Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Star Wars RPG in playtest

All knowing, all seeing eye of Star Wars
    Out in the Unknown Regions of my mind....

For me, SW is all about Force Users. Since this first incarnation doesn't include them, I think I'll wait to get the second one.
    "You don't know the Power of a Darkside!" - Darth Vader to Luke (Episode V)

Co-author of the Rise of the Empire Infinities Sourcebook: http://submissions.swrpgnetwork.com/entry.php?id=1865
    Co-Author of the Rebellion Era Infinities Sourcebook: http://www.swrpgnetwork.com/entry.php?id=1867
    Co-Author of The Legacy of the Force Sourcebook: http://www.mediafire.com/file/e515z0...Version%5D.pdf

Moderator: Roleplaying Forum coldskier0320's Avatar

Haven't gotten a chance to actually play this yet, but it does seem interesting, mainly as the book's primary focus is Firefly-style groups of "independent operators" during the Rebellion Era (no prequels, NJO, or KOTOR material), and the starting "classes" (for lack of a better term) really reflect that. Character building isn't quite as free-form as WEG, but it's not quite as rigid as d20 was;
    Although Dono and I tend to look for very different things in our SWRPG, this is probably the most encouraging thing I've heard since the confirmation that somebody had picked up the ball and ran with it.
    W.W.G.D. - What would Grimace do?

What kind of dust?
    Dirt-laced dust. Probably originating from the ground.

Jedi Master, Scholar, and Keeper of the True Light

Quote Originally Posted by Treefrog View Post
    For me, SW is all about Force Users. Since this first incarnation doesn't include them, I think I'll wait to get the second one.
    The second won't have them either. They are the focus of the third installment.
    "Faith Manages." - Ambassador Delenn
    Potentate of the Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Carr View Post
    The second won't have them either. They are the focus of the third installment.
    I guess I'll be waiting till 2014 then... (Just a guess).

Co-author of the Rise of the Empire Infinities Sourcebook: http://submissions.swrpgnetwork.com/entry.php?id=1865
    Co-Author of the Rebellion Era Infinities Sourcebook: http://www.swrpgnetwork.com/entry.php?id=1867
    Co-Author of The Legacy of the Force Sourcebook: http://www.mediafire.com/file/e515z0...Version%5D.pdf

There are still rules for force users and the like in EotE. Although you cannot play big badass Jedi type Kotor or Swtor or prequel era in it... There are talents and powers, and its pretty beardy from what I have come to understand, but there are no Jedi "classes" as such.
    "What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Jegergryte's Cubicle

My home made supplements.

Very interesting. I didn't even notice that the license was sold again, though I was wondering for quite some time what had happened with it. I'll probably end up buying at least the first book to check it out (and continue my collection of "core rule books").
    Uron's game Archive
    ├ L'homme est nÚ libre, et partout il est dans les fers. - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    Potentate of the Rose

I don't know if it still will be worth getting if you can't start off playing one of the most recognizable facets of SW.

Immoderator

Personal preference, I suppose.

Past experience with FFG leads me to believe that they'll get the relative power levels close enough to satisfy some people, but too close to satisfy others, and basically everyone will wonder what the point of playing anything but a Jedi is.

I'd prefer they flat out don't make (separate) rules for Jedi and just leave it as a Force-user progression path, but there's always a demand for ridiculously broken Jedi-related mechanics.
    I awoke
    Only to find my lungs empty
    And through the night
    So it seems I'm not breathing
    And now my dreams are nothing like they were meant to be - Dallas Green (City and Colour), Sleeping Sickness

Quote Originally Posted by Ardent View Post
    I'd prefer they flat out don't make (separate) rules for Jedi and just leave it as a Force-user progression path, but there's always a demand for ridiculously broken Jedi-related mechanics.
    Yeah, but let's face it, Jedi are ridiculously broken in terms of what they can do, apart of being fugitives (in the Empire era) or awkwardly social inept (in all other eras).
    Uron's game Archive
    ├ L'homme est nÚ libre, et partout il est dans les fers. - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    Potentate of the Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Uron Teff View Post
    Yeah, but let's face it, Jedi are ridiculously broken in terms of what they can do
    Amen. Even if you take away all of their powers besides levitation, a creative player can still be far more powerful than a non-force user of the same level. IMO, there has to be something (the fugitive element, for example) to balance out game play. Often, I'd just have jedi a level or two lower than the other players, and they usually held up fine.
    Utulie'n aure! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatari, utulie'n aure!

First off, from my reading, playing a Jedi in EotE or a force user at least, involve using a lot more xp on the force stuff. If you in addition want to be able to do other stuff - I mean one talent tree doesn't give you all the beard you want now does it? - and use force powers, you have a lot of xp to spend, whereas non-force users have "less" to spend xp on. This might at least even the odds on low-powered play, I have no idea how it plays once you cross the 300 or 400xp mark, at which point most will have at least one talent tree maxed out and a few skills really high.

The force die also evens the odds slightly, since you have to roll for force points to spend on force powers, in EotE the max number of force dice a character can roll is two, which means at best you can generate 4 light side force points, dark side force points can't be used unless taking strain damage, or if the GM agrees and there is destiny points in the pool, he can use one of them.

There are lots of discussions over on the FFG boards, some quite good and productive. The only issue is that the devs are shining in the absence, and if they pop by the usually only answer one question in a thread, usually not related to the discussion as a whole. Other than that its good.
    "What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Jegergryte's Cubicle

Drunken Spacer

I think overall it should play out pretty nice. I am a little upset at having to get new dice but i think that with the very simple match the pictured idea behind it it will speed up and simplify a lot of tasks. I think that the force point system and added expense of skill points does a fairly decent job of keeping your force users inline. If there is one thing I am really worried about it is game longevity as Jeger mentioned what happens when you hit that skill point wall. I understand that the reward base in this game is smaller than in other incarnations but it could still occur quickly especially in a very militaristic game where you go from major battle to major battle in a couple of weeks like in Lucas's version of the Clone Wars. within a few years major battles occur over and over enough to make a cartoon series about it.
    Strong Men Die While Wise Men Ponder

If I don't return from this life of a soldier don't you be crying for me

"I know" -the greatest line Han Solo has
    PS: Han shot first.

Right, its less than a month till the public beta-test is over, and I got the impression that they will shut down the beta-forums some time after that. I'm sure they have their reasons, but it annoys me.

Anyways, after 9 updates over the ten last weeks I think they've been doing a good job - although there are still things to be done. Hopefully some people will migrate over here as a forum is def needed for continued discussion and improvement until the finished game comes some times next year GenCon or SW Celebration Europe II time. Who knows. Hopefully before.

Anyone else than DM and me that have the beta here?

Jegergryte's Cubicle

Thread Information