Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: **Spoilers** Thoughts on the direction of Fate of the Jedi

With three books that has now been released in this series.

I would like to know what is your opinion after three books?
    Want to play Star Wars RPG PBEM? Then just go to www.starwars-chronicles.com

Star Wars Chronicles Fan Fiction projects:

Truce at Bakura - Finally in the works

Short Stories - Duel of Fates and Honour's 1st draft finished, currently under revision!

Veteran Player

I am still awaitin for the first to hit paperback to get it, so i can read it.
    You cannot dodge it if you don't know it is coming, and you cannot shoot at what you don't know is there!

I for Underachiever

Am about halfway through Outcast and have been pleasantly surprised.

Not to say i think the book is great so far (i agree with a lot of JediShadow's analysis), but it's a lot better than the last few SW books i've read. Though, that being said, i haven't read any SW books for a good eighteen months, so perhaps that vacation period has helped.

Mechanics-wise, Allston has done well. For the most part the prose is crisp and flowing. There are times where the prose does slip into the mechanical more than it needs to, but that's generally when Allston is skimming over time periods that aren't important to the overall plot.

I've noticed what appear to be a couple of time paradoxes , but only minor ones.

But while the read so far has been fun and smooth, nothing's really grabbed my interest by the throat and squeezed. That's not a complaint, particularly, because i'm happy to read SW books just because they're SW books, but by the same token complacency in readership is not good longterm. I think perhaps we're falling into a holding pattern storywise, similar to the string of novels before the NJO.

Like others, i'd like to see a storyline that focuses on Jedi v Jedi, one that follows through on the tension that other storylines have hinted at. This series again could have the potential for that, but i don't think it'll be explored here.

Will contribute further thoughts, if i have any, once i've finished the book.

So IzVenjari did you finish Outcast?

Short Stories - Duel of Fates and Honour's 1st draft finished, currently under revision!

I for Underachiever

Originally posted by Grade
    So IzVenjari did you finish Outcast?
    Yep sure did, Grade. You know what the impression i kept getting throughout the book was? That this was a transcript of someone's roleplaying game.

All in all, the book was solid without being remarkable. But it needed more cowbell...er... tension, i reckon. Never at any point did i think the main characters were in any actual danger.

It has been a few months since the last post.

Does anyone has any input that like to share to the community about Fate of the Jedi series? Or is this series not selling as much then Legacy series?

This is fruitless attempt to re-animate the thread.

I like the series, its developing some interesting plots.

I've seen complaints on other forums about how authors are now consttly coming up ith their own attempts Jedi pursection and Order 66. I think what is being done with Daala actually makes sene, although her own bias is causing problems. I am enjoying Tahari's trial. I loved Paellon and when she killed him I've had the sentiment hence for of '"firing squad!"

I think Vortex in general was a really good book. The death of the reporter on Sextus Minor, epic!

I am enjoying what's going on with Luke and Ben. Ben's whole "She's hot....I can totally bring her to the light side" thing is hilarious. Although I'm itching for a full on battle between the Jedi and the SIth. Like 20 vs 20, Battlefront 2 Mos Eisly heroes only fight. Sabers and force powers flying everywhere.

Having Lando and Booster around again was fun, fantastic scheme.

I do wish they spent more time on Jaina and Jag. Jag's quip about Jaina dumping him because he wouldn't have the imperial fleet at her beckon-call was funny. And I dying to see Jag finally get to the end of his rope and start liquidating moffs.
    "Choke on that, causality!"

I think that the series has interesting story implications, but a few things bother me.

First off, Luke and Han and Leia are old. They shouldn't be adventuring like they used to. Had Jaina and the rest of the young Knights been developed better, perhaps Luke could have died and left a good story behind... but as of now, without Luke, the galaxy dies.

Second, the way Daala can do anything she wants is silly. There is a senate you know, and there are no wars going on that give her emergency powers.

Third, while the Aing Tii are fascinating, powers like fold space and flow walking turn the force into little more than Dungeons and Dragons magic (which I love when it isn't in Star Wars).

Fourth, Jaina and Jag act like children. Grow up. We know they are getting married anyway. After all, how does the Fel line become force sensitive in the Legacy series?

Fifth, Jaina should be a Master. She killed a powerful Sith Lord and has more common sense than half of the council... which leads to

Sixth, the Jedi Council can't survive without Luke? They're supposed to be paragons of wisdom and sensability, but they fight like children. Another reason why they can't let Luke die...

Seventh, the Mandalorians feel like a silly patch-on. I do appreciate Karen Traviss bringing some dimension to them after all this time, but still, Daala has no business controlling a mercenary army with sketchy loyalties.

Yeah, I have a lot of gripes.

All knowing, all seeing eye of Star Wars
    Out in the Unknown Regions of my mind....

What has been happening lately in FotJ, since I haven't read this series since Book 4?
    "You don't know the Power of a Darkside!" - Darth Vader to Luke (Episode V)

Co-author of the Rise of the Empire Infinities Sourcebook: http://submissions.swrpgnetwork.com/entry.php?id=1865
    Co-Author of Rebellion Era Infinities Sourcebook ( REISB ) http://www.swrpgnetwork.com/entry.php?id=1867

Currently working on as Co-Author: The Legacy of the Force Sourcebook

So the Fate of the Jedi series has finish. So what is your opinion about the overall of this series?

I've gotten distracted by Laundry, Sng of ice and fire and the Dresden Files. I got a crap loading of reading to do still.
    "Choke on that, causality!"

Would anyone care to post a summary of the final novel (or, if you have time, the series)? Using spoiler tags, of course!

All knowing, all seeing eye of Star Wars
    Out in the Unknown Regions of my mind....

Quote Originally Posted by Grade View Post
    So the Fate of the Jedi series has finish. So what is your opinion about the overall of this series?
    I thought that it had a lot of potential, but IMO, worse than NJO.
    "You don't know the Power of a Darkside!" - Darth Vader to Luke (Episode V)

Co-author of the Rise of the Empire Infinities Sourcebook: http://submissions.swrpgnetwork.com/entry.php?id=1865
    Co-Author of Rebellion Era Infinities Sourcebook ( REISB ) http://www.swrpgnetwork.com/entry.php?id=1867

Currently working on as Co-Author: The Legacy of the Force Sourcebook

Quote Originally Posted by Treefrog View Post
    I thought that it had a lot of potential, but IMO, worse than NJO.
    I'm curious to hear in more detail of your overall opinion. Just curious.

FotJ was interesting, I liked some of it. But over all... waste of ink. I mean, Luke's fun, the whole Abeloth thing is awful - and the tie-in of the three from the clone wars series - father, daughter and son of the force thingy - was crap... the Lost Tribe is pointless. Daala started out cool, but turned into this paranoid schizo and... well, poorly written. Most of the Jedi characters are not well written either - the whole dule between Saba and Kenth or whatever-- urgh.

Nah, Denning outdoes Traviss in writing crap and being awful in his creative endeavours. I'd rather have more mando stuff from Traviss, than more crap from Denning.
    "What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Jegergryte's Cubicle

My home made supplements.

Thread Information