Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Disney Bought Lucasfilms

Experienced Player

I am also hopeful, like so many other studios, Disney can do good film when they get the right people in the right place. Now to be honest there are some screenwriter and directors out there whose selection will cause me to not watch the film. Just as there are some authors in novel series who I don't bother reading while I enjoy others.

I believe its already been said that Ep 7-9 are going to be original stories, however they intend to release a new film every 2-3 years after. Never know how they will chose to focus the development of the Universe post Lucas inspired stories despite that he is remaining a Creative director of them.

In the question about the Expanded Universe, for most of us I think its always been a game of picking and choosing which piece of fluff to include and which not too, its been that way rather heavily since the prequels came out. For me this means tossing out probably 50% of the pre-1998 (ish) material and about 90% of the post, because it doesn't fit in how I define the SW universe. I will probably have to do the same with the future films, just as I have to with current material like the often horrible but occasionally neat Clone Wars cartoons.

Yeah, I've always been a cherrypicker when it comes to EU material. Even going so far as to pick and choose elements of specific novels and stories to keep and ignoring the rest. I liked the idea of the super-secret research facility known as the Maw introduced by KJA even while I hated Admiral Janeway, er... sorry, wrong franchise. Admiral Daala. And I despised Kyp Duirron while liking a lot of the other Jedi Apprentices he created such as Tionne, Streen, and Cilghal.
    Suspenders of Disbelief: For When the Harsh Weight of Reality Threatens to Drag the Trousers of Our Imagination Down to the Unforgiving Floor of Mundanity!

The citizens do not need to know what the cost is. They only need know that the mission has been accomplished.

My sole regret, as I initiate the scuttling sequence that will send my fusion pile critical, is that I will not be present in .03 seconds. I would like to watch as the Enemy try to vent an omnidirectional thermonuclear explosion into their research facility. - Bolo Unit Maldon, Mk. XXX Continental Seige Unit of the 3rd Battalion, Dinochrome Brigade.

I liked the idea of the Maw a lot as well. The execution, not so much.

I'm glad they'll be starting over, though I would not mind seeing some of the more popular elements from the EU making an appearance (Mara Jade?)
    Utulie'n aure! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatari, utulie'n aure!

Dark Lord, and the Fourth Centurion, of the HotShot Quiz
    Roaming the Tombs of the Sith Lords on Korriban

I know it's highly unlikely, but one has to wonder if Boba Fett would be "resurrected" for the sequel trilogy. I mean, I'm sure I know Lucas' thoughts on the matter, but one never knows, given how Lucas gave into fan appeal in the EU. Plus, with Lucas no longer behind the driver's wheel, I could see at least a cameo by Fett.
    Currently Working On:
    --The Holonet Alien Anthology
    --The Friends and Foes Compendium
    In loving memory of P.C., we who knew you will never forget you...

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Fierce View Post
    I know it's highly unlikely, but one has to wonder if Boba Fett would be "resurrected" for the sequel trilogy. I mean, I'm sure I know Lucas' thoughts on the matter, but one never knows, given how Lucas gave into fan appeal in the EU. Plus, with Lucas no longer behind the driver's wheel, I could see at least a cameo by Fett.
    Only if Jeremy Bulloch supplies the voice.
    Suspenders of Disbelief: For When the Harsh Weight of Reality Threatens to Drag the Trousers of Our Imagination Down to the Unforgiving Floor of Mundanity!

The citizens do not need to know what the cost is. They only need know that the mission has been accomplished.

My sole regret, as I initiate the scuttling sequence that will send my fusion pile critical, is that I will not be present in .03 seconds. I would like to watch as the Enemy try to vent an omnidirectional thermonuclear explosion into their research facility. - Bolo Unit Maldon, Mk. XXX Continental Seige Unit of the 3rd Battalion, Dinochrome Brigade.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayle Skolaris View Post
    Only if Jeremy Bulloch supplies the voice.
    That would be nice, but personally I wouldn't mind it that much if it were Temuera Morrison's voice. Still, Bulloch had a nice rasp to his voice, and you'd imagine spending time in the Sarlacc would lead to that.
    Currently Working On:

So, supposedly Harrison Ford has shown some interest in being in the new movies (at least VII)...could Solo's return be another indicator that Fett would return as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Fierce View Post
    So, supposedly Harrison Ford has shown some interest in being in the new movies (at least VII)...could Solo's return be another indicator that Fett would return as well?
    Ford is only interested in returning if they kill off Han, and I doubt Disney/Lucasfilm would dare do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Seghast View Post
    Ford is only interested in returning if they kill off Han, and I doubt Disney/Lucasfilm would dare do that.
    Ford has always had a rather peculiar hatred of Han that I never really understood.

D6 Forever!

Some people really seem to hate the character that propelled them to fame. Shatner went through a phase where he hated Kirk. Nimoy hated Spock for a while. Ford will probably hate Han Solo until he retires from movies completely and has time to think about what made him as popular as he became.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.
    facta, non verba

Quote Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
    Some people really seem to hate the character that propelled them to fame. Shatner went through a phase where he hated Kirk. Nimoy hated Spock for a while. Ford will probably hate Han Solo until he retires from movies completely and has time to think about what made him as popular as he became.
    Of course, apparently Ford also loves Indiana Jones.
    Currently Working On:

All knowing, all seeing eye of Star Wars
    Out in the Unknown Regions of my mind....

Hopefully, we'll get more info when the new year comes.
    "You don't know the Power of a Darkside!" - Darth Vader to Luke (Episode V)

Co-author of the Rise of the Empire Infinities Sourcebook: http://submissions.swrpgnetwork.com/entry.php?id=1865
    Co-Author of the Rebellion Era Infinities Sourcebook: http://www.swrpgnetwork.com/entry.php?id=1867
    Co-Author of The Legacy of the Force Sourcebook: http://www.mediafire.com/file/e515z0...Version%5D.pdf

Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Lucasfilm: NEW STAR WARS MOVIES ANNOUNCED AS DISNEY ENTERS AGREEMENT TO ACQUIRE LUCASFILM LTD.
    Disney: DISNEY TO ACQUIRE LUCASFILM LTD.

George Lucas will donate billions to charity

Mark Hamill weighs in on the future of 'Star Wars' -- EXCLUSIVE
    Harrison Ford open to idea of Han Solo role ('Star Wars' sequel) -- EXCLUSIVE
    Carrie Fisher -- Damn Right I Wanna Be in the New 'Star Wars'

Star Wars 7 Plot Will Be "an Original Story," Says Lucasfilm Source
    Michael Arndt to Write Screenplay for Star Wars: Episode VII
    Michael Arndt

I am very pleased with this news. This guy is not only a big fan, but he's also a Star Wars scholar who really understands Star Wars cinematically.

NEW VIDEO SERIES: A DISCUSSION ABOUT THE FUTURE OF STAR WARS

The second video: George Lucas, Keeper of the Flame.

Star Wars Episode VII just keeps getting better and better!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
    I, for one, hope that the Disney writers ditch a sizable portion of the post-Endor EU and come up with something new. New minds, hopefully fresh, new ideas, and new direction. For those that want to stick solely with "canon", let them have an aneurism attempting to figure out how to retcon it. For those of us that don't give a fig about sticking with "canon", let Disney wipe the slate clean and start with interesting new ideas!
    I agree with every bloody word!
    Last edited by Whill; 10 November 2012 at 08:56 PM.

The writer of Toy Story 3, eh?
    I'd say that's a good thing.
    I dare to say I'm starting to feel excited.

Registered User Terras Jadeonar & Raven's Avatar
    Twi'lek Maseuse room, Spa Resort on Ryloth

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    The writer of Toy Story 3, eh?
    I'd say that's a good thing.
    I dare to say I'm starting to feel excited.
    Me too. Especially given that Disney bought out Marvel Studios and did a high quality job with Spiderman, Captain America, Thor, The Avengers for production values. These weren't exactly the typical kids Bambi cartoon type movies either. That fact alone, perhaps gives me hope and looking forward to a new Star Wars trilogy that will blow all of us out of our minds and craving for more.

I would hope that they do keep some of the EU stuff in there, and progress onwards from Ep VI rather than totally toss out everything and "re-invent" Star Wars from the ground up. If anything I do hope they keep Timothy Zahn's contributions to the EU.

Disney did re-do the Spiderman franchise, retconning some of the storyline, so that does leave me to wonder just what will they change or revise about Star Wars.

If anything, (and lets be sensible about this); Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamil, are understandably way older now, so it would hard to just pickup where Ep VI leaves off.

There's 2 ways Disney could go with this: Jump ahead in the SW timeline about 30yrs:

A.) And continue on with the adventures of Han Solo, Princess Leia, and Luke Skywalker...

B.) Introduce a whole new group of heroes, a younger cast to carry on the torch, while Han Solo and the rest of the former cast, be supporting characters.

That being said, I'd also have to wonder about some of the EU aspect - will Disney have kept other elements like Han and Leia's marriage, and their three kids - Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin? What about Luke and Mara Jade?

I'd also have to wonder about the Empire, if there was anything left of it, or what became of it by then? in the EU, it was still around, just closed in and secluded, known as the Imperial Remnant. Although there was no shortage of Imperial Warlords from the various formerly Empire controlled systems, who once in a while decided to try start a new Empire (or return the Empire to its former glory).

The NJO is definitely something I could do without.

I would say more likely it could very well be that we end up seeing a rebirth of the Republic, a return to the grand golden age, and very likely a fresh insurgence of a few Sith lords... OR heck, it could be the return of the Republic, but with both Jedi and Sith existent and in growing numbers, with occasional clashes until something really rises to a boil... Lets say if Luke did start up a Jedi Academy on Yavin, and being more lenient with the Jedi tenet, allowing for marriages and families, etc, it would be inevitable it would also foster quite a grey area and eventually a group of Sith minded individuals.

Ahh well, just some musings on the subject of what a new trilogy story arc could contain
    Last edited by Terras Jadeonar & Raven; 11 November 2012 at 08:59 PM.
    ├ 3D Art @: Star Wars Artist Guild Member GalleryDeviantArt Gallery (New!)
    ├ Websites: Co-GM of: Q:TU Rebel #2 (Status: On Hold) ● "The Camp" (Status: Offline)
    ├ RPG Info: Signature #46: My Repertoire of RPGs (Updated: 09/09/2006)
    Please, just refer to me as TJR OR Terras. thx! (08/16/08)

Thread Information