Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Old Republic - Bioware thread

I write completly off a company, because it showed a lack of interest of what they release those endings. I would speculate that they don't have any interest in continuing with Mass Effect universe, ever.

I go to forums in SWTOR and follow some thread there. Since Drew Krash... whatever is name is, is the lead writer and the quality writing he produced in ME1, 2 and KOTOR, he by norm wouldn't do nothing of this stuff.
    Want to play Star Wars RPG PBEM? Then just go to www.starwars-chronicles.com

Star Wars Chronicles Fan Fiction projects:

Truce at Bakura - Finally in the works

Short Stories - Duel of Fates and Honour's 1st draft finished, currently under revision!

Well, bioware has been implying that they will continue to use the ME universe, both for the film (if that ever happens) and other games. This of course is only vague stuff, but my own speculation is a potential online game, if not a full fledged mmo than something more along the lines of quake wars - but of course: what ending of ME3 is considered canon? we don't know (yet), and this would have implications on future games, if any. Of course bioware would not benefit of going into competition with itself with another mmo...

Drew Kapryshyn (I dont know how its spelled but I know who you mean) is good to have on board, although the impact he has on the game as a whole I'm unsure of, but if he has some "real" power, than we would not have to deal with too bad decisions (yet). If ME3 would have been vastly different with him on-board, we will never know, if this was the artistic and narrative vision of bioware then they have shown no lack of interest in the game, rather they have been caught between trying to appease impatient fans (the game was postponed at least 6 months) and staying true to their own ideas... I would not go so far as call it integrity, but at least they have given us what they wanted to give us, which when it comes down to it, is nothing like the two previous games.
    "What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Jegergryte's Cubicle

My home made supplements.

Quote Originally Posted by JegerGryte View Post
    Well, bioware has been implying that they will continue to use the ME universe, both for the film (if that ever happens) and other games. This of course is only vague stuff, but my own speculation is a potential online game, if not a full fledged mmo than something more along the lines of quake wars - but of course: what ending of ME3 is considered canon? we don't know (yet), and this would have implications on future games, if any. Of course bioware would not benefit of going into competition with itself with another mmo...

Drew Kapryshyn (I dont know how its spelled but I know who you mean) is good to have on board, although the impact he has on the game as a whole I'm unsure of, but if he has some "real" power, than we would not have to deal with too bad decisions (yet). If ME3 would have been vastly different with him on-board, we will never know, if this was the artistic and narrative vision of bioware then they have shown no lack of interest in the game, rather they have been caught between trying to appease impatient fans (the game was postponed at least 6 months) and staying true to their own ideas... I would not go so far as call it integrity, but at least they have given us what they wanted to give us, which when it comes down to it, is nothing like the two previous games.
    Mass Effect franchise is dead, because people (gamers) will not look the same to it. Also ME gamers are not MMO gamers, the majority asked if it is possible to get 100% readiness without entering the multiplayer. Also I'm not sure if Mass Effect MMO will have the same impact after the endings debacle. Let's see what happens.

I read in the ME3 forums, so not use if this is true or not, that EA is angry at Bioware and wanted the lead writer of ME3 to be fired for killing the franchise and forced Bioware to work on now that is titled Extended ending that will be release in the summer.
    Last edited by Grade; 7 April 2012 at 04:18 AM.

Short Stories - Duel of Fates and Honour's 1st draft finished, currently under revision!

I seriously doubt that the ME franchise is dead, I mean the prequel trilogy didn't manage to kill star wars, even though it should have. Neither is the fact that gamers look at the universe differently synonymous with "death", it just means they are going to have a hard time convincing people about a potential new game set in that universe. As I said, an mmo is unlikely in my opinion, because of the finality of the endings (they are not generative, except maybe for the synthesis ending, they are final and regressive rather), but also as you say: ME gamers are not mmo gamers, but I think they could enjoy a multiplayer online game, with a story element. I am (or was) not an mmo gamer I until SWTOR came along either, but I would probably test a ME mmo, but I'd rather have something else, I like games (stories in general really) to end.

If EA is angry its only because they won't earn more (or what they consider enough) money on this franchise, but in this case that might be a good thing, although it says nothing about quality and future shape and form of anything ME-related. I for one is looking forward to the extended ending/cut dlc and any future plans of ME, simply because its a good universe, a good idea and such a long and good story. Even if the end is abrupt, executed in a simple and 1-dimensional way. The whole idea about the catalyst and all that is pretty cool, but it could have been 50% of the game just to find it, find out more about it and the pantheon of the ME cosmos that we have not been privy to until the last 30 minutes of roughly 150 hour of game time.

I mean, there are similarities to the Star Wars universe here really. Much, I'd say most, of what we know about the force, the jedi, the sith, the empire, anything really, in the star wars universe was created after or between the films, not by Lucas himself, but by others. The Star Wars saga is about 15 hours long, give or take a little (depending upon edition and stuff). It tells us nothing about anything really, except a story about a whiny guy, who gets a whiny son, and there's a lot of whining, and some cool support characters, some shooting and some cool lasersword fights. There are plot holes and crappy endings, retconning and new holes in the story appearing, but we're (mostly) fine with this. Why? I think because we have such a vast amount of material available to us, we can ignore Lucas and his crappy writing and ideas if we want to, we can make star wars our own ... not so with ME, yet...
    Last edited by JegerGryte; 7 April 2012 at 08:01 AM.
    "What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Jegergryte's Cubicle

Talking about retconning: Darth Maul is apparently no longer a Zabrak, but a Dathomirian, which is, I think, a human-zabrak hybrid... ? ergh.. Maul will always be a zabrak in my star wars universe.

But, back on track of this thread, anyone tried SWTOR? thinking about testing?

Jegergryte's Cubicle

Quote Originally Posted by JegerGryte View Post
    Talking about retconning: Darth Maul is apparently no longer a Zabrak, but a Dathomirian, which is, I think, a human-zabrak hybrid... ? ergh.. Maul will always be a zabrak in my star wars universe.
    Something we agree with. Also Darth Maul died in Naboo!

Quote Originally Posted by Grade View Post
    To be fair I was thinking in getting this game, but after the debacle of Mass Effect 3 endings, I'm not sure.
    LOL, yeah.... How DOES one get a job as a writer for a project with such potential a THIRD time after having dropped the ball on the endings of the two previous stories?? [/eyeroll] I want THAT guys nerf-life connections.

Here's the thing. Drew Kapryshyn was the lead writer of ME1 and 2 and he personally wrote the biggest events of those games.

He wasn't involve in ME3 and the new lead writer decided to be best to drop what Drew established for the story for the trilogy. And it involved Dark Energy.

So yes they dropped the ball and made huge dent on glass floor.

SWtOR was a really good game in my opinion. Yes there were some issues, like no remote queuing for instances, but they eventually fixed stuff like that. The only reason I stopped playing is because I got the carpul tunnel and it hurt after a while.

Moving on to ME. The game itself as awesome. I loved it. Except of the ending, but I'll get back to that. It has great streamlined combat, great character dialogue and every strategic choice you made really had an impact...like does this planet get wiped out? Is it with turning on a friend to pick an extra fleet? Some of those choices really hurt. Great story telling. The ending....yeah. f that noise. I was pissed that it was such hot garbage. That being said, bioware is one of the masters of compelling story driven games. I personally will keep buying their products because on the whole, they are amazing.
    "Choke on that, causality!"

Thread Information