Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Disney Bought Lucasfilms

D6 Forever!

I will move this thread to the Rumors, but at the same time I'll issue a word of caution: If a particular person or particular idea a person is conveying is against your thinking or your beliefs, then I suggest you refrain from post in this thread. Don't start insulting a person. Don't respond to insults thrown at you.

If this thread gets off on a tangent of who thinks so-and-so is in whatever mental capacity, I will be forced to close it. Please act in a professional, courteous manner towards each other, or simply avoid interacting with certain people.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.
    facta, non verba

D6 Forever!

I will move this thread to the Rumors, but at the same time I'll issue a word of caution: If a particular person or particular idea a person is conveying is against your thinking or your beliefs, then I suggest you refrain from post in this thread. Don't start insulting a person. Don't respond to insults thrown at you.

If this thread gets off on a tangent of who thinks so-and-so is in whatever mental capacity, I will be forced to close it. Please act in a professional, courteous manner towards each other, or simply avoid interacting with certain people.
    facta, non verba

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Surely you're not serious.
    As Kayle (Dan) said yes I am. I have been up and down the Bantam/Spectra novels from 1991-1999 and perhaps barring "Darksaber" (Piranha Beetle Conservation) none has dared to contradict the Old Trilogy. Most of the internal inconsistencies I suspect have more to do with interpretation than revisionism. The Prequels, by means of contrast, have blatantly disagreed with the Old Trilogy with no regard for what was filmed in 1977-83.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayle Skolaris View Post
    Frankie's gone off the deep end into pure nutcase zealot mode since I ended my association with him. He talks about Star Wars like it's a religion now.
    I love you Dan, and lets be honest, how are you any different from me? Lets be even more honest, who here could not be logically branded as having at least some measure of zeal for the STAR WARS universe??? Would it even be possible to have a Holonet Forum without zeal for STAR WARS?

Quote Originally Posted by Fingon View Post
    I think this argument boils down to a question of ownership: who owns Star Wars?
    A very good question Flingon and perhaps the most relevant. If you looked around my desk, you would agree I own quite a bit.

Billions of dollars of SW property are owned by us the consumers. Does anybody remember the Studebaker??? Why don't they make cars any more??? Clearly regardless of corporate ownership, the American public decided if Ford, Chevrolet, Chrysler, or if Studebaker was to survive. The same is true of Star Wars. Ultimately we the fans decide with our wallets. We the fans are powerful and I wish we could think speak out, and act as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Fingon View Post
    And perhaps we should refrain from personal attacks here.
    I would speak in Kayle's (Dan's) Defense. He has neither insulted nor attacked me. He has a right to his opinion because he is 100% correct and I have much tougher skin than most when people are honest about me. Thank you Dan for your words, you know me all too well.

I think it's impossible to be truly objective and its likewise impossible to approach any subject devoid of presuppositions about said topic. STAR WARS evokes passion and that is a good thing. STAR WARS has value to all of us and we guard and defend her like precious metals and jewels. Again this is good. My call as always is to "pass on what you have learned" teach those who do not know and most importantly use your power to speak out, in your own words, and open the eyes of those in power (Disney).

Has anyone here sent Disney an e-mail yet???

I am composing my third, food for thought...
    Frank V Bonura - STAR WARS Deckplans Alliance Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Kayle Skolaris View Post
    Oh, he's serious, alright. Seriously deluded. Frankie's gone off the deep end into pure nutcase zealot mode since I ended my association with him. He talks about Star Wars like it's a religion now. The EU is largely garbage and using Zahn's novels for the sequel trilogy would be stupidity of the worst sort. Very few Star Wars novels have ever been suited to screen adaptation. Zahn's novels are not among the lucky few.
    What do you considered in, Star Wars EU novels, are the lucky few suited for screen adaptation.
    Want to play Star Wars RPG PBEM? Then just go to www.starwars-chronicles.com

Star Wars Chronicles Fan Fiction projects:

Truce at Bakura - Finally in the works

Short Stories - Duel of Fates and Honour's 1st draft finished, currently under revision!

It's been too long since I read any of them for me to throw out any names.
    Suspenders of Disbelief: For When the Harsh Weight of Reality Threatens to Drag the Trousers of Our Imagination Down to the Unforgiving Floor of Mundanity!

The citizens do not need to know what the cost is. They only need know that the mission has been accomplished.

My sole regret, as I initiate the scuttling sequence that will send my fusion pile critical, is that I will not be present in .03 seconds. I would like to watch as the Enemy try to vent an omnidirectional thermonuclear explosion into their research facility. - Bolo Unit Maldon, Mk. XXX Continental Seige Unit of the 3rd Battalion, Dinochrome Brigade.

I've read a few I wanted to throw out...
    "Half the fun of God's forgiveness is having reasons to ask for it."

Lightbulb Deep Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by boccelounge View Post
    I might also note that I've learned, over many, many years of beating my head against immovable walls, that sometimes walls are just immovable, and there's no sense beating your head against them.
    I have been thinking a great deal about this statement all day Bocce. Thank you bro. I realize I too have been beating my head against a heavy wall for 13+ years. I took a moment today to take a long hard look at that heavy wall and was surprised to find it shifted from its foundation and had many cracks. Let me clarify:

Way back in good old 1996, I worked with Dr. Robert B. K. Brown and Professor Curtis Saxton on their respective STAR WARS commentary sites. Back then if you criticized George Lucas and or STAR WARS, in any way, you got a quality napalm bath from the STAR WARS Fans of the day. The only thanks we got for all our troubles was a thank you acknowledgement in A. C. Crispin's "Rebel Dawn" because she actually used our research in her trilogy. Back in 1996 that heavy wall was spotless, solid, and firmly resting on its foundation.

Today Disney owns STAR WARS, I walked into this thread, trashed George, trashed the Prequels, and I don't even feel warm. To be honest, it's a slight bit cold in here, no offense please.

So what happened Bocce??? It appears some heavy walls will move if you beat on them, with your head, for a decade and a half. The very people who defended George and defended the Prequels are now very hard to find today. Sadly many are gone for good and Disney will have to work a theatrical miracle to get them back.

I honestly think pretentious fanboys like myself (guilty as charged) wore the old man down. I think that is why he gave most of the 4 billion away. He was exhausted and could not walk around in public without encountering a critic. Now he can say to these critics, "I don't own STAR WARS any more, take it up with Disney."

If a wall is made by a man, it can be breached by a man. Disney is a new wall. Maybe this time around, we can fabricate a door in the wall, and get them to work with us. Food for thought Bocce and thanks for something to think about today bro...

Quote Originally Posted by Grade View Post
    What do you considered in, Star Wars EU novels, are the lucky few suited for screen adaptation.
    Personally I think the Rogue Novels have a lot to offer, the only tough bit is re-creating Classic Movie Characters like Wedge, Janson, Ackbar & the Inner Council. Largely new characters in a familiar-yet-expanded setting.

Frank, I recall the prequel-production thread started by a Guest Account on killing Jedi. I recall some pretty fantastic & difficult methods being posted, then I mentioned it's fairly easy to go with multiple-direction blaster fire. The thread sort of dwindling, then BAM! AotC comes up with "swarming fire" and zero mention of the Holonet nor the people who worked out the most plausible method for Order 66.

If I hadn't spoke up I wonder what they would've done. Every Clone Commander being shipped a large crate of Vornskrs?
    First Law of GMing: Semper Gumby
    Show me someone who has never said "It's good to be Evil", I'll show you someone who's never GM'd.

Wisdom is a lot like the Blues. You have to suffer to get it right.

Talking Of course they are listening in on us...

Quote Originally Posted by Vanger Chevane View Post
    Frank, I recall the prequel-production thread started by a Guest Account on killing Jedi. I recall some pretty fantastic & difficult methods being posted, then I mentioned it's fairly easy to go with multiple-direction blaster fire. The thread sort of dwindling, then BAM! AotC comes up with "swarming fire" and zero mention of the Holonet nor the people who worked out the most plausible method for Order 66.
    Wow, I think I vaguely recall that. Don't feel too bad Vanger, remember Brandon Koller? He made up a blue-skinned, Red-eyed Duros with a cowboy hat and trench coat. He used him in my SWRPG campaign back in 2001-02. Brandon made the mistake of sharing his outstanding character sketches online. Fast forward to 2009, [drum-roll] enter Cad Bane. Clearly somebody liked the look of Brandon's PC at LFL. Likewise do you think Jar Jar's diminished role/appearance in Ep2 and 3 was a coincidence after the caustic fan fallout of 1999???

Quote Originally Posted by Vanger Chevane View Post
    If I hadn't spoke up I wonder what they would've done. Every Clone Commander being shipped a large crate of Vornskrs?
    Maybe they would have had to use the correct solution, Mandalorian Shock Troopers.

People like author Ann C. Crispin watch this forum for ideas. She admits it in the front of "Rebel Dawn", so why not George or any other STAR WARS writer???

I think this time around we will do Disney and ourselves a huge favor being part of the solution instead of being just a bunch of grumbling spectators.

So far my idea of sending Disney some well-worded e-mails from all of us has had a rather lackluster response in this thread. Sadly I have seen more of the same in several other forums/blogs that I have been pestering the past two months. So am I wrong to even suggest that this esteemed body of fans has something to contribute to STAR WARS? By helping Disney, you will help yourselves to a better galaxy. Think about it please...

Jedi Master, Scholar, and Keeper of the True Light

I like OT. I like NT more. I've read perhaps 10-20 Star Wars novels and the six novelizations on top of that. I don't know why reading the novels should stop a person from liking the prequels. And I can't recall any apparent contradictions that can't easily be solved. Such as R2 flying, those rockets were obviously removed or permanently malfunctioned or whatever in the 19 years between 3 and 4. Thus no contradiction.
    "Faith Manages." - Ambassador Delenn
    Potentate of the Rose

Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Default Happy New Year

Obi-Wan Kenobi: The truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Yes, all of the apparent contradictions between trilogies can and were easily resolved, so the issue at hand is more a matter of each individual fan's acceptance (or lackthereof) of the resolutions. In my experience, many disgruntled prequel-haters choose not to even consider the resolutions because it is easier for them to maintain their hatred if all of their intitial criticisms remain intact in their minds.

Qui-Gon: Your focus determines your reality.

And it is obvious that some fans disagree, but I feel it is possible for Disney-Lucasfilm to make new Star Wars films that do not outright contradict the prequels, but at the same time do not refer to them much either. Just because Joe Average-Fan can't imagine how that is possible doesn't mean that professional movie-makers can't devise it. But it is inevitable that many of the same fans that are still disgruntled about the prequels retconning the previously established EU are just going to be even more upset that the new films are disregarding the EU.

Anyway, here are some updates.

Disney Completes Acquisition Of Lucasfilm

It's official. The value of the transaction was $4.06 billion total to George Lucas.

Current Star Trek director was offered Star Wars VII early on but declined

J.J. Abrams turned down the opportunity to direct the new Star Wars film due to his commitment to Star Trek.

Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy seemed to imply she'll have more information to share in the new year

Personally, my dislike for the prequels comes more from the bad acting, dialogue, and overuse of SFX to the detriment of the story. If I could hop into my handy- dandy TARDIS and play at being Timelord Triumphant for a bit, I'd put the prequels in the hands of Guillermo Del Toro or maybe even Peter Jackson. They're both far better at making the SFX serve the story rather than the other way around.
    Suspenders of Disbelief: For When the Harsh Weight of Reality Threatens to Drag the Trousers of Our Imagination Down to the Unforgiving Floor of Mundanity!

The citizens do not need to know what the cost is. They only need know that the mission has been accomplished.

My sole regret, as I initiate the scuttling sequence that will send my fusion pile critical, is that I will not be present in .03 seconds. I would like to watch as the Enemy try to vent an omnidirectional thermonuclear explosion into their research facility. - Bolo Unit Maldon, Mk. XXX Continental Seige Unit of the 3rd Battalion, Dinochrome Brigade.

D6 Forever!

I, for one, am very happy that JJ Abrams declined to work on the new Star Wars films. He would NOT steer the new movies in a direction I would want to see.
    facta, non verba

Quote Originally Posted by grimace View Post
    i, for one, am very happy that jj abrams declined to work on the new star wars films. He would not steer the new movies in a direction i would want to see.
    Lens flares!!! Lens flares everywhere!!!

Oh and Grimmy, shouldn't this thread be moved back out of Rumors now that it has been confirmed?
    Last edited by Kayle Skolaris; 2 January 2013 at 06:04 AM.

D6 Forever!

Nah, I think we're still into speculating what the new movies are going to be about.
    facta, non verba

Thread Information