Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shadow Tide [OOC]

Default Shadow Tide [OOC]

At this horror I sank nearly to the lichened earth, transfixed with a dread not of this or any world, but only of the mad spaces between the stars.
    -- H.P. Lovecraft, "The Festival"

This is the OOC thread for Shadow Tide: A Suspense Thriller Set in the Star Wars Universe. Below I've consolidated the ground rules previewed in the recruitment thread.

From the recruitment thread
    The Story

The characters begin as young researchers (graduate students, or young professor-types) commissioned to an Imperial research team. Now, because I am no big fan of metagaming, I will only go as far as to say that this shall be a suspense thriller, with horror and ghostly situations. I will try to keep things from going B-movie, or kitsch, though early on things might lean that way a tad.

The year is 12 BBY, and though set in the Star Wars universe, I intend to steer clear of Star Wars formulas. There are still clone troopers, and the ships and technology of the era will be remain consistent. Importantly, this will be a story about characters' transformations, their personal discoveries, and party choices will weigh heavily on plot trajectories. In fact, character backgrounds will even be essential to the opening situation.

Leveling

The characters will begin as level two non-heroics. These can be adapted from pp. 277-278 Saga Core, and will be limited to noncombat skills to start.

In exchange for this commoner start, I will give one level of Noble for free after the first waypoint. Players can also be expected to see their characters awarded for quality contributions.

System

Saga

The Research Team

Well, it is an Imperial project, so you might guess that, being grad student/assistant professor types, what you're told the facility is for (and the work you would be doing), may be a far less than what is actually going on there. You are told it is work "for the betterment of Imperial subjects and citizenry."

It would certainly make sense that you've been chosen because you've shown promise in the "right" field. Xenobiology/physiology, astrophysics/physics, and archaeology would each have a place in the projects. Please stick to one field per player.

The Research Facility

Your work will begin at an Imperial Research facility on Ando Prime. There shall be a light military presence at the facility, nonetheless. Your specific department will depend some on the characters' backgrounds.

The director of the operation is a human physiologist of some notoriety, Dr. Gregor Halkus. He began his academic career at the University of Corsucant in 40 BBY, where he excelled. He earned his doctorate at University of Sanbra, before serving as a surgeon in the Clone Wars. Most recently he has taught and published on surgical techniques from his offices at the Imperial University at Thené, on the planet Marngar III. For the past three years, approximately, his whereabouts have been unknown by the academic community.

Your immediate supervisor will be department specific, dependent on character background.

Transportation

A standard speeder license will be sufficient to start for the PCs.

Ability Scores

For ability scores, I'd like folks to start with 23 points on the planned generation table of p. 18 of the Saga book. I realize this is two shy what's on that page, but I'm trying to keep the whole non-heroic feel, especially at start.

These limits will be balanced as the characters grow, I promise!

Hit Points
    Max at nonheroic levels one and two, then max -2 thereafter.
    Primary Cast

Calisia `Cali` Aramathus
    Human Nonheroic 2
    Destiny 1; Init +2; Senses Languages Basic
    Speed 6 sq
    Melee unarmed +1 (1d4)Ranged per weapon +2
    Base Atk +1; Grp +2
    Atk Options none
    Special Actions Burst of Speed
    Skills Acrobatics +2, Climb +1, Deception +1, Initiative +2, Jump +1, Knowledge (other) +3, Mechanics +3, Perception +3, Persuasion +1, Pilot +2, Ride +2, Stealth +2, Survival +3, Treat Injury +3
    Possessions 2005 credits, commlink (short-range), datapad w/10 cards, glowrod, holorecorder

* from Scum and Villainy page 21.
    + from Scum and Villainy page 24.

Born in Keren city, Calisia `Cali` Aramathus was four years of age when the Trade Federation invaded his homeworld of Naboo. Keren had long been a major trade hub both on Naboo and for the Chommell Sector itself and the young boy had seen aliens coming and going, in fact he had seen more Duros than the Gungans he shared a homeworld with. He had always watched the non-humans with a sense of awe that only a shy child possesses, though this was soon replaced by terror as the Duros-like Neimoidians first blockaded then invaded his home with their skeletal battle droids. Keren was seized soon after Theed in order to prevent the Naboo from escaping off-world. Cali, his parents and his elder brother Thylas were captured as battle droids herded the Naboo into holding camps, where they spent the duration of the occupation in appalling conditions.
    This experience traumatised the young Cali and for years afterwards he had nightmares about the skeletal droids and their rarely-glimpsed, blood-eyed Neimoidian masters. Meanwhile, in Thylas it fostered a hatred for them which bloomed with the ignition of the Clone Wars a decade later. While Naboo initially did not send armed forces to aid the conflict, despite Palpatine, a Naboo himself, being the Supreme Chancellor of the Republic, Thylas asked -and received- his father's permission to enter the Academy of Carida. It was his brother's death in the war which turned the teen Calisia's childhood fear of aliens to hatred. Such feelings were stoked by the rising humanocentric feelings in the Republic and his parents gladly inducted him into proto-SAG, though insisted he focus on his studies, fearing they might lose their remaining child to the alien threat.
    Filial piety saw him respect his parents' wishes and enter the University of Byblos, graduating with a degree in Astrophysics, Calisia Aramathus is a keen swimmer (though was never good enough for the U-of-B team) who spends time in the pool to clear his mind after a hard day in the lab.
    Originally posted by Vice Man
    Just a few minor changes. here it is.

Richard "Rick" Johnson
    Human Male Height:5'10'' Weight:170
    Non-heroic 2
    Destiny 1; Init +2; Senses +3

Languages Basic, Rodian,
    Sulustese
    Speed 6sq

Melee unarmed +1 (1d4)Ranged per weapon: +2
    Base Atk +1; Grp +2
    Atk Options none
    Special Actions None
    Skills: Acrobatics +2, Climb +1, Deception +1, Initiative +2, Jump +1, Knowledge (technology) +3, Perception +3, Persuasion +1, Pilot +2, Ride +2, Stealth +2, Survival +3, Treat Injury +3
    Possessions: 850 Credits, Datapad w/10 cards, Utility belt(Comes with tool kit, food capsules, medpac, power pack, energy cell, glow rod, com-link, liquid cable dispenser with grappling hook) Chronometer, 4 ration packs, Glow rod, 2 rolls mesh tape, audio recorder(three filled memory modules with recorded notes and thoughts are stored in a small shielded storage box along with the empty data cards) Video Recorder, Energy cell, Combat Knife, slugthrower pistol +3 magazines, Space rated, corrosive resistant watertight presentation box (metal), concealed holster, satchel. (also change of clothes,regular shoes.) music player with music.
    Rick grew up helping his father in his repair shop that was located on the New Plympto edge of the Correlia System. Once when he was 10, Rick got lost in a forest on a family camping trip he stumbled upon a stone ruin with many artifacts inside. After many hours of looking around the ruin he found his way back to camp and telling his father what he had found. The finders fee from the find was enough to expand the shop and hire some more people helping the family immensely.

When Richard was 13 his Father told him he had to start getting outside more. This was after Ricks Father saw him do nothing but research on the net for a solid 24 hours. This got Rick into running and swimming for exercise. Which much to his astonishment he enjoyed it.

During Ricks teen years he got a job as a maintenance and repair tech at the star port part time. While he was there he talked to the many star ship captains that came into the port as they regaled him with tales of the places they had been and the things they had heard about weather true or not.

Just before he went off to the University of Duros which while in the same was still a long ways away, his father showed him his trusty back-up Slug thrower pistol and combat knife that had saved him many many times while he was in the Corelian Military. His father also told him of the history he had with these weapons and where he got them from. Ricks father Ben then gave him exact duplicates of these weapons and put them inside a presentation case. He then closed the presentation case and gave it to Rick. He then told Rick that he hoped that Ricks weapons would serve Rick as well as His had served Him. He also warned Rick that until he could use either effectively he was to only practice with it until such time he became proficient.

At the university with a major in archaeology and a minor in galactic history and lore he was busy. But a realization slowly seeped into his mind until his mind rubbed two neurons together and in a flash of understanding he came upon the fact that all past cultures had some sort of story about how the galaxy came to be. And while they differed in who, and how many which could be anywhere from 1 to 20 or more, there was always one that started things going. So although not religious, He often Talks to the "Almighty?" that created everything whenever he has privacy and even then its almost sub-vocal which he does becuase of what others may think of him.

Now after many years of school, which he has helped pay for by maintaining the university's computers and working at a repair shop, he is on one of the last steps he needs to do before graduation. To go out and find, explore a ruin or go help in a dig. And that is when Ricks dissertation adviser calls him into her office one day with an opportunity....

Rick likes to listen to music while doing research and often records thoughts and notes on his audio recorder when something that may be useful later comes up.
    Tayla Tagge CL 0

Medium Human nonheroic 2
    Destiny 1; Init +2; Senses Perception +8
    Languages Basic, Bothese, Durese, Huttese, Mon Calamarian, Sith
    Speed 6 squares
    Melee by weapon +1
    Ranged by weapon +2
    Base Atk +1; Grp +2
    Skills Deception +8, Gather Information +8, Knowledge (social sciences) +8, Perception +8, Persuasion +13, Stealth +7

Talya was born to the sister of Baroness Sanya Tagge on Tepasi, where she was raised in the lap of luxury and the peak of prestigious life. Early in her childhood she learned to use her power and station to her advantage, and she became used to getting her way from the people around her. Quickly, though, she also was introduced to the fierce competition for favor from the family elders among her peers, her five cousins, children of Baroness Sanya. In her early years, she had hopes of becoming Baroness herself one day, but it wasn't long before her aunt put those aspirations to rest by declaring that all five of her children would come before Anneka in the succession, and after them, their children, leaving no chance that Anneka would ever be Baroness. Thus, she devoted her attention to sharpening her own skills, and while she enjoyed life in the lap of luxury, when it came to infighting among the nobility, she made sure to keep her head down and eyes wide open. She has done well for herself in recent years, and has actually become a leading student in the archaeology program at the University of Byblos. This came as a surprise to many, believing that, with her near-celebrity status, strings had been pulled just to get her admitted. That she was being successful suggested that perhaps she'd deserved the position.

Appearance: Tall and thin, with high cheek bones and smooth skin, Talya is a picture of human beauty (at least by typical galactic standards). Copper hair hangs to her upper back, and while naturally poker-straight, is usually in one of the latest styles. Bright green eyes complete the package.

Personality: Talya is calm, composed, poised, and above all, keeps her cool in most situations. Raised in the lap of luxury, she is totally out of touch with many of the challenges 'common folk' face every day. She's used to encountering situations of two extremes: people bending over backward to make her happy, and people using everything at their disposal to oppose her, and she's learned to handle both quite well. Random challenges, however, often flummox her, especially the common trials of day-to-day galactic life. For example, while she has no problem discussing terms at a business meeting or talking her way out of a citation, she's quite out of her element making friends at a local watering hole or even making a normal bank transaction or paying bills. Friendly enough, Talya is focused on amassing influence, above all.
    Last edited by Aluco; 28 April 2012 at 11:59 AM.

I'll let you guys fill in what you want about your trip to Falleen from your own worlds/schools. I will say this about that, though. You traveled separately, or if you were on the same public transport, you did not encounter one another until arriving at the Imperial Depot at Falleen.

Of course you could fill in anything you might like up to the point of your arrival on Ando Prime.

Renna has been courteous, but has kept to herself along the way. Reviewing notes on her datapad more than anything else. She will have offered refreshments, and she introduced herself as one of two of Halkus' students. She is studying to be a surgeon.

I'm happy to answer any questions to help with posts, of course.

OH! I almost forgot, the Empire has paid for all of your travel expenses.

What do you mean by all? does that mean we can get a few things we want and label them "travel expenses"?

They paid for your ticket on the public transport barge.... Maybe for one night's stay in a mid-rate room, and, well, the shuttle from Falleen is theirs, so, the trip costs you nothing. Otherwise, the starting funds already given are plenty.

What an on the ball gm? who would have thought. lol. seriously though if questions aren't asked then such things could be taken advantage of. sorry if I made you angry.

Someone's an O-Game player...and has been playing for a while as they have a nanite factory...if that intro pic is any guide. _

Will get an IC post up later today.

Originally posted by Ronin
    Someone's an O-Game player...and has been playing for a while as they have a nanite factory...if that intro pic is any guide. _
    Nah.... I really had no idea what O-Game was until your post, Ronin. I went and checked Wiki to see what this was. I'd rather write something than do that stuff, I guess.

Can I assume you guys stepped off of the shuttle? Come on, guys, don't be afraid yet!

sure I don't see why not. we can get to know each other as we walk.

I wouldn't go as far as to say, "colossi." The creatures on the platform are probably Wookiees, or Whiphids. When I said, "Exceptionally large in contrast to the other humanoids..." I probably should have written "at least a head taller than the other humanoids."

Sorry if I'm falling short on making the picture with words for you guys. I can throw together a map if it helps. This is good for me.... I'm always open to knowing when my words aren't working. I hope my update helps.

Also, on some of this stuff, I defer to the amazing possibilities of Sci Fi.... I mean, a planetoid-sized space station! Come on! BUt seriously, if I break the suspension of disbelief, just kick me, and I'll try to new angles

No problem at all Aluco. To Calisia anything over 6ft is alien and wrong.

Originally posted by Ronin
    No problem at all Aluco. To Calisia anything over 6ft is alien and wrong.

I will go ahead with an update creating the setting of the inside of the dome and your entrance this evening (in about 12 hrs) unless there's something else you guys wan to do out on the docking platform.

I've been considering the idea of one long post that takes you two to your personal quarters. In this, Renna would give information about all you pass along the way. Of course you'd be encouraged to insert any comments, or incorporate what your shown or what is said into your follow-up posts.

Right now, this is a lot of establishing the setting, and your characters' place in it. I also really want to move things along to more interactive, and hopefully interesting, stuff if that's okay. My next post would essentially be a tour of places along the way to your digs. THEN, if you guys wanted to do a few posts getting to know one another, or the like I could get out of the way as you move through the environment for a bit.

After that, when you're ready, I'd blink you guys to the point where you'd be assigned to a team and enter the temple space.

Any thoughts, or preferences?

BTW: I see some fun roleplay already from you guys, and I'm excited about how the events around the corner will play out with your characters!
    Last edited by Aluco; 13 December 2011 at 02:41 PM.

Sounds like a good idea, Go ahead let us see where this goes.

Vice Man

You will find Blue-ringed sea crab in the conservator.... Cooked, just needs heating. And Daro-root beer. And mineral water.

Thread Information