Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Disney Bought Lucasfilms

Quote Originally Posted by Terras Jadeonar & Raven View Post
    Me too. Especially given that Disney bought out Marvel Studios and did a high quality job with Spiderman, Captain America, Thor, The Avengers for production values. These weren't exactly the typical kids Bambi cartoon type movies either. That fact alone, perhaps gives me hope and looking forward to a new Star Wars trilogy that will blow all of us out of our minds and craving for more.

I would hope that they do keep some of the EU stuff in there, and progress onwards from Ep VI rather than totally toss out everything and "re-invent" Star Wars from the ground up. If anything I do hope they keep Timothy Zahn's contributions to the EU.

Disney did re-do the Spiderman franchise, retconning some of the storyline, so that does leave me to wonder just what will they change or revise about Star Wars.
    Nitpick, but a significant one. Disney doesn't have the movie rights to all Marvel characters, Spidey being one of them. None of the Spidey films have been in-canon with the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The in- canon properties are Thor, Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk (specifically DEcanonizing Ang Lee's movie) Captain America and The Avengers.

Spidey, Ghost Rider, Daredevil, Elektra, Punisher, Fantastic Four, X-Men, X-Men Origins, X-Men First Class, Blade, and basically every other character remotely based on a Marvel character from the 21st century is NOT in-canon with the MCU that The Avengers was built around. All those little easter eggs in the X-Men films showing Stark Industries crates are nothing more than that.
    Suspenders of Disbelief: For When the Harsh Weight of Reality Threatens to Drag the Trousers of Our Imagination Down to the Unforgiving Floor of Mundanity!

The citizens do not need to know what the cost is. They only need know that the mission has been accomplished.

My sole regret, as I initiate the scuttling sequence that will send my fusion pile critical, is that I will not be present in .03 seconds. I would like to watch as the Enemy try to vent an omnidirectional thermonuclear explosion into their research facility. - Bolo Unit Maldon, Mk. XXX Continental Seige Unit of the 3rd Battalion, Dinochrome Brigade.

Jedi Master, Scholar, and Keeper of the True Light

Me too. Especially given that Disney bought out Marvel Studios and did a high quality job with Spiderman, Captain America, Thor, The Avengers for production values. These weren't exactly the typical kids Bambi cartoon type movies either. That fact alone, perhaps gives me hope and looking forward to a new Star Wars trilogy that will blow all of us out of our minds and craving for more.

I would hope that they do keep some of the EU stuff in there, and progress onwards from Ep VI rather than totally toss out everything and "re-invent" Star Wars from the ground up. If anything I do hope they keep Timothy Zahn's contributions to the EU.

Disney did re-do the Spiderman franchise, retconning some of the storyline, so that does leave me to wonder just what will they change or revise about Star Wars.

If anything, (and lets be sensible about this); Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamil, are understandably way older now, so it would hard to just pickup where Ep VI leaves off.

There's 2 ways Disney could go with this: Jump ahead in the SW timeline about 30yrs:

A.) And continue on with the adventures of Han Solo, Princess Leia, and Luke Skywalker...

B.) Introduce a whole new group of heroes, a younger cast to carry on the torch, while Han Solo and the rest of the former cast, be supporting characters.

That being said, I'd also have to wonder about some of the EU aspect - will Disney have kept other elements like Han and Leia's marriage, and their three kids - Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin? What about Luke and Mara Jade?

I'd also have to wonder about the Empire, if there was anything left of it, or what became of it by then? in the EU, it was still around, just closed in and secluded, known as the Imperial Remnant. Although there was no shortage of Imperial Warlords from the various formerly Empire controlled systems, who once in a while decided to try start a new Empire (or return the Empire to its former glory).

The NJO is definitely something I could do without.

I would say more likely it could very well be that we end up seeing a rebirth of the Republic, a return to the grand golden age, and very likely a fresh insurgence of a few Sith lords... OR heck, it could be the return of the Republic, but with both Jedi and Sith existent and in growing numbers, with occasional clashes until something really rises to a boil... Lets say if Luke did start up a Jedi Academy on Yavin, and being more lenient with the Jedi tenet, allowing for marriages and families, etc, it would be inevitable it would also foster quite a grey area and eventually a group of Sith minded individuals.

Ahh well, just some musings on the subject of what a new trilogy story arc could contain
    There was 20 years between episode 3 and 4, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did something similar before episode 7.

And from what I've heard, Anakin, the son of Han Solo, died because Lucas didn't want another character with that name. And I've heard similar things about Luke getting married.

I would agree with you that keeping Han and Leia getting married and Luke training new Jedi would be great.
    "Faith Manages." - Ambassador Delenn
    Potentate of the Rose

Veteran Player

From everything i have read, disney did little for the avengers/thor etc.. they were already done, disney just didn't step in to change them.
    You cannot dodge it if you don't know it is coming, and you cannot shoot at what you don't know is there!

As long as the Sith don't make a return, I'm okay with everything else. If they bring the Sith back, I feel the future movies will suffer the same symptoms of the EU. It will stagnate on an endless focus of Jedi vs Sith.

Having said that I'm okay for the occasional Dark sider to show up.
    Want to play Star Wars RPG PBEM? Then just go to www.starwars-chronicles.com

Star Wars Chronicles Fan Fiction projects:

Truce at Bakura - Finally in the works

Short Stories - Duel of Fates and Honour's 1st draft finished, currently under revision!

Dark Lord, and the Fourth Centurion, of the HotShot Quiz
    Roaming the Tombs of the Sith Lords on Korriban

Truth be told, I'm kind of afraid that it's going to be Jedi vs. Sith redux. From many people's perspective (especially those people who haven't read any EU), what is Star Wars if it isn't Jedi vs. Sith? Sure there's the Hutts and other criminal elements, but is that enough to base a movie, let alone a trilogy on? As Palpatine put it, it's probably going to be civil war without end.
    Currently Working On:
    --The Holonet Alien Anthology
    --The Friends and Foes Compendium
    In loving memory of P.C., we who knew you will never forget you...

Veteran Player

If aything, i say focus on the Xwing novels!
    You cannot dodge it if you don't know it is coming, and you cannot shoot at what you don't know is there!

Registered User Terras Jadeonar & Raven's Avatar
    Twi'lek Maseuse room, Spa Resort on Ryloth

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    If aything, i say focus on the Xwing novels!
    Hey, you've got a really good point there. The articles do suggest that it will be an original story, meaning, not a movie adaptation of one of the novels.

But, on the flipside, your right, they could actually do more of a "Top Gun" or "Iron Eagle" style Rogue Squadron type storyline. There's alot of wide-open area they could go with that, since even the novels only cover a handful of stories. it would be original for the movie aspect, a fresh focus, and it still would be very much Star Wars. And a former Imperial Warlord would make for a great plot-point. There could be an X-Wing type flight school / academy, be it based on a planet or capital ship like a Mon Cal MC80.

:edit / addendum:
    If anyone's ever had the opportunity to play all or any of the X-Wing (and Tie Fighter) space / flight sim games from the early 90's, those were tones of fun. The entire game revolving around you as a pilot and part of the Rebel Alliance (and later in the Tie fighter edition, being a fighter pilot for the Empire). That included everything from pilot training in the proving grounds, to seeing through the completion of an actual campaign.
    Last edited by Terras Jadeonar & Raven; 13 November 2012 at 07:42 PM.
    ├ 3D Art @: Star Wars Artist Guild Member GalleryDeviantArt Gallery (New!)
    ├ Websites: Co-GM of: Q:TU Rebel #2 (Status: On Hold) ● "The Camp" (Status: Offline)
    ├ RPG Info: Signature #46: My Repertoire of RPGs (Updated: 09/09/2006)
    Please, just refer to me as TJR OR Terras. thx! (08/16/08)

Hey, you've got a really good point there. The articles do suggest that it will be an original story, meaning, not a movie adaptation of one of the novels.

But, on the flipside, your right, they could actually do more of a "Top Gun" or "Iron Eagle" style Rogue Squadron type storyline. There's alot of wide-open area they could go with that, since even the novels only cover a handful of stories. it would be original for the movie aspect, a fresh focus, and it still would be very much Star Wars. And a former Imperial Warlord would make for a great plot-point. There could be an X-Wing type flight school / academy, be it based on a planet or capital ship like a Mon Cal MC80.

:edit / addendum:
    If anyone's ever had the opportunity to play all or any of the X-Wing (and Tie Fighter) space / flight sim games from the early 90's, those were tones of fun. The entire game revolving around you as a pilot and part of the Rebel Alliance (and later in the Tie fighter edition, being a fighter pilot for the Empire). That included everything from pilot training in the proving grounds, to seeing through the completion of an actual campaign.
    I tend to agree, the X-Wing novels were refreshing as it wasn't all The Skywalkers and Friends. Showed that there was much more depth to the Rebellion than had be previously given attention.
    First Law of GMing: Semper Gumby
    Show me someone who has never said "It's good to be Evil", I'll show you someone who's never GM'd.

Wisdom is a lot like the Blues. You have to suffer to get it right.

Veteran Player

Thanks. I felt the ability of those novels to not only focus on the "Little people' but actually have some die (soon too) rather than script immunity all (or most) was very refreshing.

A thought just occurred to me... This could lead to a special edition DVD/Blu-Ray release of a watchable version of the dreaded Star Wars Holiday Special.
    Suspenders of Disbelief: For When the Harsh Weight of Reality Threatens to Drag the Trousers of Our Imagination Down to the Unforgiving Floor of Mundanity!

The citizens do not need to know what the cost is. They only need know that the mission has been accomplished.

My sole regret, as I initiate the scuttling sequence that will send my fusion pile critical, is that I will not be present in .03 seconds. I would like to watch as the Enemy try to vent an omnidirectional thermonuclear explosion into their research facility. - Bolo Unit Maldon, Mk. XXX Continental Seige Unit of the 3rd Battalion, Dinochrome Brigade.

Lightbulb Consider This...

Greetings my brothers,

I guess my opinion will hopelessly be the minority around here. Oh well...

I have invested a fairly significant portion of my financial resources to Star Wars products over the last three decades. I for one was most disappointed by the prequels and the continuity disaster they produced to both the Expanded Universe and the Old Trilogy. I wont bore you with the specifics, I wrote a rather exhaustive "Prequel Commentary" to outline my research on the topic. The bottom line, I am amazed at how quickly some of you are willing to keep buying products from a company that bulldozers over its older material rendering it "obsolete" when you paid for said products with your hard earned money. I guess Star Wars is in the mess it's in because so many people will just buy anything and everything with the "Star Wars" logo on it. Alas...

I was further saddened to see the "Prequel Sympathizers" suffer disappointment, similar to my own, when the "Clone Wars" movie and TV show was released with its own special recipe of fresh continuity blunders. As many of you know, I have refused to purchase any Star Wars products produced after May 18, 1999 and I continue to encourage and try to convince my brother and sister SW fans to do likewise.

Enter The Walt Disney Corporation and a new "Third Age" to the Star Wars Phenomenon.

I offer to you my brothers a proposal, instead of sitting around waiting to see what Disney will do, why not start writing some letters to Disney and telling them what you really want?????

I myself have done so twice, my first letter implored Disney to divorce itself from all things Star Wars from the last 13 years and my second letter advised Disney to make Episode VII, "Star Wars - Heir to the Empire". I remind you that the best way to get what you want is to have an opinion, ask for it, and when you are offered garbage, vote "NO!" with your wallets and boycott shoddy products. If Star Wars is ever to improve, it will be from the buying behaviors of its discerning fans.

This link may be of use to those wishing to speak to Disney.

Disney - Contact Corporate Communications

Food for thought my brothers, ponder this please...
    Frank V Bonura - STAR WARS Deckplans Alliance Founder

Quote Originally Posted by FVBonura View Post
    Greetings my brothers,

I have invested a fairly significant portion of my financial resources to Star Wars products over the last three decades. I for one was most disappointed by the prequels and the continuity disaster they produced to both the Expanded Universe and the Old Trilogy. I wont bore you with the specifics, I wrote a rather exhaustive "Prequel Commentary" to outline my research on the topic. The bottom line, I am amazed at how quickly some of you are willing to keep buying products from a company that bulldozers over its older material rendering it "obsolete" when you paid for said products with your hard earned money. I guess Star Wars is in the mess it's in because so many people will just buy anything and everything with the "Star Wars" logo on it. Alas...

I was further saddened to see the "Prequel Sympathizers" suffer disappointment, similar to my own, when the "Clone Wars" movie and TV show was released with its own special recipe of fresh continuity blunders. As many of you know, I have refused to purchase any Star Wars products produced after May 18, 1999 and I continue to encourage and try to convince my brother and sister SW fans to do likewise.

Enter The Walt Disney Corporation and a new "Third Age" to the Star Wars Phenomenon.

I offer to you my brothers a proposal, instead of sitting around waiting to see what Disney will do, why not start writing some letters to Disney and telling them what you really want?????

I myself have done so twice, my first letter implored Disney to divorce itself from all things Star Wars from the last 13 years and my second letter advised Disney to make Episode VII, "Star Wars - Heir to the Empire". I remind you that the best way to get what you want is to have an opinion, ask for it, and when you are offered garbage, vote "NO!" with your wallets and boycott shoddy products. If Star Wars is ever to improve, it will be from the buying behaviors of its discerning fans.

Of course, it'd also be prudent of Disney to have a presence on this site, possibly even posting ideas for a fan-based, engineering style Failure Analysis. Guaranteed, you post something dodgy on this here Holonet, you'll have a people picking it apart, even more if there's a decent core concept worth salvaging - just give the fans who do much of the brainsweat for you a little credit.
    Show me someone who has never said "It's good to be Evil", I'll show you someone who's never GM'd.

Greetings my brothers,

Of course, it'd also be prudent of Disney to have a presence on this site, possibly even posting ideas for a fan-based, engineering style Failure Analysis.

Guaranteed, you post something dodgy on this here Holonet, you'll have a people picking it apart, even more if there's a decent core concept worth salvaging. Just give the fans who do much of the brainsweat for you for free a little credit.

they could actually do more of a "Top Gun" or "Iron Eagle" style Rogue Squadron type storyline. There's alot of wide-open area they could go with that, since even the novels only cover a handful of stories. it would be original for the movie aspect, a fresh focus, and it still would be very much Star Wars. And a former Imperial Warlord would make for a great plot-point. There could be an X-Wing type flight school / academy, be it based on a planet or capital ship like a Mon Cal MC80.
    You had me at "Iron Eagle." God I loved that cheesy movie... had the soundtrack on cassette.
    "Half the fun of God's forgiveness is having reasons to ask for it."

Good points Frank; Disney will certainly have a delicate balancing act to do when it comes to keeping long-term fans happy (a massive community that can't even come to internal agreement), and opening up the franchise to a new generation.

Personally, I care less about strict "canon continuity" than I do keeping the style and feel consistent. And when it comes down to it, all I really want is a good story, well told. Since the announcement of the Disney acquisition, I've been thinking a lot about the new Star Trek film(s). There was a lot I liked about that film, but it seems that every time I re-watch it, the less I like the changes they made to my conception of "traditional Trek storytelling."

Not ready to give up on "New Trek," but I hope the new SW bosses can manage things a little better.

And please, don't make it all Sith and Mandalorians. Please? Mandalorians are the SW equivalent of the X-Men's Wolverine: a great character that just gets shoved down your throat in an effort to maximize the marketability of every X-Men project. All in moderation, Disney, if you please.

- CY
    "Half the fun of God's forgiveness is having reasons to ask for it."

Thread Information