Thread: Gray Jedi class/PRC

Default Gray Jedi class/PRC

How would I go about making a Gray Jedi character? are there any templates or stats online that anyone knows of, I've searched and can't find any.

Registered User Donovan Morningfire's Avatar
    Exactly where I need to be when I need to be there

Short version: They're no different than any other type of Jedi, aside from the cheese factor of trying to excuse/justify using dark side Force powers without racking up Dark Side Points.

Longer version: Mechanically, a so-called "Grey Jedi" is no different than any other Jedi, as they use the same Jedi classes as a regular Jedi, and would generally have access to the same feats, talents, skills, powers, and prestige classes as any other Jedi. There's also never been an exception to allow a so-called "grey" Jedi to be able to use dark side powers and effects without falling to the dark side, and generally with a damn good reason. In the majority of the d20 games, especially Saga Edition, those dark side powers are incredibly powerful, with things like Dark Rage and Force Lightning being some really devastating powers, and those are in the corebook. Having a character earn a Dark Side Point each time those powers are used keeps them from being utterly broken. If you really want a "grey" Jedi, then simply buck up and accept the Dark Side Point cost of using those kinds of abilities, and then spending your Force Points to "atone" to keep from going fully dark side.

As a GM, I'd never let this fly, as I find the whole concept of "grey Jedi" who get to use the dark side but not succumb to it to be nothing more than meta-gamey munchkinism at its cheesiest, and generally find the idea of "grey Jedi" to be laughable at best. After all, Jacen Solo was a "grey Jedi" and look where he ended up thanks to Vergere's twisted teachings.
    Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog at http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/
    "You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"
    - Luke Skybrewer, A New Hops

Blog Entries

I'm inclined to agree with Donovan inthe sense that, mechanically, there is not really a necessity for such a thing. I think the Grey Jedi concept was touched on in the Power of the Jedi supplement to some extent or another in a sidebar. But depending upon what you mean by Grey Jedi, I think there is a lot you can do as a GM to make the concept workable as envisioned if the player can pull it off.

As a player, being Grey means accepting a certain amount of Dark Side Pointage for shady-but-well intentioned behavior. This can make the character interesting, and provides a mechanical balance for the increased power. But there is that price that requires a lot of careful thought and management from the player... which is good, and interesting from a storytelling perspective. Toeing the line without falling in is hard, and takes a lot from a player and GM, or an understanding that the Jedi may fall. Depending upon the game and group, that could be incredibly rewarding or destructive.

There is a lot of moral gray in the SW universe, but I think the Prequel Trilogy drives home the point that the road to Hell is paved with such good intentions.

On the other hand, if you're just looking to bada$$ around (which is undeniably fun), then there is a game that can accommodate that if everyone is on board. But being the guy that uses force lightning and walks around like he's still got moral authority will generally rub otherwise unprepared groups the wrong way.

My 2 credits :shrug:
    Last edited by Rostek; 24 February 2013 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Further deep thoughts... and a grevious spelling error needed correcting
    I desire what is good. Therefore, everyone who does not agree with me is a traitor-- King George III
    "The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." -- W. Somerset Maugham
    Check out Run to the Rim (NEW! Updated 1/24/08!)
    and
    Old Friends, New Republic (Updated 12/27/07)

The only reason I ask is I'm writing a campaign that's set 250 years after the Legacy era and the Jedi have been forced to split into two separate factions, one led by the Jedi proper and the other is a more militaristic faction led by the Grey Jedi. Also, none of the players are playing Jedi characters the so all force users in my campaign are going to be NPC's.

Blog Entries

Sounds neat-- not my cup of tea, era-wise, but a lot room to explore and be creative, so thumbs up to you. In that case, just follow standard progression for Jedi or Dark Jedi and give them what powers you deep appropriate. I'd avoid Rage, but everything else is (somewhat) less clear-cut, in my opinion.

Keep us updated on your progress, man. It's nice to have new blood around
    I desire what is good. Therefore, everyone who does not agree with me is a traitor-- King George III
    "The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." -- W. Somerset Maugham
    Check out Run to the Rim (NEW! Updated 1/24/08!)
    and
    Old Friends, New Republic (Updated 12/27/07)

Thread Information