Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: **Spoilers** Thoughts on the direction of Fate of the Jedi

Default **Spoilers** Thoughts on the direction of Fate of the Jedi

Well continuing the famous thread of thought of Legacy of the Force novel series, I thought to create this thread for the future nine-book series called Fate of the Jedi, undertaking yet another three authors each author alternating.

The authors of the nine book series "Fate of the Jedi are: Troy Denning, Aaron Allston and Christie Golden (since Karen Traviss refused, due to have many projects already).

The two already novels that have been announced are:

Outcast - Aaron Allston - March or April of 2009
    Enigma - Christie Golden - Summer of 2009

This series will proceed the Millennium Falcon Novel.

Edit: Outcast and Enigma links at Wookiepedia.

Edit 2: It seems that the Millennium Falcon novel will have an excerpt of book one of Fate of the Jedi.

Also a pdf released from Randam House spring catalog tell us this about the Fate of the Force story arc:

“Fate of the Jedi launches a huge story arc, with heroic roles for the galaxy’s most beloved characters — Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Leia Organa Solo, and their surviving children, Ben Skywalker and Jaina Solo.

While Luke and Ben set off on the journey of a lifetime — of discovery and hardship, of obstacles and victories—the others remain in more familiar territory, dealing with the aftermath of the civil war that rocked the galaxy in the Legacy of the Force. “
    Last edited by Grade; 23 March 2009 at 12:27 PM.
    Want to play Star Wars RPG PBEM? Then just go to www.starwars-chronicles.com

Star Wars Chronicles Fan Fiction projects:

Truce at Bakura - Finally in the works

Short Stories - Duel of Fates and Honour's 1st draft finished, currently under revision!

Say No to Comic-Book Deaths

I'm actually glad Karen Traviss refused. I'm looking forward to learning about the fate of the Jedi, not the fate of the Mandos.

Immoderator

Originally posted by Ubiqtorate
    I'm actually glad Karen Traviss refused. I'm looking forward to learning about the fate of the Jedi, not the fate of the Mandos.
    It's weird you said that, because I was thinking the same thing when I heard she refused.

Yes, the Mandalorians are relevant to the galaxy, but that doesn't mean I need the Star Wars equivalent of Tolkien's elvish culture (okay, maybe dwarven) fleshed out even further when the characters will be supporting cast.

Let her write a book about how they recover later, when she has time, so all the Mandofans can get their jones sated.
    I awoke
    Only to find my lungs empty
    And through the night
    So it seems I'm not breathing
    And now my dreams are nothing like they were meant to be - Dallas Green (City and Colour), Sleeping Sickness

I just hope that the story arcs are not done like Legacy.

Aurra Sing shows up in one book and is completely forgotten or the War itself.

Short Stories - Duel of Fates and Honour's 1st draft finished, currently under revision!

Character Portrait Artist

Indeed. I was ultimately disappointed by Legacy of the Force. Now they have another nine book series, all hardback this time, and two of the three authors of the previous one. My least favorite of the three is the one that's gone, but that doesn't mean that all the problems are fixed.

While Luke and Ben set off on the journey of a lifetime — of discovery and hardship, of obstacles and victories—the others remain in more familiar territory, dealing with the aftermath of the civil war that rocked the galaxy in the Legacy of the Force.
    That's exciting about Luke and Ben. It's what they should have been doing by the end of LotF, IMO, but we get to spend another nine books picking up the pieces of the last perennial civil war? And why is there an aftermath two years later of something that lasted eight months, and recovery from the five year Yuuzhan Vong Invasion was skipped completely?

Introducing and forgetting Aurra Sing is the tip of the iceberg as far as I see it. With this new series I'm once bitten, twice shy. I might read them, but I'm certainly not buying nine hardcovers.
    Modesty is like Dark Side Points. Everyone has their own opinion on where to draw the line.

Player/author/illustrator for Tam Dawncaller in Star Wars: Tapestry

Webmaster: SWRPGNetwork Submissions
    Kwisatz Haderach

Be wary. You might end up like me: I'm not planning on buying or reading these books because I've been so disappointed and disgusted with the direction Del Rey has taken with the books. Thanks, but no thanks.
    Palpatine/Vader '08
    "Why vote for a lesser evil?"

cćdite eos. novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

I completely agree with Rigil Kent. Will the SW universe ever stop expanding? I don't need any more books in the very late timeframe. And to be honest, my Star Wars universe stops at 22 ABY with "Survor's Quest".

Cheers,

~ HiAd

I have been reading the Legacy and if I would be the creator of "What Is the Star Wars Universe to you?" thread I would place another option: Extremely picky (The Movies or Only the Original and the Expanded Universe is my own creation).

If I was the owner of the licensing of Star Wars I would put Star Wars in the remake tradition that there is out there and reinvented EU from scratch.

The Prequels I would only do if the fans requested... wrong word, demanded of me to make the remakes.

For me the canon stops at the end of ROTJ and my own universe begins. but Only books that are good enough are the X-Wing Series and Survivor's Quest.

I'm very wary about the new books.

Edit: On Betrayal the Jedi acted like very unlike Jedi to me.
    Last edited by Grade; 23 October 2008 at 02:38 PM.

Commanding Officer of the Indomitable

Finally, authors are dealing with the messes they have made! The one thing that annoyed me about the Legacy of the Force series was the total lack of the closure for healing the galaxy. I mean, honestly, another war when 10 years before hand the galaxy was brought to its knees?

I also echo the approval of not having Karen Traviss writing this series. No offense to her, but if I want to read about the Mandalorians, I will read her clone wars novels. Boba Fett is not a saint but a bounty hunter, Mandalorian culture is cool but there time as movers and shakers of the galaxy came twice and ended twice long ago, so I can more then happily live without the Mandalorians in the LotF series.

Now, my cynicism aside, I generally was alright with the LotF (hell, I am doing a sourcebook on the 9 book series) and I am intrigued by this new series. I will give it a chance, on the hope that Del Rey might hit something mildly good.

Cj49
    "You sort of see these recurring themes where a democracy turns itself into a dictatorship, and it always seems to happen kind of in the same way, with the same kinds of issues, and threats from the outside, needing more control. A democratic body, a senate, not being able to function properly because everybody's squabbling, there's corruption."
    ―George Lucas

Co-author of the Rise of the Empire Infinities Sourcebook

Well I love Karen Traviss. Try Denning can right good action but he does not have the flair for character development or bringing out political/social side like Aaron and Karen can.

I'm also a big fan of Mandalorians, they're there to remind Sith and the Jedi that they're not the only sharks in the pond.

As for where the series is going....well thanks to the pile of crap comic set in 130aby we know its going. That comic was a terrible idea.

Finally, authors are dealing with the messes they have made! The one thing that annoyed me about the Legacy of the Force series was the total lack of the closure for healing the galaxy. I mean, honestly, another war when 10 years before hand the galaxy was brought to its knees?
    Quite frankly LotF didn't resolve the underlying problems in the galaxy. The reasons Corellia and the other worlds split weren't resolved, they just put on the back burner when a Sith Lord popped up. The self sufficent sectors only wanted the GA in a loose manner like it was during the Republics, when centeralization began they wanted out because it stank of neo-imperialism. Daala is going to have to deal with a butch of scared people who don't want another empire. A similar war could blow up in five years or ten years.
    Last edited by Ardent; 15 April 2009 at 02:09 PM.

Commanding Officer of the Indomitable

I understand that the LotF series so far hasn't, I am hoping that this book series will finally start dealing with these underlying issues without another galactic war. I understand conflict can sometimes be inevitable, esepcially in a government like Daala's which will enforce the law heavily, but come on, not every brush fire in the galaxy is the beginning of a galactic scale war.

Cj49
    "You sort of see these recurring themes where a democracy turns itself into a dictatorship, and it always seems to happen kind of in the same way, with the same kinds of issues, and threats from the outside, needing more control. A democratic body, a senate, not being able to function properly because everybody's squabbling, there's corruption."
    ―George Lucas

Co-author of the Rise of the Empire Infinities Sourcebook

Character Portrait Artist

the pile of crap comic set in 130aby
    Funny. I always thought it was well written, well drawn, and did a good job of maintaining the 'flavor' of Star Wars.

That brings to mind the expectations I had when I read LOTF. I expected to see a lot of strong ties, causes for features and elements in the Legacy comic books, and a generally tighter package.

Then I started thinking that I was looking at a timespan of roughly 90-100 years. That would be the same as expecting events in Episode I to correlate directly with Vector Prime. Worse, because the NJO happens only 50-60 years after Episode I. But my point is that I shouldn't have expected LOTF to totally stockton Legacy's malone.

This next series will probably shed a little more light on that, but if it's anything like LOTF, I probably won't read it. LOTF wasn't internally cohesive enough for my liking.
    Last edited by Jedi_Shadow; 4 November 2008 at 04:23 PM.
    Modesty is like Dark Side Points. Everyone has their own opinion on where to draw the line.

Player/author/illustrator for Tam Dawncaller in Star Wars: Tapestry

Hey

Just a quick update.

The third book will be Abyss.

Experienced Player

What, *another* anti-Jedi backlash?

Ugh.

Enough. Not picking up this series at all.

Not liking very much Legacy novels, for some reason already discussed on the other thread, however I wish to know what is this story in this one.

What else will they ruined on Star Wars! Joking, not all is bad, some characters are really cool with great potential, but the story somewhat is kinda weak.

Thread Information