Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Disney Bought Lucasfilms

Blog Entries

I, for one, am actually quite excited. I love Disney, and they've done right by Marvel and Muppets and Pixar, I'm sure they'll do right by LFL and Star Wars. I'm even excited about the possibility of movies, since all-new stories are SO much easier to tell than prequels, which have all kinds of restrictions on them.

Of course, in three years, everyone may be mocking this optimism. We'll see...
    Rodney "Moridin" Thompson
    Game Designer
    Webmaster, SWRPGNetwork
    Follow me on Twitter: @AntarianRanger

I for Underachiever

Count me as another who's pretty happy with the news.

Dark Lord, and the Fourth Centurion, of the HotShot Quiz
    Roaming the Tombs of the Sith Lords on Korriban

This news got me brainstorming about new characters for the franchise:

--Jedi Padawan Bam Bee, saved by Master Skywalker after Bam's mother was killed in an Imperial Remnant attack
    --P1N-0K0, plucky protocol droid who dreams of being a real human

not to mention

--the evil Imperial Captain Huuk
    Last edited by Darth Fierce; 1 November 2012 at 04:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fingon View Post
    Darth Fierce! You're alive! Good to see you again, man.

Here are a few things the internets have created for us on the tropic.
    Yes, I've been exploring the Unknown Regions (e.g. life beyond Star Wars and work), but I wanted to drop back by for a while. I'm glad the site is still up and running.
    Currently Working On:
    --The Holonet Alien Anthology
    --The Friends and Foes Compendium
    In loving memory of P.C., we who knew you will never forget you...

All knowing, all seeing eye of Star Wars
    Out in the Unknown Regions of my mind....

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Fierce View Post
    This news got me brainstorming about new characters for the franchise:

--Jedi Padawan Bam Bee, saved by Master Skywalker after Bam's mother was killed in an Imperial Remnant attack
    --P1N-0K0, plucky protocol droid who dreams of being a real human

not to mention

--the evil Imperial Captain Huuk
    That's just wrong on so many levels!
    "You don't know the Power of a Darkside!" - Darth Vader to Luke (Episode V)

Co-author of the Rise of the Empire Infinities Sourcebook: http://submissions.swrpgnetwork.com/entry.php?id=1865
    Co-Author of the Rebellion Era Infinities Sourcebook: http://www.swrpgnetwork.com/entry.php?id=1867
    Co-Author of The Legacy of the Force Sourcebook: http://www.mediafire.com/file/e515z0...Version%5D.pdf

Jedi Master, Scholar, and Keeper of the True Light

Quote Originally Posted by stoic_75 View Post
    This little piece of satire backfired quite nicely, didn't it?

Me and my big mouth.
    At least you called it publicly.

The last thing I called was Bin Laden being killed by a military force, but I never brought my prediction up in public.

I'm looking forward to see what will happen with Star Wars now.
    "Faith Manages." - Ambassador Delenn
    Potentate of the Rose

I'm wondering...how much of the established post-Endor EU do people think will be destroyed/need to be retconned with the new films? Hands up if you think the answer is "A lot!"

IMHO if they pick up the films following right after Endor and want to stay true to the established EU, it would make sense that the next film be about Bakura. However, I don't think that's a movie many people outside the die-hard fans would pay money to see.

And correct me if I'm reading this wrong, but is the plan put forth by Disney to make Episodes VII-IX and then produce a Star Wars film every one or two years afterwards?
    Currently Working On:

All knowing, all seeing eye of Star Wars
    Out in the Unknown Regions of my mind....

I'm wondering...how much of the established post-Endor EU do people think will be destroyed/need to be retconned with the new films? Hands up if you think the answer is "A lot!"

IMHO if they pick up the films following right after Endor and want to stay true to the established EU, it would make sense that the next film be about Bakura. However, I don't think that's a movie many people outside the die-hard fans would pay money to see.

And correct me if I'm reading this wrong, but is the plan put forth by Disney to make Episodes VII-IX and then produce a Star Wars film every one or two years afterwards?
    A Bakura movie would be a travesty, IMO. As Lucas mentioned, it's an all-new, original storyline.
    "You don't know the Power of a Darkside!" - Darth Vader to Luke (Episode V)

Co-author of the Rise of the Empire Infinities Sourcebook: http://submissions.swrpgnetwork.com/entry.php?id=1865
    Co-Author of the Rebellion Era Infinities Sourcebook: http://www.swrpgnetwork.com/entry.php?id=1867
    Co-Author of The Legacy of the Force Sourcebook: http://www.mediafire.com/file/e515z0...Version%5D.pdf

D6 Forever!

I, for one, hope that the Disney writers ditch a sizable portion of the post-Endor EU and come up with something new. New minds, hopefully fresh, new ideas, and new direction. For those that want to stick solely with "canon", let them have an aneurism attempting to figure out how to retcon it. For those of us that don't give a fig about sticking with "canon", let Disney wipe the slate clean and start with interesting new ideas!
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.
    facta, non verba

Delivering my report to Grand Admiral Thrawn

Not gonna lie, I may be in the minority but I'm actually very excited about this. I flat-out would not have paid money for any more Star Wars movies if Lucas had remained in control. Such was my disappointment with the prequels and the various monkeying around he did with the originals. And an excellent argument was made for bringing back Mark Hamill, which would be awesome and which I agree with wholeheartedly. But in the meantime, I'll rely on others to do my speculating for me, so carry on chaps!!
    "When I throw someone into a bulkhead and toss him on the deck, that's me saying he should get his carcass off my ship." - Booster Terrik

Quote Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
    I, for one, hope that the Disney writers ditch a sizable portion of the post-Endor EU and come up with something new. New minds, hopefully fresh, new ideas, and new direction. For those that want to stick solely with "canon", let them have an aneurism attempting to figure out how to retcon it. For those of us that don't give a fig about sticking with "canon", let Disney wipe the slate clean and start with interesting new ideas!
    Truthfully I could do without a good deal of the post-Endor EU too, including the god-awful KJA take on the franchise, but depending on when they set the new movies it would be nice if there was some passing reference to various stories. For example, considering the fact that the new movies would probably be set several years after the original trilogy, it'd be nice to hear some references to the Thrawn Trilogy. Just don't throw the entire baby out with the bathwater is what I'm saying.
    Currently Working On:

Quote Originally Posted by Treefrog View Post
    A Bakura movie would be a travesty, IMO. As Lucas mentioned, it's an all-new, original storyline.
    You think??? Oh come on, entechment...Ssi-Ruuk...who wouldn't love that??? Kidding, of course.
    Currently Working On:

Delivering my report to Grand Admiral Thrawn

You think??? Oh come on, entechment...Ssi-Ruuk...who wouldn't love that??? Kidding, of course.
    Ugh. Just... ugh. I read the first fifth of that book and nearly threw it away. Luckily, it was a library book, so I could throw it in the return bin with gusto.
    "When I throw someone into a bulkhead and toss him on the deck, that's me saying he should get his carcass off my ship." - Booster Terrik

Sky Pilot

How many people here thought the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie totally blew the SW prequels out of the water? If Disney brings that sense of fun and adventure to new SW films, they just might recapture the magic of the OT.
    <<<<<

They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles... Isaiah 40:31

Well, I'm psyched. And for those of you concerned for the EU, do bear in mind how little attention Lucas pays to it anyway. Oh sure, he may have embraced Coruscant, but he rather coldly rejected everything else Zahn came up with.

*idle thought* you know, the Tesseract looks an awful lot like a Holocron...
    Suspenders of Disbelief: For When the Harsh Weight of Reality Threatens to Drag the Trousers of Our Imagination Down to the Unforgiving Floor of Mundanity!

The citizens do not need to know what the cost is. They only need know that the mission has been accomplished.

My sole regret, as I initiate the scuttling sequence that will send my fusion pile critical, is that I will not be present in .03 seconds. I would like to watch as the Enemy try to vent an omnidirectional thermonuclear explosion into their research facility. - Bolo Unit Maldon, Mk. XXX Continental Seige Unit of the 3rd Battalion, Dinochrome Brigade.

Thread Information