Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disney Bought Lucasfilms

Post Disney Bought Lucasfilms

Stoic_75: Hello, it's your man on the street here at Disney studios where they are about to announce a new merger. Let's listen...

Michael Eisner: We are pleased to announce a merger a long time coming. Disney has now joined forces with Lucasfilm to produce the greatest family films ever made. Right George?

Lucas: That's correct Michael. It's going to be great. What until you see our new reissue of 'Bambi". The part where Bambi's mother gets shot always bothered me. Way too violent. So we digitally corrected it. Hmm, yes? A question from the back.

Stoic_75: (raising hand) Huh? Digitally corrected?

Lucas: Yes. In the new rerelease, the hunter's hand shakes and he misses wide right. And then the hunter and Bambi's mother become friends. I think that's more upbeat and kid-friendly.

Eisner: And you're going to love the changes we made to the original trilogy. Luke Mousewalker, Princess Minnie and let's not forget Goofbacca!

Stoic_75: ....mumbles something incoherent

Eisner: I'm sorry, I didn't catch that.

Stoic_75: Don't mind me. I'm just trying to find the hollow tooth with the poison in it.

Eisner: Oh come on, you'll ...waitaminut? Stoic_75? Aren't you the guy who caused that incident at the "Pocahontas" premier? Security!

Several bruisers wearing mouse ears and carrying truncheons enter the room.

Stoic_75: It was historically inaccurate! Oh @#?!# (takes off running)
    Well that's all the time we have for today, join us next time as I,
    Oooof!

Jedi Dropout

Man, you need to include a warning before posting something like that, I about cracked a rib trying to keep from laughing at work over the "hollow tooth" deal.

Too hillarious.
    "Tedium and drudgery are good for the soul." - Boober Fraggle

D6 Utilities and Fan Books

I for Underachiever

Gotta say that's the funniest thing i've read in a few months

Skilled Player

I'm still cracking up at that... too funny. That was the funniest thing I've ever read on this forum since I've joined!
    "I've Outrun Imperial starships, not the local bulk frieghters, mind you. I'm talking about the big Corellian ships now." - Han Solo, one of the greatest smugglers in the galaxy

New Player

Talking

Here, here. Good form!
    There is no problem in the galaxy that cannot be solved by the proper application of naked, merciless force.

Talking Merci

Of course it's all farce; it would never happen in real life. Lucas and Disney always put out quality products. Oh, how I likes that Jar-Jar.

Originally posted by IzVenjari
    Gotta say that's the funniest thing i've read in a few months

Sith Chick, 1ST HotShot Quiz Centurion, and Master Lurker
    Searching for warmth in the cold darkness of Lurkerdom ...

Ok, superlurker here ... but I go away from all civilization for almost a week, read the Ep3 novelization, come back here to see what others think and you decide to almost give me a heartattack!!??

(golf clap) Good show old chap! Good show indeed!
    "Anger, Fear, Agression. The dark side are they!"
    Vixen~of~Venus
    "A woman with a lightsaber!! Run boys! RUN!!!"
    "Roll for initiative Monkeyboy!!"

Immoderator

Default Not Sure if Want

I awoke
    Only to find my lungs empty
    And through the night
    So it seems I'm not breathing
    And now my dreams are nothing like they were meant to be - Dallas Green (City and Colour), Sleeping Sickness

Default Disney Bought LucasArts!!!

"Choke on that, causality!"

Drunken Spacer

too soon it is to know if this could be good, possibly clouded by the dark side the future is
    Strong Men Die While Wise Men Ponder

If I don't return from this life of a soldier don't you be crying for me

"I know" -the greatest line Han Solo has
    PS: Han shot first.

Another "new" movie? C'mon...
    Uron's game Archive
    ├ L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers. - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    Potentate of the Rose

In the most wretched hive of scum and villany...Washington, DC.

Default Disney Buying Lucasfilm? Some good, some bad

I can see a lot of good and bad coming out of this.

On the one hand, Disney has a lot of resources and they can really put the money behind the film. Since they are making their new films to be post-ROTJ, I believe, that would also force a reboot of the Expanded Universe. This, in my mind, would be a very good thing, since right now the EU is hopelessly screwed up. The last decade has shown that LFL has gone off the rails, and George Lucas hasn't been paying attention to what you could colorfully call "desecration" of his sacred tale. I, for one, would welcome such a reboot.

Also, I have heard many people say in many places that the biggest problem for Star Wars was Lucas himself. This would effectively get Lucas out of the way, reducing him to a "mere" creative consultant. That might please some folks, who were understandably upset with the atrocious dialogue and storylines of the prequels.

On the other hand, Disney could dumb down Star Wars even more to appeal to children and use as merchandising for more Disneyland rides. Leia as a Disney Princess. Talking animals telling us the power of friendship. Finding Solo. None of these are really Star Wars. (Ok, except the last one.) I don't terribly fear this, since SW has been damaged a lot already, but it is a concern. Of course, they may not do that, but still take it in a bizarre direction anyways. It depends who they choose to do the films. Joss Whedon? He could probably pull it off and make it awesome. But Zac Snyder? Christopher Nolan? del Toro? Ewwww......those would be ruinous choices. And since this is three years away, we just have no idea at this point.

Perhaps the best thing for us to do is to be cautious optimistic. There is a good chance they will suck, but there is also a good chance they won't. Perhaps, if we just accept that it will not be the same Star Wars we first saw in 1977 (well, you, I'm a bit young), but something slightly different, we will accept it more. I think that's probably the best course of action to take right now, and just look on and trust in the Force that Disney won't screw it up too badly.

EDIT: [shamelessplug] Also, a blog post of mine that explores this topic further: http://jdkolassa.net/?p=945 [/shamelessplug]
    Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has at least two, and they usually stink.

Please, visit my blog. It's lonely. And while you're at it, leave a comment too.

I can't decide if this is good news or bad news yet.

Much as I love the original trilogy, the prequels were a letdown for me and the "special editions" were an abomination, leaving me questioning George's ability to tell a good story anymore. Indy 4 only made those doubts run deeper.

As I float around the net, I've noticed a lot of sites and fans are already treating this like the death toll for Star Wars, making comments about how it will be dumbed down and Mickey Mouse'd to death. In truth, I think Lucas has been toning it down for years, though I'm not sure all of it was intentional, and I don't think Disney can do any worse. In fact, I think Disney gives us a small sliver of hope on the horizon.

Anyone here enjoy Avengers? Iron Man? Captain America? Thor? I was initially very skeptical of Disney purchasing Marvel comics, but so far that has turned out exceptionally well; Avengers was, to me, the defining comic movie us geeks have been waiting on. If Disney can handle all the Marvel properties so well, maybe they can revitalize Star Wars and make it epic once again. The fact that they're keeping Lucas around as a creative consultant is a good thing as well; he did create Star Wars and has some great ideas, but his ability to tell the tale of those ideas is lacking anymore.

It's too early to fret about the future of Star Wars; I think right now it's best if everyone adopts a "wait and see" attitude and tries to remain optimistic.

I really hope they try to do something new. . . I honestly would love to see an EU film which introduces new protagonists and keeps the original cast around as supporting characters. Or a Revan film. Or a completely new Old Republic film. Really, I just want them to try to chart new territory.
    Utulie'n aure! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatari, utulie'n aure!

Immoderator

Threads merged and placed in the appropriate forum (for now).

Thread Information