Thread: So, The Hobbit

Default So, The Hobbit

Thoughts?

I went in with rather low expectations, and ended up loving the movie. There were a few times when the silliness became a bit too much, or the action just a bit gratuitous, but other than that I enjoyed almost the entire thing.
    Utulie'n aure! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatari, utulie'n aure!

D6 Forever!

While I enjoyed it, it really felt overly gratuitous.

WARNING: SPOILERS!!!

DO NOT KEEP READING IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE SHOW!

I understand the song was powerful, and was replicated in the music several times during the rest of the movie, but it felt tacked on. It was like "oh yeah...here's a song too!"

The rock giants, while impressive, were completely and totally irrelevant. I heard, though I don't have any proof, that the reason they didn't include Tom Bombadill in LotR was because it was gratuitous and didn't add much to the story. I wish they would have done that for the rock giants.

The "goblin run" was rather convoluted and confusing. And what happened to the goblins after the group made it to the outside? It was like the goblins stopped well short of chasing them out.

The somewhat awkward attempts to "foreshadow" the rise of Sauron. I guess it would be pretty impressive if you hadn't seen the LotR, but for anyone that's seen those movies, it just seems like a gratuitous addition that fell kind of flat.

And finally, the "you're no good, you shouldn't have come along" was getting old.

As for what I liked:
    I liked the wargs.
    I loved the giant eagles
    I greatly enjoyed Balin and Bofur (by far the best of the dwarves in my opinion)
    The vistas! Oh my, the vistas! Gotta love New Zealand.
    I enjoyed the new places they've got. It's good to be away from Mordor and that area.
    "They have Wargs, they will catch you!" "These are rhosgobel rabbits....I'd like to see them try!" *Awesome*

All in all, it was a good, entertaining movie. I don't feel like I really missed anything by not seeing it in 3D and not seeing in 48 FPS (and paying an arm and a leg to see it that way). I think it's rather silly to stretch this into 3 movies, and I have a feeling we'll have a LOT more gratuitous excess in the next two movies.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.
    facta, non verba

I agree with you on most of those point, actually. However, I don't think you can view this film as the same as the Lord of the Rings films any more than you can view the books as the same entity. For what it's worth, the rock giants, goblins not following into sunlight, and the necromancer were all in the book, though they were each rather minor points.

I actually wrote a blogpost about this; how I saw it, the point of the Hobbit is showing that the journeys and adventures we go on are what make life worth living. The destination is not what ultimately matters, but rather how you got there. And in that sense, the embellishments and exaggerations are a fundamental part of what make the story (this is Bilbo penning his own history, after all).

That said, I wish they had toned down the Goblin King and the White Orc. They were a little more overdone than I enjoyed. And that the whole "shadow from the east" thing was a little more subtle.

Sky Pilot

I agree with almost all those points, so I'll move on to a new one: I liked that the dwarves were very distinct in appearance and personality (mostly). The only one I haven't got a feel for is Nori. Does anyone remember anything distinctive that he said or did?
    <<<<<

They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles... Isaiah 40:31

He's the one who noticed Bilbo slipping away in Goblin Town. Other than that, though, he didn't do much more than smack some goblins.

I actually thought it was quite a feat getting as much individuality out of the dwarves as they managed to.

My main issues with this film, which I really liked by the way, was: The rock giants looked crap and the whole scene was pointless. Radagast was too much in ways of comic relief and the Eagles didn't talk. Now the two last are minor issues, I guess all three really. All in all the film was enjoyable, the shortest 2 hours 49 minutes I've experienced so far.
    "What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Jegergryte's Cubicle

My home made supplements.

Sky Pilot

Fingon, yeah, he was there and doing things, but nothing that gave any hints about his personality. Maybe I'll notice something else next time I see it.

So far, I'm one of two people I know who thought the giants looked like Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots. Anybody else?
    <<<<<

They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles... Isaiah 40:31

This was one of these rare occasions where the movie could have gone for a couple of hours more and I would have been amused till the end. I can't wait for the second part. BTW, I really loved Watson... err... Martin Freeman as Bilbo.
    Uron's game Archive
    ├ L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers. - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    Potentate of the Rose

Sky Pilot

Yes, his comic timing, facial expressions, and body language were excellent. And the way he flailed about with Sting made me wince! I'm surprised he didn't hurt himself with his own sword. I've trained with swords since '84, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone look so hopelessly out of control with a blade. Which is exactly right for Bilbo.
    <<<<<

Registered User Donovan Morningfire's Avatar
    Exactly where I need to be when I need to be there

I found this movie to be pretty enjoyable, and I'm a long-time Tolkien fan (read the Hobbit on my own when I was 7, and Lord of the Rings only a few years later). Much like the LotR films, I figured Peter Jackson was going to take some liberties. The Stone Giant scene I agree could have been axed, but at least it served at least some purpose to further highlight how dangerous the journey just getting to the edge of the Wilderlands was, and how insignificant Thorn & Company really were. The Sauron/Necromancer angle did feel a bit "tacked on," but then it's a tale from the Appendices, woven into the Hobbit's narrative, and likely there for film-goers that haven't read the books to explain why Gandalf abandons the Company once they've made it past the Misty Mountains.

Like Sarge, I think they did a good job of displaying just how out of his element Bilbo was, and I figure a lot of folks with no actual martial training and no frame of reference would be flailing around about as much. We gamers might do a bit better, given the films we've seen over the years, but probably not much without some actual training. I figure one thing we'll see in the second movie is some of the dwarves, perhaps even Thorin himself, give Bilbo some much needed lessons in swordplay.

I didn't particularly care for Gollum, as he seemed too whimsical and not really all that creepy, as opposed to the RankinBass version who was quite creepy (especially if you were a youngster when you first saw it). Not saying Andy Serkis did a crap job, because he did a great job with the character as it was written, but I kind of preferred Gollum as being more a sinister creature than one to be out-and-out pitied like Film!Gollum.

Martin Freeman pretty much nailed young Bilbo, and I continue to hold to the belief that Peter Jackson actually found Gandalf the Grey and convinced him to play himself in the movies, with Ian McKellan being given a screen credit to ensure the Grey Pilgrim could continue his mission without being hassled by people looking for autographs when there's balrogs that can't be allowed to pass
    Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog at http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/
    "You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"
    - Luke Skybrewer, A New Hops

Thread Information