Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Disney Bought Lucasfilms

Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Quote Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
    I, for one, am very happy that JJ Abrams declined to work on the new Star Wars films.
    I'm not disappointed, although it may be for different reasons. Abrams starwarsified Star Trek. What's he going to do with real Star Wars? Make it even more like Star Wars? No. And as much as I liked Star Trek (09), all the camera shaking in Star Wars would probably get on my nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by Whill View Post
    I'm not disappointed, although it may be for different reasons. Abrams starwarsified Star Trek. What's he going to do with real Star Wars? Make it even more like Star Wars? No. And as much as I liked Star Trek (09), all the camera shaking in Star Wars would probably get on my nerves.
    And the lens flares! Never forget the lens flares! Lens flares on lightsabres, lens flares on Death Star blasts, lens flares on Chewbacca's canine teeth when he roars in defiance as moons with lens flares are dropped on him... With lens flares!
    Suspenders of Disbelief: For When the Harsh Weight of Reality Threatens to Drag the Trousers of Our Imagination Down to the Unforgiving Floor of Mundanity!

The citizens do not need to know what the cost is. They only need know that the mission has been accomplished.

My sole regret, as I initiate the scuttling sequence that will send my fusion pile critical, is that I will not be present in .03 seconds. I would like to watch as the Enemy try to vent an omnidirectional thermonuclear explosion into their research facility. - Bolo Unit Maldon, Mk. XXX Continental Seige Unit of the 3rd Battalion, Dinochrome Brigade.

Default J.J. Abrams

So the story about Abrams declining Star Wars early on going public must have been a ploy to get more money... that worked.

Star Wars Is Being Kick-Started with Dynamite J.J. Abrams to Direct Star Wars: Episode VII

I'm not dissappointed it is Abrams either. He's a big fan of the classic trilogy. They could do so much worse. Maybe it's better to ensure a Starwarsified new Star Wars trilogy (as opposed to a possibly de-Starwarsified new Star Wars trilogy by someone else). I'm choosing to look at this as a good sign, and I remain cautously optimistic about the next film trilogy.

D6 Forever!

Yeah, the "meh" is increasing in me with this news. Not quite the direction I was hoping for when it came to putting a good look to new Star Wars movies. Still, I'll wait until I see his first work in Star Wars before definitively saying whether it's a hit or miss for me.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.
    facta, non verba

Its exactly the same.
    Want to play Star Wars RPG PBEM? Then just go to www.starwars-chronicles.com

Star Wars Chronicles Fan Fiction projects:

Truce at Bakura - Finally in the works

Short Stories - Duel of Fates and Honour's 1st draft finished, currently under revision!

Sky Pilot

JJ Abrams? Well, I bet the movie will be big and bright and loud and fast. But will there be any substance behind the flash? I hope so, but I'm not ready to bet on it.
    <<<<<

They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles... Isaiah 40:31

Blog Entries

Not disappointed, not notably thrilled either.

I'm going to just continue keeping an open mind moving forward, and appreciating that I will almost certainly get some entertainment value out of a new movie.

The positive is that Abrams is a fan of the original trilogy, so one hopes that he will approach the material with the respect of a fan. Given his success lately, it says to me that Disney wanted a safe choice-- if that is the attitude they are bringing to the picture I think that is the result they will get. I will take broadly enjoyable, if unambitious, over an overwrought first attempt that torpedoes the franchise reboot.
    I desire what is good. Therefore, everyone who does not agree with me is a traitor-- King George III
    "The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." -- W. Somerset Maugham
    Check out Run to the Rim (NEW! Updated 1/24/08!)
    and
    Old Friends, New Republic (Updated 12/27/07)

Sky Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Rostek View Post
    an overwrought first attempt that torpedoes the franchise reboot.
    That pretty much sums up my reaction to JJ Trek. IMO, he was the wrong choice for Trek, but his style could be a better fit for SW. Time will tell.
    <<<<<

They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles... Isaiah 40:31

D6 Forever!

It's nice to see someone else that didn't care for Abrams' "change" to Trek, Sarge. I'm not a big fan of the new trek either. I hope he does a better job with Star Wars.
    facta, non verba

Quote Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
    It's nice to see someone else that didn't care for Abrams' "change" to Trek, Sarge. I'm not a big fan of the new trek either. I hope he does a better job with Star Wars.
    I'm with both of you; it was watchable, and that's about all I can say for it.

Honestly, I haven't cared for anything he's done so far; his movies, his television shows, nothing. The bit of optimism I had for Episode VII began to fade when Abrams was confirmed, though one of my friends is a huge fan of Abrams and his Tret movie (best Trek ever after Wrath of Khan, according to him), and he is positively ecstatic over this news. All I can do is groan and hope he can at least do marginally better than the prequel trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Seghast View Post
    All I can do is groan and hope he can at least do marginally better than the prequel trilogy.
    Hey, if Star Wars VII is better than Attack of the Clones (my least favorite of the saga), I'll do cartwheels!

Experienced Player

Yeah New Trek is about as watchable as EP2 for me as well but for similar reasons.

Trek has some brilliant flashy scenes to it but at the same time there is so much dumb... I mean if I wanted 90210 space dumb I would watch Starship Troopers (or one of its sequels). Now it would be easy to blame most of the dumb on the writers, but imo Abrams deserves some of the credit since he is the one who actually transferred it to the screen instead of going back for a re-write.

I only hope that the treatment by Lucas goes into a script by Arndt which is better researched and makes more sense then Trek; because from what I have seen Abrams doesn't fix.... he just adds to the dumb.

Veteran Player

What areas of the new trek did you think were dumb?
    You cannot dodge it if you don't know it is coming, and you cannot shoot at what you don't know is there!

Experienced Player

The biggest thing I think for me was how emotionally unstable many of the characters are... it seems they are more modeled off of teens then actual mature individuals, like prequel Anakin or most of the characters in the new BSG (the main reason I don't care so much for that show). Too much posturing and angst for my taste.

Also consistency makes or breaks a fictional creation. For Trek I can appreciate the alternate universe part of it so that the characters are different, however I do have a hard time with science being off. Every time I encounter an inconsistency (that I notice) I get thrown out of the setting. This happens in Star Wars as well... as anyone who has watched the Clone Wars cartoons knows.

I don't really care for the goofy bits that don't add anything other then time spent watching in anything including Trek or TPM or whatever.

If actual specific scenes are desired I would have to watch it again. I haven't seen it in a year; I've found its one of the films that my appreciation decreases with each viewing.

D6 Forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Armadious View Post
    The biggest thing I think for me was how emotionally unstable many of the characters are... it seems they are more modeled off of teens then actual mature individuals, like prequel Anakin or most of the characters in the new BSG (the main reason I don't care so much for that show). Too much posturing and angst for my taste.
    You, sir, are putting into words what I've thought for a while but have been unable to express appropriately.
    facta, non verba

Thread Information