View Poll Results: Could This Work?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would like to contribute to a game leveled like this.

0 0%
  • This wouldn't work because....

0 0%
  • It could work if....

1 100.00%
  • This is too weird for me.

0 0%

Thread: a Becoming-Heroic Adventure-Thriller Leveling Idea

Default a Becoming-Heroic Adventure-Thriller Leveling Idea

Okay, so I'm drafting a module that I hope will catch on for, probably, two players. This story will be Star Wars in setting (technology, travel, some mythology), but might not be especially Star Warsy in plot. I'd like to provide scenarios that emphasize character development (by no means am I saying Star Wars writing has not done this). There will be action, thrills, and character success will depend more on problem solving than firepower (at least for chapter one).

Because I'd like to offer a story that is heavily about character growth, about becoming heroic, I'll be proposing the characters start as second level non-heroics limited to noncombat skills to start. In exchange, I will give one level of Noble for free in addition to one level in a class of the player's choosing (based on their actions in game) after the first waypoint/end of chapter one.

Beyond this, characters would earn one level per 18 posts. Posts that develop character or significantly advance the plot would count as two of the player's 18. This is in addition to levels gained at chapter/way points. It's an incentive idea that would speed leveling to compensate for the pre-heroic level start.

What kind of feel might it give the game? Is it viable? Heh, heh.... would anyone be interested in this kind of arrangement? I'm holding off on the story proposal for now, until I'm ready for a Trader's post.

I'm grateful for any thoughts and feedback.

Personally I would be wary of setting a numerical factor, which you might come to regret later (though it could always be reviewed and adjusted, of course). I've seen some exceedingly short posts in games, and wouldn't want things to get 'uncomfortable' with a player when I have to explain that I'm not going to count some of his posts toward his 16-for-a-level.
    I'd word it as 'additional levels will be earned for good roleplaying' , while perhaps off-line keeping a mental-target of 'about 16 good posts'. It's like GM's dice rolls: the PCs needn't know all that's going on behind the scenes.

Now on the other hand, considering the reduced crowd we have on the Holonet these days, I don't anticipate any problems with your suggested method.

D6 Forever!

Thumbs up ditto

Well said, Ronin. I was thinking the same thing, but didn't have time to type that out with the appropriate words so it didn't just sound like I disliked the idea. But I agree with everything you've said about the caution and how to address it.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.
    facta, non verba

Your feedback is definitely appreciated, guys. Thanks! I have to admit having done some head scratching, myself, over naming a number of posts that could equal a level. And, worry over exceptionally short posts was another reason I offered:

Posts that develop character or significantly advance the plot would count as two of the player's 18.
    Going for an incentive-leaning approach....

I hope I'm not coming off as disagreeing, or making excuses, because I sincerely appreciate all feedback!

I like your wording, Ronin: "Additional levels will be earned for good roleplaying'."

Also, what about pulling back on the accelerated leveling after the second or third level? Or, would keeping an accelerated leveling approach throughout do something for the story and participation?

So, I'm thinking that I'll consolidate what we come up with in one post just prior to launch. Speaking of which, it sure would be cool, and an honor, to have you guys along on this one.

I hope I'm not coming off as disagreeing, or making excuses, because I sincerely appreciate all feedback!
    No problem at all. I, personally, am simply disinclined to state (numerically, at any rate) conditions for character progression in an online game. If it were tabletop then there's of course experience points, but then again tabletop games also move so much faster. I'd rather remove any possible disagreement between the GM and player (a player might see their post as being plot/character developing, while the GM might not).
    As for level progression, I think I would tailor that to the difficulty-curve I had planned out for the adventure. If the greatest challenge the players will face initially is a couple of level-1 non-heroic gutter punks but a couple of scenes later they'll be on the run from a squad of Imperial storm troopers then level progression would have to reflect that...and of course if you want them to run from those storm troopers rather than face them, then don't hand out too many levels (using combat for the above example, though the same would apply for whatever type of challenges they would face, be it the use of social skills, leadership, piloting, etc).

Anyway, I will be submitting a character. I have a question or two to ask in the recruitment thread first.

Originally posted by Ronin
    I have a question or two to ask in the recruitment thread first.
    I hope I covered these for you, and please don't miss the edits over there in the recruitment thread.

Thread Information