Thread: The Future of SWRPG

Default The Future of SWRPG

I want to say I'm stomping mad, but really, that'd be short-sighted, even petty, maybe. I certainly don't have anything against FFG. No way! I'm just thinking about the money I might spend to keep up with SWRPG systems.

People, have you seen this?

http://www.examiner.com/rpg-in-natio...g-game-license

So, maybe this is old news, and it's already been hashed out here. If that's the case, I slink off quietly with a sheepish, "Never mind."

D6 Forever!

Ha ha ha ha! I think there was some very mild discussion about it, though I'm not going to go hunting for the thread at the moment.

The way I look at it, By this time, those of us that play Star Wars already have a favorite or preferred game system in order to play it. Unless you are very unhappy with all of the alternatives, it's probably best to simply save your money and keep playing the system you like. If you're lucky, there's an online fan presence that does conversions and you can game with even the new stuff if you're so inclined.

For what it's worth, I've invested in only a couple of SWRPG books after the cessation of West End Games version of Star Wars. I tested them out, but always found I didn't want to go with the "new and improved". Now that a new SWRPG will be coming out, you can decide if you want to invest money to at least see what the first book looks like, or just forget the whole thing and just use the multitude of material you probably already have in the game system you prefer.

I'm still up in the air on whether I'd invest any money at all on a new version (yet again). I'm leaning towards "no", but it could swing either way, really.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.
    facta, non verba

Whenever their new SWRPG launches, I'll skim through the Core book at the store to see if it sounds interesting, but my initial thoughts are that I probably won't buy jack.

I still prefer the old WEG D6 version, despite it's imperfections; it's the easiest to just pick up and play, imo. The first iteration of D20 was terrible and SAGA Edition, while a substantial improvement, still isn't as fun as good ol' D6.

Unfortunately, I think we're all probably at the mercy of our respective groups; if they want to switch to a new system, regardless of how much you may dislike it, you have to go with the flow or stop playing/find a new group. Such is the case for me at least, as my group seems to have fallen in love with SAGA, much to my annoyance.

If they do decide to switch to whatever system FFG gives us, they can buy all the books...I won't unless I enjoy the system.

Moderator: Roleplaying Forum coldskier0320's Avatar

I got into SWRPG between the time that WEG quit making it and WotC started. With WotC it seemed like as soon as I had a decent OCR selection they released RCR. As soon as I got a decent spread of RCR they went Saga.

At that point, I decided not to give them another red cent.

If FFG does a proper Pen & Paper RPG, and this site revives in response, I'll probably pick up the core book to evaluate it.
    W.W.G.D. - What would Grimace do?

What kind of dust?
    Dirt-laced dust. Probably originating from the ground.

experienced groundpounder

all the various fan based books I'm working on, I'm up in the air of what I want to do for stat blocks right now. Not sure if I want to do a SAGA style system and then have everyone switch to whatever FFG comes up with.

I however have been thinking of doing a D6 version for those of us that "cut our teeth" into the SWRPG with that system.

I was hoping to have one done by now, but the drawing conversions/redesigns have taken a lot longer than I anticipated.
    But I've also been tied up with college work and waiting for the news a new system will be coming out and throwing my work out the window (again).
    Through darkness we travel, searching for the vibrant silence of light ahead. Though death may take us here, we push on until the evil in this land is vanquished.

Unless the new system is particularly revolutionary, smooth and simple, I probably won't bother getting it. I have a lot of D6 books, almost all the D20/D20Revised books but only three of the Saga ones (not because there was anything wrong with it, rather it was due to a growing apathy for SW).

In the most wretched hive of scum and villany...Washington, DC.

I'm actually okay with FFG, but at this point, I just can't justify the money to buy another book.

I got into SWRPG when I first saw the d20 OCR Core Rulebook at a book store, which was actually the first RPG book I had ever picked up. (So yes, Star Wars was my introduction to roleplaying games.) Good too: my parents were at a rabbit show--yes, they do exist--and the book provided me with endless mental entertainment as they paraded their Angora rabbits around on the stage and cleaned the poodoo off their fuzzy little butts.

However, after reading the free D6 Space book...I think WEG is on to something. That's a pretty slick system right there.
    Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has at least two, and they usually stink.

Please, visit my blog. It's lonely. And while you're at it, leave a comment too.

D6 Forever!

Thumbs up

You betcha, SmugglerJedi! Star Wars roleplaying made it big with D6. Only poor business decisions resulted in West End Games losing the license. So certainly give D6 a whirl if you get the chance. You may find it quite enjoyable.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.
    facta, non verba

In the most wretched hive of scum and villany...Washington, DC.

If I had the time, I would still like to run that Infinities d6 racing campaign... [wistful look]
    Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has at least two, and they usually stink.

Please, visit my blog. It's lonely. And while you're at it, leave a comment too.

Moderator: Roleplaying Forum coldskier0320's Avatar

D6 also has the lead (by a mile) in terms of usable material...
    W.W.G.D. - What would Grimace do?

What kind of dust?
    Dirt-laced dust. Probably originating from the ground.

Munchkin

Both my wife and I agree the D6 system is the easiest and most enjoyable system we've ever used, period.

Really worth a try if you have the time.

Thread Information