Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Becoming-Heroic Suspense Thriller [recruiting]

I like where Rick is going very much, Vice! It looks like some thought went into that guy. Just a couple of things....

It looks like Rick could be from Correlia or Eriadu.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Eriadu

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Correlia

Of course it's cool to make up the name of a system, too. I suppose it doesn't matter for now, but just in case the characters find themselves in another system soon, it could help me to know the name of one they'd been to. In the case of Rick, his home system seems pretty essential to who he is.

Also, I'm assuming he does not actually have a 1911.45, though that gives us a visual, right? So, maybe one of these?

http://saga-edition.com/morellian-we...forcer-pistol/

A few stat issues grabbed my attention. Rick's Grp score should be 2 (+1 Base Attack + 1 Dex). And I'm wondering about the knowledge category under skills. Please specify what you'd like that to be knowledge of.

I appreciate that background. I can see Rick becoming an interesting character!

Hmm... I will go with Corellia since it does have some ancient devices on it. Also we know a bunch about it so you could easily use it for whatever you needed to. that and going away to a university would be as simple as going to another planet in the same system, so he could stay relatively close to home. Also If you needed the freedom to create a system where new things could be inserted, feel free to do that.

As for the 1911, that is basically what I meant. Also since its a replica of whatever gun his Father showed him I just used that. I wanted also to convey that this was something that meant something to Rick. Also the Slugthrower pirtol I used from Saga edition was 250 and 2d6 dmg. Since i wanted some money left i decided to go with that.

The Knowledge (Life Sciences) is supposed to be archaeology and the Knowledge (Galactic Lore) is supposed to be Galactic history. Although for my character it is more specific. Mainly Myths, legends and lore of different cultures. Anything from ancient legends of werewolves to more modern legends coming from space captains and what they have reportedly seen or heard from other captains. So this would mean knowledge about wide variety of things from specific planets or systems, or just a general geography of a whole sector depending on what the legend, myth or lore was.

I hope this helps if you need something more please ask. and i will edit my character to change his grapple score.

Vice Man
    Last edited by Vice Man; 4 December 2011 at 11:29 PM.

Much Thanks, Vice Man!

Also, so, should we say that Rick's father was in the Correlian military? Did they have something equivalent to the US Marines? I'm thinking of that tanto/k-bar, there....

Also, I'm posting your character to the OOC, and I hope to have the IC up by tonight or tomorrow night.

Since Archaeology is essentially the study of history and society with an emphasis on recovering and studying artifacts to further understanding of history. I am thinking of changing his Knowledge (Galactic lore [history myths and legends]) to Knowledge (Engineering). I am thinking this becuase having what is essentially two rolls for Galactic History is a waste and I am thinking that becuase of his background of repairing things and of seeing the ancient structure still standing after all that time, it makes more sense for hi to take engineering as a minor rather than history as it is essentially a duplicate course. if you need me too I can go back and add a line or two in his background to that affect.

I would like to make this change. I will wait to make the change until I hear back from you.

Vice Man

Sure we can say that his father was the Corelian military. Also I am thinking that the knife and the slug-thrower where both Trusty back up weapons that his father used and he gave them to Rick as a Just in case. what do you think?

Vice Man

Engineering is a bit too close to Astrophysics (Ronin's character)....

Alrighty.... I just reviewed p. 68 of Saga, and well, I all the more like the idea of having a historian/arachaeologist aboard. He'd be a counterweight to the mathier, structuralist.... Plus, there are some things he'll be able to tell other people, things they would not be able to know without a lore person. Also, your computer skills -- all that research I suppose -- might also come in handy....

It's always nice to consider how party member skill sets can compliment one another . So, more to the point, I say stick to archaeology.

No problem just a thought. I guess I suffer from trying to be a jack of all trades. Looking forward to getting started.

Vice Man

Aluco, would you mind holding off for a day or two? I think I want to rewrite Cali. If Vice's PC is also going to be a closet-religious athletic type then I don't want Cali that way too. I'm thinking a Naboo-native, COMPNOR-supporting, xenophobic young scientist. Believes in the Empire and all it stands for.
    Having him shown the ills of the Empire should make for good development.

Hey Ronin if you want i will rewrite Rick without the religious part. Although He is not religious so much as a scientist looking at "evidence" of what people think. I am sorry, and really I can omit that part without affecting him that much. Think it over, I like the way you wrote Cali. lets work this out.

Vice Man

Honestly, it's no problem Vice. I'd like to rewrite Cali. I Think the new him will be more fun, if Aluco doesn't mind...

Go for it guys.... I prefer you guys like your characters, and are invested in them. I've even been playing with the idea of posting a model character. Writing the NPCs has been fun. There is actually A LOT of non-combat stuff in the system that can build a character personality-wise. Please just stick to the original ground rules, and remember, these PCs are not warriors.... At least not yet.

Default Rewritten Cali

Born in Keren city, Calisia `Cali` Aramathus was four years of age when the Trade Federation invaded his homeworld of Naboo. Keren had long been a major trade hub both on Naboo and for the Chommell Sector itself and the young boy had seen aliens coming and going, in fact he had seen more Duros than the Gungans he shared a homeworld with. He had always watched the non-humans with a sense of awe that only a shy child possesses, though this was soon replaced by terror as the Duros-like Neimoidians first blockaded then invaded his home with their skeletal battle droids. Keren was seized soon after Theed in order to prevent the Naboo from escaping off-world. Cali, his parents and his elder brother Thylas were captured as battle droids herded the Naboo into holding camps, where they spent the duration of the occupation in appalling conditions.
    This experience traumatised the young Cali and for years afterwards he had nightmares about the skeletal droids and their rarely-glimpsed, blood-eyed Neimoidian masters. Meanwhile, in Thylas it fostered a hatred for them which bloomed with the ignition of the Clone Wars a decade later. While Naboo initially did not send armed forces to aid the conflict, despite Palpatine, a Naboo himself, being the Supreme Chancellor of the Republic, Thylas asked -and received- his father's permission to enter the Academy of Carida. It was his brother's death in the war which turned the teen Calisia's childhood fear of aliens to hatred. Such feelings were stoked by the rising humanocentric feelings in the Republic and his parents gladly inducted him into proto-SAG, though insisted he focus on his studies, fearing they might lose their remaining child to the alien threat.
    Filial piety saw him respect his parents' wishes and enter the University of Byblos, graduating with a degree in Astrophysics, Calisia Aramathus is a keen swimmer (though was never good enough for the U-of-B team) who spends time in the pool to clear his mind after a hard day in the lab.

Calisia `Cali` Aramathus
    Human Nonheroic 2, age 24
    Init +2; Senses +3
    Languages Basic, High Galactic
    Defences Ref 11 (flat-footed 10), Fort 10, Will 12
    HP 8; Threshold 10
    Speed 6sq
    Melee unarmed +1 (1d4)
    Ranged per weapon +2
    Base Atk +1; Grp +2
    Atk Options none
    Special Actions Burst of Speed
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 13, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 10
    Feats Burst of Speed*, Resurgence+, Skill Focus (Knowledge [physical sciences], Use Computer), Skill Training (Endurance).
    Trained Skills Endurance +6, Gather Information +6, Knowledge (physical sciences) +13, Swim +6, Use Computer +8.
    Skills Acrobatics +2, Climb +1, Deception +1, Initiative +2, Jump +1, Knowledge (other) +3, Mechanics +3, Perception +3, Persuasion +1, Pilot +2, Ride +2, Stealth +2, Survival +3, Treat Injury +3.
    Possessions 2005 credits, commlink (short-range), datapad w/10 cards, glowrod, holorecorder.

* from Scum and Villainy page 21.
    + from Scum and Villainy page 24.
    Calisia is prejudiced toward non-humans and droids other than service models.
    He is purposefully lacking a language as he refuses to learn alien tongues.

Just a few minor changes. here it is.

Richard "Rick" Johnson
    Human Male Height:5'10'' Weight:170
    Non-heroic 2
    Init +2; Senses +3

Languages Basic, Rodian,
    Sulustese
    Speed 6sq

Melee unarmed +1 (1d4)Ranged per weapon: +2
    Base Atk +1; Grp +2
    Atk Options none
    Special Actions None
    Skills: Acrobatics +2, Climb +1, Deception +1, Initiative +2, Jump +1, Knowledge (technology) +3, Perception +3, Persuasion +1, Pilot +2, Ride +2, Stealth +2, Survival +3, Treat Injury +3
    Possessions: 850 Credits, Datapad w/10 cards, Utility belt(Comes with tool kit, food capsules, medpac, power pack, energy cell, glow rod, com-link, liquid cable dispenser with grappling hook) Chronometer, 4 ration packs, Glow rod, 2 rolls mesh tape, audio recorder(three filled memory modules with recorded notes and thoughts are stored in a small shielded storage box along with the empty data cards) Video Recorder, Energy cell, Combat Knife, slugthrower pistol +3 magazines, Space rated, corrosive resistant watertight presentation box (metal), concealed holster, satchel. (also change of clothes,regular shoes.) music player with music.
    Rick grew up helping his father in his repair shop that was located on the New Plympto edge of the Correlia System. Once when he was 10, Rick got lost in a forest on a family camping trip he stumbled upon a stone ruin with many artifacts inside. After many hours of looking around the ruin he found his way back to camp and telling his father what he had found. The finders fee from the find was enough to expand the shop and hire some more people helping the family immensely.

When Richard was 13 his Father told him he had to start getting outside more. This was after Ricks Father saw him do nothing but research on the net for a solid 24 hours. This got Rick into running and swimming for exercise. Which much to his astonishment he enjoyed it.

During Ricks teen years he got a job as a maintenance and repair tech at the star port part time. While he was there he talked to the many star ship captains that came into the port as they regaled him with tales of the places they had been and the things they had heard about weather true or not.

Just before he went off to the University of Duros which while in the same was still a long ways away, his father showed him his trusty back-up Slug thrower pistol and combat knife that had saved him many many times while he was in the Corelian Military. His father also told him of the history he had with these weapons and where he got them from. Ricks father Ben then gave him exact duplicates of these weapons and put them inside a presentation case. He then closed the presentation case and gave it to Rick. He then told Rick that he hoped that Ricks weapons would serve Rick as well as His had served Him. He also warned Rick that until he could use either effectively he was to only practice with it until such time he became proficient.

At the university with a major in archaeology and a minor in galactic history and lore he was busy. But a realization slowly seeped into his mind until his mind rubbed two neurons together and in a flash of understanding he came upon the fact that all past cultures had some sort of story about how the galaxy came to be. And while they differed in who, and how many which could be anywhere from 1 to 20 or more, there was always one that started things going. So although not religious, He often Talks to the "Almighty?" that created everything whenever he has privacy and even then its almost sub-vocal which he does becuase of what others may think of him.

Now after many years of school, which he has helped pay for by maintaining the university's computers and working at a repair shop, he is on one of the last steps he needs to do before graduation. To go out and find, explore a ruin or go help in a dig. And that is when Ricks dissertation adviser calls him into her office one day with an opportunity....

Rick likes to listen to music while doing research and often records thoughts and notes on his audio recorder when something that may be useful later comes up.

These look good! Ronin, I see a lot of growth potential in this version of Cali! Go ahead and post when you guys are ready. I'll transfer the new characters to the OOC, and review their numbers, tonight after the boy's in bed.

These look good. This is going to be fun!

EDIT:
    And.... What good for the goose.... Thoughts and feedback?

Roderiq Roco
    Medium Human nonheroic 2
    Init +2; Senses Perception +7
    Languages Basic, Duros, Binary
    Speed 6 squares
    Melee unarmed +1 (1d4)
    Ranged +3
    Base Atk +1; Grp +3
    Feats Cybernetic Surgery, Friends in Low Places, Skill Focus (Treat Injury), Skill Training (Perception), Surgical Expertise
    Trained Skills Gather Information +8, Knowledge (Life Sciences: biology) +8, Treat Injury +13, Perception +7, Use Computer +8
    Skills Acrobatics +3, Climb +0, Deception +2, Endurance +1, , Initiative +3, Jump +0, , Mechanics +3,, Persuasion +2, Pilot +3, Ride +3, Stealth +3, Survival +2, Swim +0
    Last edited by Aluco; 7 December 2011 at 07:36 PM.

Looks like A good character. Nice to have a medic along. Oh and unless you are saving a feat, this character needs one more feat. He needs 5 but you have 4 there.

Thread Information