Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost interest in Star Wars? Why? Rant on!

D6 Forever!

Default Lost interest in Star Wars? Why? Rant on!

More and more I'm finding people who are admitting that they're losing interst in Star Wars. Some simply "grow out of it". Others drift away for other reasons. What are your reasons for a waning interst in Star Wars?

Or is your interest in Star Wars as strong as it's always been? If so, why is that? What have you been able to do or what has kept your interest so great?
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.
    facta, non verba

Irish fanatic

For me, I find every time something with potential comes up in Star Wars--something interesting or intriguing--canon kills it. Take, for example, the Clone Wars--which the Original Trilogy and especially Zahn's works led us to believe was massive decade spanning conflict that devastated the Galaxy. What do we get in the Prequels? A barely two year conflict in which no one who mattered died except a few Jedi and an insignificant number of civilians compared with the Galactic population. Or the insinuations of the True Sith in KotOR2. From that comes Revan and Exile getting aced (rendering their entire stories irrelevant) and the "True Sith" is just another boring "Sith-of-the-week." I still love the OT and the KotOR games, and I love the Star Wars setting--but I'm just getting so sick of seeing the franchise increasingly mismanaged by Lucas and Lucas Licensing. And I once considered the EU to be the redeeming aspect of Star Wars, but much of the EU these days is as bad as the Prequels--or worse, as is the case with LotF and FotJ. I'm still a Star Wars fan, but I'm very selective of what I'm a fan of and I'm becoming increasingly a casual fan at best. I find my interesting shifting increasingly to weightier things like Tolkien's legendarium (which I've always adored but I do so increasingly as time passes, as opposed to Star Wars) and my own fictional settings.
    "Don't be shocked that people die; be surprised you're still alive."
    --Flyleaf, "Cassie (acoustic)"
    Djesersekhmet in Lucas Carr's Dawn of Defiance.
    Visit DAZ3D for all your digital art needs!

In the most wretched hive of scum and villany...Washington, DC.

My hatred of recent continuity decisions by LFL is legendary. And that pretty much is behind why I have, not necessarily "lost" interest in SW, but am clearly not as passionate about it.

Also, it's old, like, 30 years old. It's in that dark period when it's too old to be truly cool and is just being squeezed for too much...but not old enough to be like, "Dude. It's a Legend." Like King Arthur.
    Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has at least two, and they usually stink.

Please, visit my blog. It's lonely. And while you're at it, leave a comment too.

Munchkin

Originally posted by SmugglerJedi

Also, it's old, like, 30 years old. It's in that dark period when it's too old to be truly cool...but not old enough to be like, "Dude. It's a Legend." Like King Arthur.
    Star Wars (The Original Trilogy, not everything else that came after) will Always be cool....a "legend"? No, not yet, but a Classic ?

Definitely.

I wouldn't say that I've lost interest in Star Wars...it might be better to say that I'm jaded or cynical.

I love the original Trilogy as much as ever. I love the Heir to the Empire trilogy and the X-Wing series as much as ever. I still love Shadows of the Empire.

But the more recent decisions from Lucas have left me with a bad taste in my mouth and make me cynical about any new projects/concepts that might be announced.

The prequels were a massive letdown. The NJO series sucked and all the books that take place following it have been equally disappointing. Force Unleashed is a Mary Sue's wet dream come true. Lucas' continual disdain for the EU when it was the EU that's largely responsible for the resurgence of the franchise post-RotJ. The new edits of the movies that come out like clockwork every few years now with something new, pointless, and almost universally-hated by the fans because it was "always a part of the original vision."

I've said it before and I'll say it again; somehow, someway, the rights to Star Wars needs to be stripped away from Lucas and given to someone more competent, someone who can respect the original films, the fans, and the authors who have kept the franchise alive through the years.

I understand that Lucas created it and as such it's his baby, but he's killing it, and apologies if I offend anyone with this, but only the most insane and diehard fanboys would disagree with that statement. Sure, the merchandising has never been bigger and in that regard it's a success, but the universe as a whole keeps losing the grandeur that made it so appealing in the first place. Like Admiral Zaarin pointed out, look at the Clone Wars as it was originally described in the EU versus what we actually got in the prequels and the Clone Wars animated series; to me, the "Lucas version" of the Clone Wars is far, far less epic.

Heroes and villains have become stagnant as it feels like they keep using the same templates over and over and/or making them a relative of an existing character so they have a legacy to live up to. Give me a break and give me something new and exciting, something original that isn't an overpowered Jedi/Sith superfreak or a character designed solely to appeal to young kids. There's nothing wrong with making Star Wars accessible to kids of course, but it feels like the older fans like us are more of an afterthought anymore, if even that, and we're the ones who built Lucas' empire! We're the ones who saw the original, unedited movies, the ones who stood in line at the theater for hours, the ones who gobbled up the collectibles like there was no tomorrow!

My love for the original Star Wars will never wane, that much I can say with certainty. I will always love the good and classic EU additions like Heir to the Empire and Knights of the Old Republic.

But the new stuff that Lucas keeps pumping out? Couldn't care less for the vast majority of it. I will not be going to the theater to see the new 3D versions of the prequels, rarely can I stomach the Clone Wars cartoon, the books are increasingly dismal (don't even get me started on the atrocity that is "Revan"), and the newer video games are utter trash.
    Last edited by Seghast; 16 December 2011 at 12:13 PM.

Irish fanatic

I agree with pretty much everything Seghast just said.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; somehow, someway, the rights to Star Wars needs to be stripped away from Lucas and given to someone more competent, someone who can respect the original films, the fans, and the authors who have kept the franchise alive through the years.
    QFT

rarely can I stomach the Clone Wars cartoon
    I will say that Dave Filoni, the guy in charge of Clone Wars, really loves Star Wars, and if the cartoon were completely up to him instead of having Lucas get his grubby little fingers involved, the show would be fantastic. As it is, I find there are enough decent episodes to be worth sloshing through the bad ones--through Netflix. It's still not the vision of the Clone Wars that was given prior to the Prequels though, since Lucas still only gives them two years to work with.

Originally posted by Admiral Zaarin
    I will say that Dave Filoni, the guy in charge of Clone Wars, really loves Star Wars, and if the cartoon were completely up to him instead of having Lucas get his grubby little fingers involved, the show would be fantastic. As it is, I find there are enough decent episodes to be worth sloshing through the bad ones--through Netflix. It's still not the vision of the Clone Wars that was given prior to the Prequels though, since Lucas still only gives them two years to work with. [/B]
    I did see the recent arc with General Krell and the Clones and I thought that was pretty well done, better than the other episodes I've seen. I think my biggest problem with the show (aside from some of the character designs) are Ahsoka and the R2/C3P0-centric stuff; when I think about Clone Wars, I want some gritty war action, not a prodigal child Jedi running around or the comedic droids (much love for R2 and C3, though; I just didn't like the episodes I saw where they starred).

Irish fanatic

I agree mostly, though I find that Ahsoka, who I originally hated, grows on you slowly. Also I tend to forgive the patheticness of the droid episodes simply because I adore Anthony Daniels.

Moderator: Roleplaying Forum coldskier0320's Avatar

I agree with pretty much everything Seghast just said.

QFT
    You guys gotta be kidding me.

Love him or (mostly) hate him, Lucas *is* Star Wars. Lucas is to Star Wars what Steve Jobs was to Apple and what Jerry Jones is to the Dallas Cowboys. Could you have one without the other? I suppose theoretically yes, but if you're going to separate Star Wars from Lucas, I suspect the resulting Star Wars will be even less captivating (and more 'forced') than it already is.

In short, while I wish he'd stop fussing with the OT, I'd never wish him out of the entire operation. Not only does it rely upon his original story, but I think it'd make SW as a whole lose much of its appeal if he were ousted.

As far as the novels being the same stuff over and over, there's only so much you can do within a given setting and still maintain canon. Personally, I'd rather have a canon timeline than a bunch of interesting, but contradictory stories. If you disagree, that's fine, but it's apparent that this is the route Lucasfilm has decided upon.
    W.W.G.D. - What would Grimace do?

What kind of dust?
    Dirt-laced dust. Probably originating from the ground.

Munchkin

I can see where Coldskier is coming from.

Yes, initially it might seem like a good idea to put fans in charge of where Star Wars is headed, but, as the original post that spawned this post shows, not everyone has the same taste.

This is the same reason why some people love the new films and books and some people can't stand them. It doesn't matter who you put in charge, you are NEVER going to make everyone happy. It's true in the handling of an IP just as it is in politics, religion and life.

There are always going to be detractors, always going to be fanboys, it's just how it is when you have such a huge property like Star Wars.

And it's not like you can put every storyline and major decision to a vote-because what would be the point in that? Who is going to read a book when they know exactly what is going to happen? Exactly.

At the risk of sounding like one of those old guys, some of you may not remember the time after Return of The Jedi but I do...there was VERY little Star Wars stuff out there. Times were different, and while it may sound insane, given all of the toys and such that always seem to have been around, the truth of the matter is, that until the Zahn novels came out, there was a span of several years when, if you were a teenager or older and wanted to talk about the "newest" Star Wars stuff, you usually were talking about the original trilogy (or a comic book that might come out that you may or may not have been lucky to get your hands on depending on the comic store in your area-no Amazon here kids! There used to be a day when it was hard as heck to get your hands on stuff).

Of course these days there seems to be a new novel every week, tv shows out the whazoo and comic books, fans films etc...

But back in the day, for a period of almost a decade, there was next to nothing to satisfy a fan's appetite.

I guess what I'm saying is, that love or hate what is coming out now, at least you have OPTIONS.

Be happy you have that, coming from a fanboy who remembers the original trilogy and also the time following when there was very little to be excited about.

Drunken Spacer

I have to agree without Lucas we end up with very horrible terrible stuff (remember the '78 holiday special) and incredibly brilliant things. While I do agree that the idea of a decade long galactic battle is nicer than a couple of years but lets look at the logistics. The combatants were clones and droids, both with only a handful of production points and both susceptible to infiltration and sabotage decades of war is unlikely. It is more likely that we would receive what we see on TV a fast intense war with two massive pre-assembled armies seeing who has the better troops.

As for me I am as much a dedicated fan as the first time I saw the movies. I can't seem to ever pass by star wars toys or books in a store without having to stop and argue with myself as to whether I should bring some of it home with me.
    Strong Men Die While Wise Men Ponder

If I don't return from this life of a soldier don't you be crying for me

"I know" -the greatest line Han Solo has
    PS: Han shot first.

Originally posted by coldskier0320
    As far as the novels being the same stuff over and over, there's only so much you can do within a given setting and still maintain canon. Personally, I'd rather have a canon timeline than a bunch of interesting, but contradictory stories. If you disagree, that's fine, but it's apparent that this is the route Lucasfilm has decided upon. [/B]
    I'd prefer Lucas and Lucasfilm stop allowing authors to publish their Star Wars stories if they're not acceptable into canon since that's where most, if not all of, the contradictions stem from. If something in a book doesn't fit in with his vision, then he should either require the book to be changed before being published or not publish it period.

If nothing else, I'd be content if Lucas would take the time to acknowledge the contributions of others and maybe select a few good EU items to say "okay, I'm fine with this being canon." As it is, it feels like he spits on the fans and the EU authors in favor of making increasingly-poor decisions himself.

He gave us a wonderful gift with Star Wars, that cannot be denied. I just don't think he's managing it as well as he could and has lost sight of telling good, worthwhile stories in favor of maximizing profit. What I don't think he realizes is that he would probably see more profit if he'd at least be more cooperative with the fans and stop churning out crap.

Moderator: Roleplaying Forum coldskier0320's Avatar

He gave us a wonderful gift with Star Wars, that cannot be denied. I just don't think he's managing it as well as he could and has lost sight of telling good, worthwhile stories in favor of maximizing profit. What I don't think he realizes is that he would probably see more profit if he'd at least be more cooperative with the fans and stop churning out crap.
    I can sympathize with this, but only because I'm also a die-hard fan. I think in terms of dollars, he's probably making a lot of good decisions, as he's pleasing the masses rather than the dedicated few.

Really, we're not the ones he's worried about. We're still keeping tabs on Star Wars, keeping up our interest, and occasionally buying products, regardless of the decisions he makes. He's far more concerned about drawing the interest of the kids, who by extension, make up the largest marketing (and money making) opportunity, through their parents.

Simply put, why waste any time and effort pleasing the 5% of the market that will still be yours no matter what, when you can put those same resources into wooing the 95% of the market that is up for grabs?

While I'd love to see a lot of things, I don't fault him for doing what's right for him.

I'd prefer Lucas and Lucasfilm stop allowing authors to publish their Star Wars stories if they're not acceptable into canon since that's where most, if not all of, the contradictions stem from. If something in a book doesn't fit in with his vision, then he should either require the book to be changed before being published or not publish it period.
    While I agree it's frustrating, it's really one of the few workable ways of doing things in a way to allow for others to contribute content while still allowing himself freedom to create stories as he sees fit. Is it ideal? No. Do bad things happen to good ideas? Sure. Is it ruining Star Wars? Not hardly.
    W.W.G.D. - What would Grimace do?

What kind of dust?
    Dirt-laced dust. Probably originating from the ground.

Immoderator

It's mostly the arguments like these and the fanbase that turn me off to Star Wars these days.
    I awoke
    Only to find my lungs empty
    And through the night
    So it seems I'm not breathing
    And now my dreams are nothing like they were meant to be - Dallas Green (City and Colour), Sleeping Sickness

Irish fanatic

Originally posted by coldskier0320
    You guys gotta be kidding me.

Love him or (mostly) hate him, Lucas *is* Star Wars. Lucas is to Star Wars what Steve Jobs was to Apple and what Jerry Jones is to the Dallas Cowboys. Could you have one without the other? I suppose theoretically yes, but if you're going to separate Star Wars from Lucas, I suspect the resulting Star Wars will be even less captivating (and more 'forced') than it already is.

In short, while I wish he'd stop fussing with the OT, I'd never wish him out of the entire operation. Not only does it rely upon his original story, but I think it'd make SW as a whole lose much of its appeal if he were ousted.

As far as the novels being the same stuff over and over, there's only so much you can do within a given setting and still maintain canon. Personally, I'd rather have a canon timeline than a bunch of interesting, but contradictory stories. If you disagree, that's fine, but it's apparent that this is the route Lucasfilm has decided upon.
    Wait, Lucas's vision has any kind of appeal? I'm sorry, but Lucas lacks anything like creativity or talent; there are numerous people with the talent and vision to breath new life into the franchise but it won't happen so long as Lucas has anything to do with it.

Thread Information