I need to be when I need to be there

Default Tech changes

They're probably wouldn't be a whole lot. It seems that for the most part Star Wars technology is at its apex.

Maybe Hyperdrives are more efficient (most stock civilian ships now have a x1 hypedrive, and military fighters have a x3/4 or maybe even x1/2). Sublight speeds get bumped up by 1 or 2 (D6) or raised one category (d20)

Up the damage on energy weapons one die or increase the number of shots per power pack by 25% to cover more efficient blasters and such.

If D6, up the Hull/Body codes by about 1D, if d20, probably a 10 to 20% increase, rounded to nearest number divisable by 10 (5 for ground vehicles).

D6 Armor give 'em an extra +2 (not dice) to resist damage; d20 maybe give all armor DR 5. Heck, portable shield generators (ala Droidekas) could be available by that time frame, rendering convential armor totally obsolete.

The lightsaber hasn't seemed to change much as the ages pass, and could already be considered the pinnacle of energy weapons (almost totally efficient with a power cell capable of lasting several months). No need for change, except maybe some enterprising Jedi with a knack for technology found a way to enhance the power cell's longevity even more.

Medical technology may have really improved due to study of some of the Vong's biotech. D6 gives an extra die to First Aid checks, d20 heals one or two extra wounds. (Min 2 if untrained, two extra if used trained.)

This is all of the top of my head, and hope it helps some.
    Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog at http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/
    "You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"
    - Luke Skybrewer, A New Hops

Armed and Dangerous

Default Thanks

Donovan Morningfire,

You covered that pretty well, even things that I haven't quite touched down on yet. Thanks.

Absent Old-Timer

Hey I have a question: Why?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a bad idea, but it seems odd. I mean the whole reason I started to play SW is because it is in the same Galaxy as the Movie heros and bad guys. 800 years that is a long time. After that amount of time passing what is the diffrence between playing SW and playing any other space system.

I really am not doggin your campaign, just looking for a little insight.

As far as tech goes...You could go the other way and have some major galactic crissis happen and the result is that a lot of tech is lost. It could make for a cool campaign to have the Characters investigating lost Tech and civilizations (ones current with the movies). Perhaps they could rediscover things like Repulsor tech, or Droid tech. That could only work if your players are good at not Metagaming.
    Dr. Worm
    (I'm not a real Doctor, but I am a real worm.)

"Oh, would you stop. Luke Skywalker this, Luke Skywalker that. I am sick of hearing about that little fruit!" Red Foreman- "That 70's Show"

Retired Supreme Moff

I like Dr_Worm's idea of tech going backwards. Kinda like our Dark Ages.

The characters manage to find a hyperdrive and reach planets once thought as power centres (Coruscant, Sluis Van, Lianna etc) little more than pathetic little worlds ruled by warlords.

Maybe in a horrific revearsal, Tatooine could be come the bright centre of the universe!
    You are young, my son, and, as the years go by, time will change and even reverse many of your present opinions. Refrain therefore awhile from setting yourself up as a judge of the highest matters.

Plato, Dialogues, Theatetus

Armed and Dangerous

Why?

To escape a lot of the crappy EU out there. Books keep coming out with little contradictions here and there, and I just want a Star Wars where I am so far removed from the crap, that I can say certain things are going to happen for sure. 800 years after the Vong, none of it matters. All that matters will be the Republic faced with a new threat, not the Vong again, not a Dark Jedi, not corruption in the government, but in the form of an experiment in technology that goes bad.

Don't get me wrong, some EU books are good, but I am tired of hearing about the Solo boys, and how they are rewarded for stupid actions, and I am tired of Luke, Han, Leia, and the rest of the old people saving the galaxy time after time. It is time to jump ahead and get some new heroes. A thread on this has already sparked my rage on how stupid the SOLO BOYs are.

Getting back to the campaign. I also wanted to introduce technology such as advanced personal shields, and space warp holes. I haven't decided to what degree they will work or how available the technology is.

This is the tip of the iceberg. To put it all together, I want my own Star Wars, with George Lucas concepts but without his, Zahn's, Stackpole's, Salvatore's, or Anderson's characters to set boundaries or irritate me and my players.

That's a pretty darn good reason for setting a campaign so far ahead in the future Krad. Most folks jump back a few millenia (TotJ era usually) to avoid movie and EU continuity problems. Glad my ideas were some help.

I agree with the Krad's reasons for wanting to run a game set in that time period. It may not be Star Wars as the general populace know it, but it is still Star Wars. I personally don't have that much of a problem with Jacen (but then, I haven't been reading the NJO stuff. Vong concept = ten finger stinker), but I can understand the bit with the older, 'established' characters. And I like the cyclical concept of the 'New' Republic having to once again deal with internal corruption, the very thing that lead to the 'Old' Republic being turned into the Empire. And before anyone complains 'what about history,' remember that the game's been run for a long time with us knowing little to nothing about the Clone Wars, which was a major event.

Armed and Dangerous

In my time frame, 16 year old boys who have a lightsaber duel on board their father's ship will not be considered Jedi Knights like EU declares them as being. Jedi Knights should be wise and have experience to back up their skills, and definitely should be not knights because they are Uncle Luke's golden boys. I only read the first three or four books of the NJO, and it was filled with Jacen and Anakin going against the older heroes warnings, and then Luke had to save them. Is the galaxy that dangerous as Han Solo said it was? I don't think so. Those two are incredibly lucky to be alive based on their stupidity. Their luck defies realistic story telling. Even the older heroes were not that lucky, and had a hard enough time making the right moves.

In my time frame, you may not agree with your master (like Obi-wan with Qui-gon about the training of Anakin), but you certainly don't disobey......if you do, chances are that the thing that the master warned them about will kill the young padawans (or Young Saved By the Bell Jedi Knights).

Sorry for anyone who likes the Young Jedi Series or the Solo boys, but I would like to see a Jedi Order a little less liberal than Lukes. Maybe a Jedi boot camp to drill in respect for those who are in charge and have experience to draw on.

I am just trying to escape the Skywalker legacy which has been screwed up by inconsistancies and bad writing, and that really is the bottom line.
    Last edited by Krad-edis; 2 November 2001 at 07:28 AM.

Veteran Player

Well, we currently have a campaign set 300 years after ROTJ and here are what our ships can do.

Starfighter
    1. Proton torpdoes can now separate and hit three targets at once. Only one roll is required.
    2. Ships get an auto lock with their lasers, a +10 on attack (WOTC) or +3D (WEG) - then the pilot or gunner resolves attacks as normal.
    3. Shields regenerate at a faster pace. Each round the pilot rolls d100/4 to see how many shield points he or she has gotten back.
    4. Ships are obviously faster, now a 0.5 hyperdrive is considered average speed. A fast ship in this timeline is closer to 0.01.
    5. Starship weapons can now be fired even faster than before. So a player can choose to fire his ship's blasters in rapid mode, adding 1extra dice (e.g. 4d10*2 becomes 5d10*2 in WOTC -- 4D becomes 5D in WEG) of damage, or in full rapid mode, adding 2 extra dice of damage.

This is all I can remember off the top of my head.

Absent Old-Timer

That's cool. good reasons. I just didn't read them, and neither did my players. I simply like the pararmeters of "reality" that are set by the system. I still like my idea of going back, kinda like the WoT series, in which we are led to believe that there was once great technology, but now it is lost.

I think I may run with that. Have Jedi Rediscover the Lightsaber? That would be Cool. Maybe even have Jedi be thought of as bad guys (another omage to WoT).

As far as ships go, you might want to take into consideration that everything is realtive. I mean if all ships are now 2D more maneuverable, then they are still the same against each other, you just roll more dice.
    Dr. Worm

"Oh, would you stop. Luke Skywalker this, Luke Skywalker that. I am sick of hearing about that little fruit!" Red Foreman- "That 70's Show"

Armed and Dangerous

The going backwards instead of forward is an idea, but I have already excepted going forward. Dr. Worm, you mentioned that it may sound odd go forward 800 years....I have found that by playing a game that goes 300 years past the time of Skywalker still cannot escape his influence or the legacy of the Empire completely. You really need a good half a milenium to kind of set the new age. I have a time frame that basically sets up the events up to 800 years after the time of Skywalker. This 800 years has given me a restriction free galaxy, and 500 - 800 years would give you plenty of time to figure out a reason why a Jedi or lightsaber would be forgotten over the centuries to be rediscovered.

I considered your statement you made earlier. Here is a rough idea of what you may want to flesh out. You are right, it could be very interesting and fun.

Perhaps 200 years after Skywalker, a disease that attacked Midichlorian purges a great many of the reassembled Jedi Order? The remaining Jedi are forced to fight an enemy which is surprisingly more deadly than any Sith or Empire, for now the enemy is completely invisible. Over a period of ten years, they are for the most part unsuccessful. Those with low midichlorian counts are only mildly effected by it, while the Jedi react violently to the disease. Their ability to feel the force had been taken away from them. Those who did not die of shock from the experience, either went into a deep state of depression or went insane from their loss. (The disease could also cause incurable mental illness). Jedi who were once the great protectors of the galaxy were now either regarded as fools, or as something that had run out of time. As time went on, the force, its champions, and the lightsabers they used were only things of fantastic tales to tell your children. While some of the more educated beings in the galaxy knew the Jedi were wiped out by a mysterious plague, the vast majority of the people in the galaxy had come to believe that the Jedi were just a myth......until a young man or woman 600 years after the disease struck, discovered that they could move things with their mind, see the past or see the future. What makes them different? Are there any more like them? How can this be? ..........and a quest for knowledge begins......the force and the Jedi possibly rediscovered, or the Sith possibly reborn...who knows...all depends on the PCs and a crafty GM. Sounds kind of like Final Fantasy...

Absent Old-Timer

Ok I could have som fun with that! I am currently running a campaign, but this one will be next.

I've neve played Final Fantasy, perhaps I should.

I am definately gonne cut and paste that paragraph...thanks pal.

Here's an Idea: How about have the disease cause madness before death. So those that are strong in the force go mad first and that is why the myth of the Jedi is a myth of evil. The ones that are weak enough to not go mad are to weak to fight off the sith and the mad Jedi and flee. Now 500 years after the "Jedi Purge" Hyperdrive is finnally found (or perhaps given by some alien society) and our heros are sent to explore. They happen upon Corruscant (eventually) and discover the last of the hidden Jedi there.
    Dr. Worm

Armed and Dangerous

With so many years removed from Han Solo and Luke, you can do whatever you want. You have plenty of years to play with and can create a very beleiveable time line and story.

Madness and then death.....a good explanation as to why teachings were not passed down.

Final Fantasy III is a great game that poses a with an underlying story of where there were once a plentiful amount of magic users, but technology rose up and people lost faith in magic. Unfortunately, the people who are in control of the machinery are evil, so it is up to the last wielders of magic to save the land....It came out in 1994, and is probably the best RPG video games I've played other than on PC. There is plenty more to the story than just that, but it was a cool concept.

By the way, happy late birthday.

I too like the idea of a madness-inducing plague that affects Force users only. I don't know if I'll ever go for a future setting (most of my players know that I'm ready, willing and able to tell EU to go fly a kite, other than Zahn's stuff), but it does have potential for a story arc.

Hey Doc, do indeed check out the Final Fantasy games. If you have a Playstation, then my top picks are, in order of preference:

1) Final Fantasy 8: it had some problems, but the story was tight; it seemed more like a movie than video game, and the graphics, especially the CGI stuff, rocked (Rinoa and Quistis are cyber-hotties, and aren't overdone in the physical department; they look healthy and normal. That and Rinoa has an elven-cute face )
    2) Final Fantasy 9: good story, slick graphics, solid gameplay. The only reason it's not #1 is my enjoyment of FF8, though 9 is a very close second.
    3) FF Chronicles, if only for Chrono Trigger, which was one of the best games ever released for the Super Nintendo.
    4) FF7: the first FF game on Playstation. You can get it pretty cheap (it's a definite oldy), and while the out-of-combat graphics are cartoony (all the guys have Popeye arms), it plays well and has a pretty solid story.
    5) FF Anthology, which has both FF5 (previously unreleased) and FF6 (released as FF3 on the SNES). This one might've ranked higher, but FF5 didn't do much for me, and FF6, while it had a good plot, parts of it seemed too Star Wars derivative (the plot I mean).

You can probably rent them from your local video store. They're worth it, though they might get addicting.

There were a series of FF games done for Gameboy, which I think have been rereleased, but they ranged from eh to good. (FF Adventure was the best, I thought)
    Last edited by Donovan Morningfire; 3 November 2001 at 02:05 PM.

Armed and Dangerous

Default The Anthology rules!

The anthology......neato

I recommend that one big time. Take the classic SNES game, clean it up, and put it on Playstation, and you have the FF3 special edition!

Thread Information