Thread: Executing disruptive characters?

Default Executing disruptive characters?

My group's D6 campaign has stalled, leaving us with our D20 Saga campaign and while the first campaign was flowing pretty smoothly, the second isn't going so well thanks largely to a couple of very disruptive players who seem to be going out of their way to screw with the progress of the story. The hitch here is that my character has recently found himself in command of a pirate vessel and crew and as captain, I have the authority to execute the characters if necessary (the GM and I have already spoken about this). It's not something I want to do, but as a player and a character, I'm starting to feel like there's not much else I can do to get them to behave.

Two incidents stand out above all others...

1) A few weeks ago we had a situation where my first mate came into contact with a Sith artifact and became possessed by the spirit of a Sith Lord, leading to a heated battle between him, my pirate crew, and the three Jedi who had booked passage on the ship. We got the artifact away from him and locked it away for safekeeping while we put the character into the medbay for recovery and observation. As a precaution, I had several guards stationed in the medbay in case he woke up and was still possessed. During this time, someone breaks into the vault where we locked the artifact and steals it; as the red alert begins to sound, the Jedi (sans the apprentice) rush to the hanger to intercept and stop the thieves while the rest of us stay in the medbay to keep an eye on out wounded first mate.

"Pinkie," my insectoid captain of the guard crew, then tells the GM "I'm hungry; I'm going to eat a guard."

Out of character we cannot persuade him to not do this or to simply order a subordinate to go fetch him a sandwich. He randomly flips out, jumps on one of my guards, murders him, and starts eating. Alarmed at the behavior, I hop on the comlink to alert the Jedi that the Sith Spirit has found a new host as he continues to rampage around the medbay killing and eating my guards. OOC, we know it's not the spirit and the player is just being obnoxious, but we try and roll with it as best we can. The Jedi keep rushing for the hanger until Pinkie nearly kills the Padawan, at which point they finally come back to help. By the time they arrive, Pinkie has taken his meal and the nearly-dead padawan to the armory and locked himself inside to eat and arm himself. It's another fight to subdue him and save the padawan, during which time our thieves escape the ship on a stolen shuttle. The group, GM included, is frustrated by how this played out, but the player thinks it's hilarious.

2) Last night we was the follow-up adventure and I thought we might get some progress done since the disruptive player was at work. Yeah, I should have known better. On our way to track down the thieves, our ship drops out of hyperspace. We return to the bridge to see what the problem is, only to find a mutiny in progress; it seems the crew isn't happy with our decidedly-nonpirate behavior lately and want to get back to looting and pillaging the hyperspace lanes. Addressing the lead mutineer, I say "You want more pirate-like behaviour from me? Kill the mutineers!"

With the Jedi on our side, the mutineers don't stand a chance. After they take a couple of losses and I wound their leader, I demand their surrender and they oblige; everyone throws down their weapons and puts their hands in the air. I give the order to take them into custody and lock them in the brig to be dealt with later, but one of our Jedi (a sentinel, no less), decides he likes the original order of "kill the mutineers" better and proceeds to execute all five of the captives just for fun. Again, we can't talk him out of it and he happily accepts the five darkside points, laughing the entire time about how hilarious it is. I give the order for my loyal crew to take him into custody for his actions and he refuses to go, saying we can't make him because he's a Jedi and not a real member of the crew. As the GM reminds him of the odds, the other Jedi steps in and says that he's with us on this; stand down peacefully and don't make us use force. While he finally did give in, he still thinks his actions were funny.

With this character and Pinkie both in the brig for their behavior, and neither player showing any sign of remorse or a desire to take the game seriously, I'm seriously wondering if I should exercise my right as captain to have their players executed; at this point, it seems like that might be the only way to get through to them and get them to behave. The GM is frustrated as well and has told me it's my decision...but I really don't want to have to take that step. What should I do? How many chances should I give them before "off with their heads," or should we all just continue to try and roll with their crap?

Veteran Player

Are these separate pc's same player, or separate pcs different players for each? If you DO exercise your right as pirate captain to execute them, do you think they (the player(s)) will change their stance..?
    You cannot dodge it if you don't know it is coming, and you cannot shoot at what you don't know is there!

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Are these separate pc's same player, or separate pcs different players for each? If you DO exercise your right as pirate captain to execute them, do you think they (the player(s)) will change their stance..?
    Different players. I don't know if it'll make them change their ways, but so far trying to reason with them (in-character and out of character) has failed; they're having too much fun disrupting the mission and acting psychotic. I'm not against them having fun by any means, but I take issue when it's disrupting the flow of the story excessively and bogging the rest of us down.

In all honesty, I know it's more the GM's responsibility to step up and try to get them under control, but he seems a bit skittish of doing so, like maybe he's afraid he would be overstepping his bounds or that it might drive them to quit the group but for myself, I wouldn't care if they did since we got along relatively fine as just a four-player group before they joined.

And it's not just Star Wars where they do this; we also play the DC Superheroes RPG and they behave the same way there.

Player A, whose day job was being a detective for the local police department, was called in for questioning by the Chief of Police and someone from IA because of some discrepancies in his latest report. Of all the ways this player could have handled the situation (given that he's a cop by day and a "superhero" by night), was to pull his sidearm, empty the entire clip into the Chief for laughs, toss the IA guy out the window, and then escape with the police force chasing after him. He's now a wanted felon and he thinks it's hilarious.

Player B woke up in a hospital at one point and immediately flipped out, going through the building and murdering everyone he came across, doctors, nurses, patients, the janitor... Why? Because "why not?"
    Last edited by Seghast; 24 October 2012 at 09:30 PM.

D6 Forever!

This is player boredom done in the form of acting out. Killing their characters will accomplish nothing of what you want.

If the players are bored, and they stay on to make more characters, their new characters will pick right back up where the old ones left off.

The GM isn't running a game that is engaging enough for all of the players. It might be what YOU enjoy, and a couple of others, but for whatever reason, the other players have decided that the only "fun" they can have is by being disruptive in the game. Notice that in both cases, the character got to do a lot more things and got to be the center of attention for a while. The players thought that was lots of fun. It shows that they think the other parts of the game haven't been fun.

The GM needs to speak with the players to figure out what the problem is. It could be as simple as the players making new characters that can engage in more activity in the adventure. What you're not going to be able to do is reason with them while they're acting out, because they probably ARE finally having fun when the rest of the game time has been boring.

By you deciding, as your character, to execute the PCs, you're not only not addressing the real problem (why they did it), but you're also making it more of YOUR responsibility. Thus, if the players are vindictive (which they might be if they are bored enough to act out like they did), they could generate new characters simply dedicated to killing your character or disrupting things even more. Let the GM handle it.

He can handwave them out of the picture. They're locked away and turned over to proper authorities at the first available opportunity, their characters are removed from play. Done. But the BIG thing is that the GM should find out, out of the game and preferrably not before or after the game session, what the problem is with the players. Are they bored? Do they want different characters? Do they want a different adventure? Do they want a different game? Do they want a different GM? Or do they simply want to take a break from gaming? Whatever it is, it needs to be resolved.

The actions are abberations, the types that put that character into focus for the game session and reportedly made the game session quite enjoyable for the player. Player problem, not character problem, so killing the characters accomplishes little.

Hope this helps.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.
    facta, non verba

Quote Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
    But the BIG thing is that the GM should find out, out of the game and preferrably not before or after the game session, what the problem is with the players. Are they bored? Do they want different characters? Do they want a different adventure? Do they want a different game? Do they want a different GM? Or do they simply want to take a break from gaming?
    I think he has spoken with them to try and resolve their issues, but I can't say for certain.

I know wanting new characters can't be it; we're very lax about rolling a new character whenever you want and always putting him up on par with the more-veteran characters so no one feels too under-powered by comparison. We try to keep an open dialogue about the story progression; talking about how things went down after the game and making sure everyone is okay with what happened and where we seem to be going. I know sometimes people have issues they might not want to discuss with the group as a whole, but neither player has ever spoken up and expressed dissatisfaction during these exchanges. I'm honestly under the impression that they simply love causing chaos... One of the other, more mature players (ironically the youngest of our group), quotes from The Dark Knight when describing these two, "some men just want to watch the world burn."

Sky Pilot

Some people just don't get it. Tell them as diplomatically as you care to, "You two are ruining the game for the rest of us. Shape up or ship out."

Gaming is supposed to be fun. If you're not having fun with them in the game, you're better off without them.
    <<<<<

They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles... Isaiah 40:31

Veteran Player

Agreed. Seems like these 2 players are NOT fits for your group.
    You cannot dodge it if you don't know it is coming, and you cannot shoot at what you don't know is there!

I'd just like to second what Grim said. Let's be honest, a lot of us RP because we enjoy not being ourselves for a little while. We like being heroes, or at least to go on adventures and do things we otherwise can't. Maybe they do just like making mayhem, but maybe their desires are not being met by the campaign. It's a conflict of interest, and one which might not be solvable, but I would say that whoever can comfortably talk to these two should sit down and discuss what's been going on.
    Utulie'n aure! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatari, utulie'n aure!

I spoke with our GM last night and he assures me he's spoken with both players.

Player 1 is apparently having some issue in his life that's just driving him mad and he's acting out his frustrations in-game. I can understand that, but he's assured the GM that he'll try and find other ways to vent without being psychotically disruptive anymore.

Player 2 was actually unhappy with his character after all; despite our very open policy of rolling new characters whenever you want, he's felt compelled to try and force himself to play the Jedi and it's just not working out for him. The GM is going to help him roll a new character to use next time we get together and hopefully that will resolve the problem with him.

D6 Forever!

Well good, it sounds like the GM stepped up and put his finger on the things. I figured it was a case of something like that. Hopefully it works itself out.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.
    facta, non verba

Thread Information