Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Old Republic - Bioware thread

Default The Old Republic - Bioware thread

Hi guys.

Following Derrynger suggestion, I decided to start a thread about the upcoming Star Wars multiplayer game called The Old Republic.

I will leave the two theatrical trailers of the game:

Deceived Trailer

Hope Trailer

These trailers just blew me out of the water and I'm kind of sad, since it would be nice to have this kind of combats in the Prequels.

Feel free to talk about any aspects of this game.
    Want to play Star Wars RPG PBEM? Then just go to www.starwars-chronicles.com

Star Wars Chronicles Fan Fiction projects:

Truce at Bakura - Finally in the works

Short Stories - Duel of Fates and Honour's 1st draft finished, currently under revision!

D6 Forever!

Thumbs up

Nice!

I'm going to look over them both once more tonight before I post a lot of thoughts on them, but my initial thought is: Impressive. Most Impressive.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.
    facta, non verba

Grand Admiral
    Bridge of the Imperial Star Destroyer Chimaera

Seriously, BioWare just needs to make a damn CGI Star Wars movie ala Final Fantasy Advent Children. -.-
    "I forget nothing.", Thrawn(The Last Command)

(\__/)
    (+'.'+) This is Bunny. Copy & paste him
    (")_(") into your signature to help him gain world domination!

Currently Playing:
    Toryn Vale [SAGA] Rights of Sentience

Worked On:
    Kashyyyk and Other Worlds Sourcebook - A HoloNet Members Project (Stalled)
    Another Add-on Story (Yuuzhan Vong)

And if you want to see them in bigger screen you can download them. When the player of trailer you are watching on the buttons next to the fullscreen you have an arrow which is the to download.

linkstarwars: I agree.

Short Stories - Duel of Fates and Honour's 1st draft finished, currently under revision!

Irish fanatic

I'm incredibly disappointed in BioWare, in spite of these trailers.

A. These are not in-game shots; they are clearly pre-rendered.

B. Focusing on the second trailer. Okay, we have a Darth Malak wannabe, a Darth Revan wannabe, and a Bastila wannabe. For all its flaws, at least TSL had original characters.

C. The styling is very prequel-ish and not KotOR-ish at all, which is incredibly disappointing. The Republic troopers look like Ep3 clones, the unmasked guy even looked like Temura Morrison.

D. This "True Sith" is incredibly disappointing from the way Kreia talked about them in TSL. I was hoping for a more worthy bad guy, not just another boring Sith.

E. If BioWare made a CG Star Wars movie, I would be interested. If BioWare made KotOR 3, I would be interested. TOR holds no interest for me whatsoever. It's just...fail. I foresee its being mediocre at best.
    "Don't be shocked that people die; be surprised you're still alive."
    --Flyleaf, "Cassie (acoustic)"
    Djesersekhmet in Lucas Carr's Dawn of Defiance.
    Visit DAZ3D for all your digital art needs!

D6 Forever!

Well, maybe the game would be mediocre, but the pre-rendered graphics are pretty darn tooting great!

I really can't imagine what type of computer you'd need to be able to play a game where the graphics were that high quality all of the time.

All in all, I agree with linkstarwars. I think there needs to be a feature length movie made with this type of graphics. Better than the stuff on TV.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.
    facta, non verba

Default The Necronomicron Speaks: You want gameplay?

Admiral, yes, the trailers are oh-so-pretty, but don't let them distract you from the rest of the coverage!!!!!!!

G4's E3 interview is chock FULL of gameplay demonstrations, not only what has been seen before in the various "class-based" introductions we have seen so far, but (for example) in the Mutiplayer Combat demo, you see a 4-man party which appears to clearly indicate (finally!!!!!) 2 of the Player Races other than HUMANS!!

There is a Mon Cal and a Twi-Lek in the 4-man party and the Mon cal definitely is fully kitted as a Republic Trooper, so NOT a companion!

The gameplay examples are all over the place, do not grieve.

(and yeah, we would appreciate a TOR CGI movie, they'll get around to it, maybe)
    FULONGAMER aka Johannes M. Bowers
    It's not My planet Monkey-boy! / I Waste Him With My Bowcaster!
    THIS is my LIGHT-Stick!, The next one of you Furry Tree-Hugger Yub-Yub Primitives EVEN TOUCHES me....**FZOOOK**

Irish fanatic

Well, maybe the game would be mediocre, but the pre-rendered graphics are pretty darn tooting great!
    Bear in mind that the game itself will not look that good.

I really can't imagine what type of computer you'd need to be able to play a game where the graphics were that high quality all of the time.
    One that doesn't exist at this point. Pre-rendered graphics work fine in minimally interactive games like Myst, but an interactive game with pre-rendered graphics would kill Bill Gates's best computer.

The gameplay examples are all over the place, do not grieve.
    I do grieve, because they just don't look that great to me. Personally, BioWare would have been better off giving the fans what they wanted: KotOR3.
    "Don't be shocked that people die; be surprised you're still alive."
    --Flyleaf, "Cassie (acoustic)"
    Djesersekhmet in Lucas Carr's Dawn of Defiance.
    Visit DAZ3D for all your digital art needs!

Not sure if anyone has tested the game, but I must say Im more or less satisfied. Below is a bit of info, but it should not be spoilers as such, since all (at least most) of this should be accessible without playing the game.

I must, to a certain degree at least, agree with the issue Zaarin brings up about the look, its distinctly more clone war era than kotor, but aside from this the class stories (that I have tested so far) are pretty cool and well made. The troopers are pretty cool to play, even though they look more like clones (in the trailer at least, I play a zabrak trooper) than earlier republic troopers portrayed in the kotor era. I attribute this to the fact that its been a few centuries, pluss there's a been a bloody long war, thus changing style, design and tech to suit war time, rather than peace keeping (more practical looking than pleasing to the eye) ... I know its a thin line of argument filled with a whole lot holes and flaws, but it works for me

I agree on the sith in the trailer being malak-like, although Darth Malgus' (as he's named) armour looks more like Vaders... its a definite tribute to both (as Malak definitely was a tribute to what Vader could've been, in my mind). The Bastilla Shan look-alike is Bastilla Shans descendant I think, her name is Satelle Shan, leader of the Jedi Order (I think ... I dont play Jedi so I dont know about that hierarchy yet), so the similarity is intentional. Original? perhaps not, but it creates a narrative continuity that I think bioware (and lucas arts) seeks. If that is good or bad is a matter of taste I guess.

The "true sith", as far as I know, is a mix of Naga Sadow-era sithiness and something else like the OT Empire would look like with tons of sith instead of two... the sith emperor is also a tribute to the expanded universe Palpatine and his desire for immortality through reincarnations, but rather this guy just doesn't die (I think)... I must admit its not what Kreia postulated, but then, she was a silly and crazy bint up to no good, lying and cheating and trying to kill you in the end, so why trust her? ;P

There is no, as far as I know, one bad guy, its more like many, most of them imperial (if you play republic side, it is of course not so simple, but I cant say more in fear of spoiling the game for any potential players). I have yet to finish the class story for my trooper, but its taken me all over the galaxy (in good kotor spirit), Im now on alderaan, having already visited tatooine and taris (amongst others).

Its (perhaps) no kotor3, but its still in my opinion a very good game... the down side is that it requires hours and hours of play, which in a life like mine makes progress in the game very slow. But its got a good story element, interaction with fellow players works ok, cooperation is encouraged and works pretty well. Im sure there's more bad stuff, but I have come to understand (and have admitted to myself) that Im a fanboy... this makes my evaluations of anything star wars related less objective than it should be, but Im fine with that
    Last edited by JegerGryte; 7 April 2012 at 03:28 AM. Reason: typos
    "What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Jegergryte's Cubicle

My home made supplements.

To be fair I was thinking in getting this game, but after the debacle of Mass Effect 3 endings, I'm not sure.

Well, having played ME3, which had a silly ending certainly, I would hesitate to compare or equate the two games based on that incident.

First of all, the games are very different, both in how their respective plausibility structures are built, but also because of biowares responsibility to the universe-creators. While not all star wars games are great stuff, they have to fit into lucas arts artistic and creative box in addition to what bioware wants to do with the game, whereas ME3 only has to fit into what bioware wants.

Also, ME3 is a great game (in my opinion) until the cut-scene ending starts, but up until that point its a great game with good story, the ending might ruin it, but the game is not bad. SWTOR is a very different game, its more rpg than third person shooter which I think we can agree that ME3 is, its not much of an rpg anymore, if it ever was. SWTOR also has a very different scope and scale, its an mmo which means its a game thats meant to be played beyond the story too and the story will (most likely) be expanded upon in future updates (1.2 comes out "soon" which will add more apparently) and future expansions packs.

I would recommend SWTOR to anyone with a love for gaming, star wars and rpgs. I never did try galaxies, and have only really tried one other mmo which I didnt like, so I was never the mmo-type, until SWTOR came along. I sound like a post-boy or whatever you call it, suffice to say, Bioware pays me nothing to brag like this I pay them monthly fees to experience what I have come think of as one of the best star wars experiences in the last 5-7 years.
    "What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Jegergryte's Cubicle

Don't get me wrong, the game (ME3) is a good game, but in the end Bioware lied to its costumers. The trailers and marketing stuff is not true what the game delivers, regardless how good the game is.

True, but its theirs to do with as they want... I might not like it, they might be liers... so what? we got the game we got and they wont change it, except give us extended cut scenes and more fluff (in a free dlc coming this summer), the end stays the same, pick one of three colours and enjoy the fireworks.
    Last edited by JegerGryte; 7 April 2012 at 03:29 AM.

Jegergryte's Cubicle

It is question more the endings were promise to bring closure, when it didn't. I knewing that this was the ending they market the game as something else. In some countries lieing marketing can lead to few years in prison.

Sure it is a game and as such I treat as such. No more games from bioware from me, because at this point no one can guarantee they won't do the same with SWTOR or any of their future games.

Well, the ending did bring closure, just not what (some/many) people wanted and had expected (understandably), due to what bioware had been talking about and promising since day one. Of course, the endings could also be said to symbolise very different philosophical narratives about the future of mankind, although I wouldn't really expect anyone to buy into that, because of the way it was executed; i.e. poorly.

To loose trust in a company is fair enough, but to loose all trust and therefore write the company off completely, because of one bad decision in relation to one game, is odd in my mind, but hey its not my business. All I have to say is that SWTOR is a great game, the story is good and yes they might mess it up in the future, but basing my decisions on such pessimistic potential could-have-beens and might-bes and what-ifs is not the way I roll, I base it on an optimistic appraisal of potential. To quote Gramsci: "Pessimism of intellect, optimism of will"...
    Last edited by JegerGryte; 7 April 2012 at 03:19 AM. Reason: foul language

Jegergryte's Cubicle

Thread Information