Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: WotC is NOT renewing Star Wars license

My dream is for Paizo to buy it and make Pathfinder Star Wars.

New Republic Intelligence Special Agent
    The place furthest away from the bright spot in the Universe.

Originally posted by darth_borehd
    My dream is for Paizo to buy it and make Pathfinder Star Wars.
    Never understood the love for Pathfinder, it's 99% D&D 3.5 edition I'm not sure why people find it so incredible and innovative. I've read the books and I STILL can't see any difference whatsoever between PF and D&D 3.5. If Paizo got the license they'd roll us back to RCR skewed balance and all the problems that entails. NO THANKS.

I've always wanted White Wolf to have the license from a mechanical standpoint, though that's extremely unlikely now that they seem to be more a video game IP company than anything else (despite their press releases denying it, actions speak louder than words).

But from a fluff standpoint if WW had it we'd get melodrama and angst that would make prequel trilogy Anakin look positively stoic in comparison.

About the Mongoose thing? There's a lot of speculation they were blowing hot air, something they've been known to do in the past (anyone who follows the RPG industry closely may remember the "holy grail" incident which vanished into the mists with them backpedaling on what they said). They even backtracked and claimed they never said that but... They sort of ended with an ambiguous quote that another company had grabbed the license, however, given the lack of announcement in the (close to a year I think?) since that happened, I'm not taking any stock in that. Rumors were AEG got it, or possibly Green Ronin; AEG's ok I guess, and I do like Green Ronin, but their (Green Ronin's) handling of the Dragon Age license they have (had? I wouldn't be surprised if that's fallen through) has me wondering if they're up to the task. Hopefully if they do have it, they learned from that fiasco though.

Personally I'm just hoping it's not class/level based (archetypes are fine though). I just prefer more natural growth instead of limited "jumps" and the strictness of level systems.
    Last edited by ironwolf56; 26 May 2011 at 09:14 PM.
    "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine"

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Immoderator

If you'd like to speculate on who will take over the license, you can do so here.
    I awoke
    Only to find my lungs empty
    And through the night
    So it seems I'm not breathing
    And now my dreams are nothing like they were meant to be - Dallas Green (City and Colour), Sleeping Sickness

Experienced Player

Wow. It's been a very long time since I've been on this forum. Probably around 2004 or 2005. Once high school came around, I stopped with the SWRPG stuff and whatnot. Now that I've graduated college, I was cleaning my childhood room and found a bunch of my SWRPG books and binders of printouts and such. Even the old Arms & Equipment guide supplements I worked on with Elfword. Crazy stuff.

Not only are there a gazillion more books (written by Moridin! how awesome!), but to see that the license expired...2 years ago, that just feels weird. Another piece of my childhood is gone. Don't know how I feel about that.

Good luck to all of you, maybe we can start up a nostalgia game in the future.

And of course--May the Force Be With You.
    "It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians, not on religion, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ."
    -Patrick Henry

Wow, been gone for a while and just checking things back out....I'm open to help out with any supplements or whatever, PM me or IM me if interested.

D6 Forever!

Hey, you're always welcome to come back here and kick around, rubbing elbows with all of us old timers still sitting around.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.
    facta, non verba

Experienced Player

Default Long Time No See, Friends

It's been ages since I've been on here as well. Life has gotten the way a lot over the last several years, but it's good to know that the Holonet is still around. It's even outlasted WotC's licensing apparently.

So how is everybody? I still have Donovan Morningfire's fanfic downloaded on my old computer. Gods, I loved the Donovan Saga & wish it could've continued.
    "Certain things are a matter of destiny, and certain things are a matter of choice."--Jedi Master Thon of Ambria

"To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself."-- Quote from my Sith War TPB back cover.

My dream in a future OT Special Edition: seeing TIE Advanced and TIE Defenders at the Battle of Endor.

So I'm reviving this thread and here why.

Today I went to have a look at Wizards of Coast forum and check the star wars sub-topic. While some topics are somewhat active, it shocked me to see low to no activity in some of the forums. It was almost heart breaking, for me because I have vivid memories going there and see plenty of new threads and suggestions of new campaigns and tips of creating stats and that sort of stuff.

I felt very sad to visit the Star Wars forums at wizard.
    Want to play Star Wars RPG PBEM? Then just go to www.starwars-chronicles.com

Star Wars Chronicles Fan Fiction projects:

Truce at Bakura - Finally in the works

Short Stories - Duel of Fates and Honour's 1st draft finished, currently under revision!

In the most wretched hive of scum and villany...Washington, DC.

Are you surprised, though? If Wizards isn't doing Star Wars, then naturally the Star Wars subforums at Wizard would fade away.

I never really went there, myself. For me, the only Star Wars forum worth visiting is the Holonet. Bar none.
    Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has at least two, and they usually stink.

Please, visit my blog. It's lonely. And while you're at it, leave a comment too.

I wasn't really surprised, but never expected slow movement there.

I myself went for SWTOR forums, but after some decision I didn't agree with and some changes on the look of forums I simply walk away.

But I have to agree here it is the only place worth visiting for Star Wars, despite I keep an eye on Theforce.net forums, since it discussing a lot of stuff.

Short Stories - Duel of Fates and Honour's 1st draft finished, currently under revision!

D6 Forever!

Though I hate to say it, the evidence largely speaks more loudly (as evidenced), but I always felt the newer fans to Star Wars RPG were just "fair weather friends", so to speak. They are around while the game is in print and all the rage, but once the company stops making stuff, they jump ship and move on to other things. There are, of course, exceptions (as evidenced by this site), but for the most part the setting of Star Wars just ceases to be of interest to so many people once there's no currently supported game system for it. You'll see them pop up again if FFG ever releases a Star Wars RPG.

The people on THIS site tend to like Star Wars to the extent that they will continue to play or support or even talk about it long after the game system they use has gone out of print. They appreciate the setting, or the ideas of the setting, enough to stay with it through the heady days when it's all the rage, and during the "dark times" between systems when nearly everyone else has forgotten the game.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.
    facta, non verba

Blog Entries

I also think the Prequels, love them or hate them, affected the way that the Star Wars as an IP is perceived by the fans. Before the Prequels, with a few exceptions if you were a Star Wars fan you always had the movies as a touchstone, something that everyone who liked Star Wars really liked. The Prequels caused a pretty big division among fans; Star Wars lost a little bit of its invincibility in the minds of the fandom.

I don't think it is the games themselves that cause a difference in RPG fandom, but a change to the tenor of Star Wars as a whole. I think that there are plenty of die-hard d20 and Saga Edition fans out there that are just as jazzed today as they were five years ago (believe me, I get e-mails every day from people still talking about Saga Edition, and I haven't been in charge of that line almost 3 years). I just also think the Holonet has the advantage of coming from a D6 heritage first, where a lot of fans got entrenched in the days before the Prequels, and so we have a more solid bedrock of fans who got heavily invested before it became easy to lose your investment in Star Wars.
    Rodney "Moridin" Thompson
    Game Designer
    Webmaster, SWRPGNetwork
    Follow me on Twitter: @AntarianRanger

Experienced Player

Its too bad about the WotC forums, though I never got into D20 or Saga, that does not mean I didn't appreciate the ideas spawned from the books and from the fans... If I had my way all the RPG forum folks would migrate here. This is pretty well the only place I go for my SWrpg fix, I go other places occasionally but mostly only to check on the status of Fan-guides and the like.

I do agree that it isn't just the system that drives folks away from the heavy investment into Star Wars (well the rpg in this case), the division the Prequels created are a big part of it but I think they are the most visual symbol of the problem. The problem with it, as I see it, is that between 1996 and 2000 the universe started shrinking instead of expanding. The Prequels did this to a large degree but I think the attitude is prevalent across a lot of the EU as well; the unEssential Guides are horrible at it along with some of the EU writers.

Furthermore there is a case of the reboot syndrome where what has come before isn't good enough anymore so its dragged through the mud, stomped on then blasted into oblivion as something new takes its place. This happened about the same time as the prequels with the NJO and that was a big turn-off for some folks (Its actually interesting for me to watch other multiple author, longinsh running fiction settings do this and drive some fans away).

Now the pre-prequel stuff wasn't perfect. There is a lot of it I flat out disagree with. Even so the stuff I eliminated from my SW interpretation tried to expanded the universe somehow.

Blog Entries

I think the "shrinking the universe" observation is an excellent one, and something any continuity-heavy setting has to deal with. There are some authors that want to make all kinds of connections between things for some reason, and I also think Lucasfilm didn't object to that shrinking because the ever-expanding fact file made it harder and harder to keep track of everything. Still, I know that when I was heading up the RPG, when dealing with LFL there were certain authors they encouraged us to avoid using because they had a tendency to try and make everything "fit together" which can be harmful for many reasons.

I think you also make a good point about NJO, it was quite divisive. I think the late 90's/early 2000s definitely saw official media creating a lot of divisions as they did some pretty radical things to the universe. Looking at WEG and the EU up to that point, for the most part everything fit pretty nicely into a similar milieu (and the exceptions, like Dark Empire in my humble opinion, were often ignored by a large swath of the fanbase). The changes to the tone of the universe and the divisions of opinion among the fans definitely contributed to making it easier for fans to "jump off the train" so to speak.

To be honest, that was probably inevitable. Take a look at any heavy-continuity IP and you see the same thing happen almost every time.
    Rodney "Moridin" Thompson
    Game Designer
    Webmaster, SWRPGNetwork
    Follow me on Twitter: @AntarianRanger

The CW is the worst offender at the moment as it pretty much ignores established continuity form the comics, 2D Tv series and books. I know it would be hard to do them with them existed, with Anakin and Obi-Wan, etc, they could be focus on other characters aside for them or even incorporate some of stories in the 3D TV series. At this point I turn off any continuity Star Wars has, I read and watch Star Wars for pure enjoyment, regardless of which level of canon belongs.

The key for this, since Even Piell's death on The Clone Wars, I decided to create my own Star Wars continuity and for me free up a lot for me to just enjoy reading Star Wars book, or watching the Clone Wars. I don't play Star Wars game since new games are far in between (at this point nothings is coming out) and TFU is just fun for gameplay, but the story was too weak and many Gary Sue's points and without making any sense. My new view of Star Wars continuity is pretty much GL view of continuity, He has his Star Wars Version, the EU has its own vision and I have my own vision what is Star Wars.

Moridin, I find interesting that LFL encourage you to avoid using certain authors. I do have question for you about the guides of Saga. How come you drop certain information of the planets in Saga books like History, that existed in D20 books?

Experienced Player

Grade, There is a reason the CW are so bad at being part of the EU... The head of the CW show, Filoni I think his name is, does an interview in the July Insider (its floating around the internet if you know where to look). In it he says the EU and the Movies/tv series are two different universes (yes he equates the CW to the films) and thus feels free to borrow/change the EU however is convenient for the CW.

Thread Information