Thread: What speed was luke going at in the trench run?

Veteran Player

Default What speed was luke going at in the trench run?

I ask, cause over on Rancor's pit we are discussing force points, and whether the example given in concentration where luke uses it on his to hit shot for that proton torp was correct or incorrect.
    You cannot dodge it if you don't know it is coming, and you cannot shoot at what you don't know is there!

Just prior to the run, Luke tells Biggs & Wedge "go in full throttle". Presumably he'd have the X-Wing's throttle firewalled - somewhere around the max speed for the model & level of maintenance at the time, say 80-95% of the statted max speed.

I wouldn't put the FP into Concentration, what we see in the Movie is more akin to Force Pilot or Force Aim IMHO. Red Leader was concentrating with a lot more skill & experience, missing just before Vader took off to upper Starboard S-foil.
    First Law of GMing: Semper Gumby
    Show me someone who has never said "It's good to be Evil", I'll show you someone who's never GM'd.

Wisdom is a lot like the Blues. You have to suffer to get it right.

D6 Forever!

I'd say he's going fast, but not full speed.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.
    facta, non verba

D6 Forever!

I'd say he's going fast, but not full speed.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.
    facta, non verba

Sky Pilot

I imagine he was going full out while Vader was on his tail, but after the Millenium Falcon blew the TIEs away, he probably throttled back to give himself an extra moment or two to line up his shot.
    <<<<<

They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles... Isaiah 40:31

In my own little world where even the sun is sad.

I did some math a long time ago, worked out to about mach 2 (if I remember correctly, which is questionable), based on several large assumptions.

First, the exhaust port is "...2 metres across...", so we know meters are used as a system of measurement.

The targeters on the X & Y wings have a range counter at the bottom. It doesn't seem to have a decimal, so (I'm assuming here) the units would be in meters (anything larger or smaller would be awkward). The range it ticking down two fast for the smallest placeholders, but the middle ticks at a workable pace, and would represent hundreds of meters.

Youtube clip shows what I'm talking about. I've linked it a few seconds before the shot I'm talking about so you won't miss it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...ahaEL7s#t=462s

When I did this originally, my time measurements were very rough, and the linked shot is not from Luke's cockpit. The 100s of meters per second (approx.) worked out to about mach 2.

If any one has a more precise way of measuring (via video editing software, which I lack), they could get a better estimate.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowering Your Quality of Life since 1971

"I'm an awful human being."

"Marriage should be simple. Do you want to marry her? Do you want to marry him? Good, you're married, now jump in the Volcano."
    -Chris B.

In my own little world where even the sun is sad.

I did some math a long time ago, worked out to about mach 2 (if I remember correctly, which is questionable), based on several large assumptions.

First, the exhaust port is "...2 metres across...", so we know meters are used as a system of measurement.

The targeters on the X & Y wings have a range counter at the bottom. It doesn't seem to have a decimal, so (I'm assuming here) the units would be in meters (anything larger or smaller would be awkward). The range it ticking down two fast for the smallest placeholders, but the middle ticks at a workable pace, and would represent hundreds of meters.

Youtube clip shows what I'm talking about. I've linked it a few seconds before the shot I'm talking about so you won't miss it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...ahaEL7s#t=462s

When I did this originally, my time measurements were very rough, and the linked shot is not from Luke's cockpit. The 100s of meters per second (approx.) worked out to about mach 2.

If any one has a more precise way of measuring (via video editing software, which I lack), they could get a better estimate.
    Lowering Your Quality of Life since 1971

"I'm an awful human being."

"Marriage should be simple. Do you want to marry her? Do you want to marry him? Good, you're married, now jump in the Volcano."
    -Chris B.

Veteran Player

I was thinking more of what speed in game terms was he going at.. Cruise, cautious, full or all out.. Cause that should have changed whether he could have concentrated on firing his torp, or not.
    You cannot dodge it if you don't know it is coming, and you cannot shoot at what you don't know is there!

Thread Information