Thread: Use the Force...or not

Question Use the Force...or not

I was watching the scene in ROTC where Luke is dropped down the Rancor Pit. As we all know, he throws a skull at the door controls dropping a spiked door down on the poor beastie. Luke 1, Rancor 0.

My question is: Why bother throwing a skull at all? You could miss or not throw it hard enough or have a myriad of other mishaps. Simply use telekinesis and push the button.

D6 Forever!

Who's to say he didn't use telekinesis to help make sure that skull actually hit where he wanted it to hit?

In the quick instant as a giant lumbing creature that wants to eat you is coming towards you, you're probably not in the most calm state of mind to easily concentrate to "flip the switch" on the control panel. Quick instinct said "smash it". Foot said "here's something!" So he picked up the something and threw. Whether he helped it or just left it chance...who knows.

I personally think that there was a small bit of Force use to help that particular chain of events. It's awful convenient that the skull just happened to hit with the right force to wreck a metal control panel and cause the door to close just as the Rancor was getting there. So I think the Force was at play just a little bit.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.
    facta, non verba

experienced groundpounder

I think it was mentioned somewhere that Luke didn't have "fine" control of the force to use it on small switches and such yet, but he did use the force to help guide his "throw."

I know Leia couldn't operate a light switch with the force in Zahn's Heir to the Empire books, got busted by Winter I believe on that one, since she had to get up and turn the light off instead.
    Through darkness we travel, searching for the vibrant silence of light ahead. Though death may take us here, we push on until the evil in this land is vanquished.

I think Luke was to exhausted to even use force powers at that moment
    Take an D20 RPG approach. He is about an 8th level character. lvl 2 fringer and lvl 6 Jedi Guardian? So he has about 40 vitality points I guese

- He walks in to the palace force gripping two gamorian guards which costs him vitality points
    - He used affect mind on Bib Fortuna. This it costed him some vitality points
    - tried to affect mind Jabba once or twice. This costs him vitality points
    - He used Move object to pull that blaster out of that guy's holster
    - He got involved in some brawling and there were shots fired. THAT must have costed him vitality points!
    - He fel down the pit. 1d6 or 2d6 damage?
    - He used some sort of force power to make the Rancor forget him for a moment and attack the gamorian
    - He got in melee combat with the rancor rancor tried to grab him and he hit him back with a rock. May have costed him vitality points
    - Rancor grabed him...and it shows that that hurt a bit. So it costed him vitality points
    - Rancor dropped him. So he fel 2 or 3 meters. Atleast 1d6 damage!

I think it's safe to say that Luke was out of vitality points or was atleast low on vitality points and knew he better save his strength for what was yet to come.
    Simply put...he was exhausted.
    Yes kid I do believe in the force, brute force.

Jedi Master, Scholar, and Keeper of the True Light

If we look at it using Saga, that is no longer a problem.
    "Faith Manages." - Ambassador Delenn
    Potentate of the Rose

Experienced Player

Originally posted by Lucas Carr
    If we look at it using Saga, that is no longer a problem.
    Except that he'd already used "Move Object" to grab the guard's blaster pistol, and was out of Force points, so he couldn't return it to his suite.

(Just bein' a smart arse! )
    Regards,
    Aldaron
    "Our molecules were formed in the furnace of ancient stars...it is our destiny to return home."

"Debug? Klingons do not debug! Our software does not coddle the weak!"

Sorry to take this one step further but could he have used the Move Light Object aspect of the Use The FOrce skill on the skull or would it be too big?
    I think I ran over a Wookiee - Anonymous caller: THX 1138

I'm ten but I'm tall for my age - Captain Rex

(\__/)
    (+'.'+) This is Bunny. Copy & paste him
    (")_(") into your signature to help him gain world domination

Maybe just a crazy idea then...

But POSSIBLY Lucas just wanted to make a cool scene and never worried about the things we a breaking out heads on now.
    Yes kid I do believe in the force, brute force.

Let's go with that one, it makes more sense than us breaking it down into its component parts.
    I think I ran over a Wookiee - Anonymous caller: THX 1138

I'm ten but I'm tall for my age - Captain Rex

(\__/)
    (+'.'+) This is Bunny. Copy & paste him
    (")_(") into your signature to help him gain world domination

Originally posted by Starlighter

But POSSIBLY Lucas just wanted to make a cool scene and never worried about the things we a breaking out heads on now.
    Too true... and that's good enough for me. But I think gmjabreson has the right of it: I can't remember exactly, and I don't have the book handy, but IIRC the RotJ novelization makes some mention of Luke's desperation and/or lack of fine control when hurling the bones...
    "Half the fun of God's forgiveness is having reasons to ask for it."

Lightbulb Nah, not crazy...

Originally posted by Starlighter

but remind me to hire you as my Press Secretary.
    Last edited by stoic_75; 24 August 2009 at 07:59 AM.

Student of the Force

don't forget that in phantom menace, during final saber showdown, Maul uses telekinesis to grab an object from the floor and hurl it at a control panel to open the door behind him....seems to me to be how the Force works - not so much fine control. only the emperor demonstrated such control, when he unlocked luke's binders in the throneroom.

Hello all!

Here is another possible aspect to keep in mind. Remember that Luke has had - like his father before him - a relatively normal childhood. Meaning that he learned to have emotions including fear and panic. And he still had fears when he left Dagobah in "The Empire Strikes Back". So it might be possible that Luke was just afraid by this immense creature and threw the object out of a panic reflex. Once thrown he might have used the Force to finally control its flight.

Just an idea.

Cheers,

~ HiAd

Good point. That's at least somewhat reasonable.

Originally posted by Deck
    Hello all!

Here is another possible aspect to keep in mind. Remember that Luke has had - like his father before him - a relatively normal childhood. Meaning that he learned to have emotions including fear and panic. And he still had fears when he left Dagobah in "The Empire Strikes Back". So it might be possible that Luke was just afraid by this immense creature and threw the object out of a panic reflex. Once thrown he might have used the Force to finally control its flight.

Just an idea.

Cheers,

~ HiAd

Thread Information