Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 286 to 300 of 504

Thread: The Departed: Gauging Interest

  1. #286
    Registered User Ash DuQuennes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2000
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    Double check the stats on the Data Goggles (from Oan's Equipment List); from the Secrets of Naboo Sourcebook, you get +5 to all Astrogate, Repair, and Computer Use Checks, and +10 to all Pilot Checks.

    However... you also permanently lose 1d4 points of Intelligence, and 1d4 points of Wisdom as part of the cybernetic implant process necessary to utilize the data goggle.

    So...should I break out my dice?

    If so, IC Ash may want to...renegotiate...Oan's employment contract.

    And pay scale.


    ETA: to everyone, not just Vanger: remember that the Knowledge synergy bonuses to Craft and Repair Skills are based upon actual Skill Ranks, not total Skill modifier (Ranks + Attributes + Misc).

    The Craft synergy bonus to Repair is likewise based upon actual skill Ranks in Craft.


    Remember, the cascade is downwards:

    Knowledge (Technology) and/or Knowledge (Engineeing) can provide synergy bonuses to Craft and Repair checks.

    Craft (X) can provide a synergy bonus on Repair checks, provided you are repairing a class of items for which you have the appropriate Craft specialty. IC Ash gets it on Repair checks involving starfighters, due to having 12 ranks in Craft (Starfighter), but not for Repair checks involving computers, blasters, speeders, etc.

    Other Knowledge specialties will also provide synergy bonuses to other skills. For example:

    Knowledge (Alien Species) could provide synergy bonuses to Sense Motive, Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate checks.

    Knowledge (World Lore) and/or Knowledge (Wilderness Lore) and/or Knowledge (Geography) could provide bonuses to Survival, be it environment checks to survive, tracking, or land navigation checks.
    Last edited by Ash DuQuennes; 3 December 2014 at 03:44 PM.
    A. DuQuennes

    I am the one you warned me of.

  2. #287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ash DuQuennes View Post
    Double check the stats on the Data Goggles (from Oan's Equipment List); from the Secrets of Naboo Sourcebook, you get +5 to all Astrogate, Repair, and Computer Use Checks, and +10 to all Pilot Checks.

    However... you also permanently lose 1d4 points of Intelligence, and 1d4 points of Wisdom as part of the cybernetic implant process necessary to utilize the data goggle.

    So...should I break out my dice?

    If so, IC Ash may want to...renegotiate...Oan's employment contract.

    And pay scale.


    ETA: to everyone, not just Vanger: remember that the Knowledge synergy bonuses to Craft and Repair Skills are based upon actual Skill Ranks, not total Skill modifier (Ranks + Attributes + Misc).

    The Craft synergy bonus to Repair is likewise based upon actual skill Ranks in Craft.


    Remember, the cascade is downwards:

    Knowledge (Technology) and/or Knowledge (Engineeing) can provide synergy bonuses to Craft and Repair checks.

    Craft (X) can provide a synergy bonus on Repair checks, provided you are repairing a class of items for which you have the appropriate Craft specialty. IC Ash gets it on Repair checks involving starfighters, due to having 12 ranks in Craft (Starfighter), but not for Repair checks involving computers, blasters, speeders, etc.

    Other Knowledge specialties will also provide synergy bonuses to other skills. For example:

    Knowledge (Alien Species) could provide synergy bonuses to Sense Motive, Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate checks.

    Knowledge (World Lore) and/or Knowledge (Wilderness Lore) and/or Knowledge (Geography) could provide bonuses to Survival, be it environment checks to survive, tracking, or land navigation checks.
    Goggles implies ease of removal, not a Cybenetic Eye Overlay/ Implant. I was trying to fit things with his signature Data/Multi-Optic "glasses", hence only the +3 Equip bonus for Mastercraft.

    I'm not as familiar with the RPG library as a lot of ppl here are. Then there's FULONGAMER, Attorney-at-rules.


    I'll go & recaclulate.
    First Law of GMing: Semper Gumby
    Show me someone who has never said "It's good to be Evil", I'll show you someone who's never GM'd.

    Wisdom is a lot like the Blues. You have to suffer to get it right.

  3. #288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ash DuQuennes View Post
    Double check the stats on the Data Goggles (from Oan's Equipment List); from the Secrets of Naboo Sourcebook, you get +5 to all Astrogate, Repair, and Computer Use Checks, and +10 to all Pilot Checks.

    However... you also permanently lose 1d4 points of Intelligence, and 1d4 points of Wisdom as part of the cybernetic implant process necessary to utilize the data goggle.

    So...should I break out my dice?

    If so, IC Ash may want to...renegotiate...Oan's employment contract.

    And pay scale.


    ETA: to everyone, not just Vanger: remember that the Knowledge synergy bonuses to Craft and Repair Skills are based upon actual Skill Ranks, not total Skill modifier (Ranks + Attributes + Misc).

    The Craft synergy bonus to Repair is likewise based upon actual skill Ranks in Craft.


    Remember, the cascade is downwards:

    Knowledge (Technology) and/or Knowledge (Engineeing) can provide synergy bonuses to Craft and Repair checks.

    Craft (X) can provide a synergy bonus on Repair checks, provided you are repairing a class of items for which you have the appropriate Craft specialty. IC Ash gets it on Repair checks involving starfighters, due to having 12 ranks in Craft (Starfighter), but not for Repair checks involving computers, blasters, speeders, etc.

    Other Knowledge specialties will also provide synergy bonuses to other skills. For example:

    Knowledge (Alien Species) could provide synergy bonuses to Sense Motive, Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate checks.

    Knowledge (World Lore) and/or Knowledge (Wilderness Lore) and/or Knowledge (Geography) could provide bonuses to Survival, be it environment checks to survive, tracking, or land navigation checks.
    Goggles implies ease of removal, not a Cybernetic Ocular Overlay / Implant. I was trying to fit things with his signature Data/Multi-Optic "glasses", hence only the +3 Equip bonus for Mastercraft, and "feature" of being removable. The "glasses" are normally wireless-linked to his datapads, but can have the wireless turned off & be wire-linked for better security / stealth (especially on missions).

    Stats do not include equipment or situational bonuses. Ambidexterity basically negates off-hand penalties, but Dual-Wield is a separate Feat. Example: Oan has attacks at +11 & +6 with his DL-44's regardless which hand he uses, or if he alternates shooting hands on the same target (provided he has one in each hand).

    I'm not as familiar with the RPG library as a lot of ppl here are. Then there's FULONGAMER, Attorney-at-rules.


    I've gone & recalculated.
    Last edited by Vanger Chevane; 3 December 2014 at 08:09 PM.
    First Law of GMing: Semper Gumby
    Show me someone who has never said "It's good to be Evil", I'll show you someone who's never GM'd.

    Wisdom is a lot like the Blues. You have to suffer to get it right.

  4. #289
    Registered User Ash DuQuennes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2000
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanger Chevane View Post
    Goggles implies ease of removal, not a Cybernetic Ocular Overlay / Implant. I was trying to fit things with his signature Data/Multi-Optic "glasses", hence only the +3 Equip bonus for Mastercraft, and "feature" of being removable. The "glasses" are normally wireless-linked to his datapads, but can have the wireless turned off & be wire-linked for better security / stealth (especially on missions).
    Okay; data-goggles (not Neimoidian Data Goggles) approved. Don't be surprised if IC Ash doesn't at least try to figure out how to integrate them into a FireFly flight helmet at some point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanger Chevane View Post
    Stats do not include equipment or situational bonuses. Ambidexterity basically negates off-hand penalties, but Dual-Wield is a separate Feat. Example: Oan has attacks at +11 & +6 with his DL-44's regardless which hand he uses, or if he alternates shooting hands on the same target (provided he has one in each hand).

    I'm not as familiar with the RPG library as a lot of ppl here are. Then there's FULONGAMER, Attorney-at-rules.


    I've gone & recalculated.
    Fair 'nuff. I'm not trying to bust chops or otherwise nerf people here; just dotting "i's" and crossing "t's" as they come to my attention.
    A. DuQuennes

    I am the one you warned me of.

  5. #290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ash DuQuennes View Post
    Okay; data-goggles (not Neimoidian Data Goggles) approved. Don't be surprised if IC Ash doesn't at least try to figure out how to integrate them into a FireFly flight helmet at some point.
    That's going to be an interesting IC conversation... Going from HUD to HMD is mostly Capital & Training cost. The "older" jocks will have a steeper learning curve getting used to having info displayed "in their face" instead of "on the dash".


    Quote Originally Posted by Ash DuQuennes View Post
    Fair 'nuff. I'm not trying to bust chops or otherwise nerf people here; just dotting "i's" and crossing "t's" as they come to my attention.
    I understand, and took it that way. Most of the problem was trying to figure out what TBTCBN was doing & why, given I'm not as up on the rules as most ppl here. I'm pretty happy with how Oan turned out. He's not a really broad-based character, but very good at what he does.
    Last edited by Vanger Chevane; 6 December 2014 at 02:25 PM.
    First Law of GMing: Semper Gumby
    Show me someone who has never said "It's good to be Evil", I'll show you someone who's never GM'd.

    Wisdom is a lot like the Blues. You have to suffer to get it right.

  6. #291
    experienced groundpounder
    Join Date
    September 2005
    Location
    traverse city michigan
    Posts
    2,730

    Default

    Okay everyone, I'm almost ready. My only final exam is scheduled for Monday Morning, so once that's done there's no more studying until next semester. So, after about 10:30 (ish), I should be able to start reading the IC thread and catch up. Only 102 items on the study guide for the exam, which if it's anything like the Midterm, is only 50 questions long and then the essay section.
    Through darkness we travel, searching for the vibrant silence of light ahead. Though death may take us here, we push on until the evil in this land is vanquished.

  7. #292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gmjabreson View Post
    Okay everyone, I'm almost ready. My only final exam is scheduled for Monday Morning, so once that's done there's no more studying until next semester. So, after about 10:30 (ish), I should be able to start reading the IC thread and catch up. Only 102 items on the study guide for the exam, which if it's anything like the Midterm, is only 50 questions long and then the essay section.
    Good luck man.

    The IC is long enough already it may feel like studying for Finals. But it should be a lot more more entertaining.
    First Law of GMing: Semper Gumby
    Show me someone who has never said "It's good to be Evil", I'll show you someone who's never GM'd.

    Wisdom is a lot like the Blues. You have to suffer to get it right.

  8. #293
    Registered User Ash DuQuennes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2000
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanger Chevane View Post
    Good luck man.

    The IC is long enough already it may feel like studying for Finals. But it should be a lot more more entertaining.
    A couple of thoughts:

    1) I'm trying to create as richly a detailed Universe as possible, as seen through my IC eyes, in order to "back-fill as many Departures from typically accepted canon as possible;

    2) I'm also trying to give y'all as many "plot-hooks" for your various IC counterparts, as well.

    3) The whole Charros Incident was only a "three-day-wonder" in the newsfeeds on Coruscant, even if the political infogihting either "went underground" or "behind-closed-doors': it was maybe a 24-hour "blip" in various Sector news outlets. But, as will be seen in upcoming posts, it had an impact on the genesis of FireFly and my IC counterpart's decision to get out of NR service.

    4) A Word document (or equivalent) chock full o' notes is becoming necessary; navigating Wookiepedia is, too.
    A. DuQuennes

    I am the one you warned me of.

  9. #294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ash DuQuennes View Post
    A couple of thoughts:
    4) A Word document (or equivalent) chock full o' notes is becoming necessary; navigating Wookiepedia is, too.
    LOL, that's how I've been writing my posts, and why it's hard for me to organize it into full paragraphs.

    By all means, a rich universe is better than a sparse one. If it wasn't, we wouldn't keep referring to the EU & expect at some point (possibly not on this site) ppl arguing levels-of-canoninity Lucas versus Disney Extended Universes - LEU vs DEU.

    I already have some on-mission mischief worked up as well as ideas gelling about what Ra & Oan were doing during the Battle of Coruscant and how to give that exposure...
    Last edited by Vanger Chevane; 8 December 2014 at 11:33 PM.
    First Law of GMing: Semper Gumby
    Show me someone who has never said "It's good to be Evil", I'll show you someone who's never GM'd.

    Wisdom is a lot like the Blues. You have to suffer to get it right.

  10. #295
    Registered User Ash DuQuennes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2000
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanger Chevane View Post
    I already have some on-mission mischief worked up as well as ideas gelling about what Ra & Oan were doing during the Battle of Coruscant and how to give that exposure...
    Given Oan's age and the timeline of The Departed, you were in your Freshman year of High School. Or the SW equivalent thereof.
    A. DuQuennes

    I am the one you warned me of.

  11. #296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ash DuQuennes View Post
    Given Oan's age and the timeline of The Departed, you were in your Freshman year of High School. Or the SW equivalent thereof.
    Right, I lost track of the timeframe. While Oan "Ran away to join the Republic" at 16, that was only 7 years ago, roughly 5 years after the Battle of Endor.

    Where does Iceheart place in your timeline?
    First Law of GMing: Semper Gumby
    Show me someone who has never said "It's good to be Evil", I'll show you someone who's never GM'd.

    Wisdom is a lot like the Blues. You have to suffer to get it right.

  12. #297
    Registered User Ash DuQuennes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2000
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    1,406

    Default What A Tangled Web We Weave...

    I haven't taken the time to shake out all the various jigsaw puzzle pieces to make a clear, concise picture of the Departed's relationship to established canon. Or which pieces of canon I'm keeping, and tossing.

    Because, quite frankly, constructing an SSD under Coruscant's surface and having it blast off is idiotic, at best.

    And some of the other EU stuff is just...bad. As much as I liked the Rogue Squadron graphic novels, they were just too Mary Sue; they were diplomats, spies, infantry, special ops teams, and, occasionally, they flew X-Wings and blew stuff up. I would say that that's been dialed back somewhat in The Departed, but not entirely.

    In The Departed, after the Battle of Endor, and especially after the loss of Coruscant, the Empire began a phase of "Rationalization," in which loony-toon die-hards like Isard and Pestage began to lose influence against rationalists like Pellaeon, and then Thrawn. The phrase bandied about in our TT RPG group was, "Survival Cancels Programming, and Those Too Deeply Entrenched in Non-Optimal Paradigms Are Not Survivors."

    But it was too little, too late, and the Remnant of the Departed is about the same as it is in canon sources, but better organized (politically, industrially, and militarily) and poised for a peaceful rebound.

    In The Departed, Isard exists, and could have (probably did) commanded the defenses of Coruscant, and had the Lusankya; but I would rather that the Lusankya was disguised as something innocuous and easily overlooked in space, instead of being buried under a city. Say it was maybe disguised as an asteroid, or a comet that had been captured and put into orbit around Coruscant or one of its moons for processing as a fresh water source.

    It was probably never captured by the New Republic, and retreated from Thyferra, perhaps heavily damaged from that battle, and is most likely still in Imperial (Remnant) service. It's possible they may have arranged a temporary cease-fire, and bartered a prisoner exchange in order to be allowed to retreat peacefully from Thyferra

    Rogue Squadron may or may not have gone "rogue" to fight the Bacta War; if they did, then a certain wing of Y-Wings, led by a certain General, may have coincidentally positioned themselves conveniently nearby to conveniently "lend a helping hand." Should the need arise.

    Given Isard's lunacy, it's possible that the New Republic would've left her alone, in a "Let the Empire have her; she does more damage to her own cause before breakfast than two battle fleets can do in a year" mindset.
    A. DuQuennes

    I am the one you warned me of.

  13. #298
    Registered User Ash DuQuennes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2000
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    There's simply too much EU material to come up with a comprehensive, definitive listing of everything that could possibly be. And, as I haven't even attempted to read everything in the EU, I won't categorically reject much of anything else not currently on my lists, but will look at it very closely as it's pointed out to me before making a ruling.

    I will say up front: if it's another super-weapon, it's probably not going to make "the cut" for The Departed Canon. If it's a powerful new Sith/Dark Side type suddenly crawling out of his hole/emerging to wreak bloody havoc on the Galaxy, see the Jedi Academy/I, Jedi entry, below.

    Galactic-scale political crises like The Black Fleet may or may not still happen (it's past our current The Departed timeline, anyway).


    Never Happened/Won't Happen:

    Dark Empire
    Dark Empire II
    Crystal Star
    Yuzon Vong

    Just about any of the YA novels


    Did Happen, But (Maybe) Different:


    X-Wing Novels/Bacta War: Lusankya escaped, Virulence defected, became Errant Venture; Booster is very closely watched, at all times, by NeRI, NeRDFOR, and Alpha Blue. And Imperial Intelligence. And the Corporate Sector. And the Hutts, the Hapes Consortium, etcetra...

    Suffice to say, there's enough "interested" parties that if Booster so much as picks his nose in public, he's dead meat, and "his" ship is in the hands of...whoever gets to it first.


    Courtship of Princess Leia: pretty much as written; the Hapans are rich, and powerful, but too self-absorbed in their own affairs (in a back-stabby, duel-to-the-death sort of way) to be any kind of threat to anyone besides their own selves. Popular retreat for the rich and shameless looking for "adventure" and intrigues.


    Zinj/Teradoc Campaign: NR resounding success; they mostly just stood back and let the Warlords have it out, and then moved in to mop up the remains. NR (perhaps somewhat cynically) protects NR worlds from the depradations of the Warlord Wars, but does not protect unaffiliated worlds, hopefully to encourage said unaffiliated worlds into joining the NR


    Jedi Academy/I Jedi: no Sun Crusher, but Luke & Co. did have some high times/adventures setting up the new Academy; Kyp Duron is just a troubled kid on the road back to normalcy as a Jedi trainee, not a Mary Sue who scares Skywalker; Corran begins, haltingly, exploring his Jedi heritage, and potential, marries Mirax, (reluctantly) calls Booster "Dad," for the first time.

    Luke calls Sam and Dean Winchester for help in clearing out pesky Dark Side Spirits; Sam and Dean find full-time employment as Hunters for the Jedi against remnant Dark Side/Sith foes; hopping around the Galaxy in an all-black Firespray-31 named The Impaler, Bobby is their primary researcher/field analyst, and a powerful Jedi Spirit (able to occasionally physically coalesce into material form for a brief period) named Castiel has "latched" onto them, and occasionally helps them.

    Luke wants them to be the New Antarian Rangers; Dean flatly rejects the proposal as "Gay." Bobby tends to agree. Sam is "thinking about it." Castiel dismisses it as irrelevant and unimportant.


    Heir to the Empire: pretty much as written, but Thrawn survives; remaining "warlords" see the writing on the wall and begin retreating to the Remnant and pledging obedience back to the Imperial Fleet; the coalition of Moffs becomes an Imperial Ruling Council, but the "Moff" title falls out of favor over more traditional titles of nobility. Archduke Greyfin II emerges as a "first-amongst-equals;" has enough military backing (Pellaeon, for one) to keep other nobles from outright grabbing/smashing their way to power.


    Darksaber: Madine & Co. succeed, not killed. Durga captured, humiliated, incarcerated in NR space.



    What am I missing he in the year of our...whatever...14 ABY?
    A. DuQuennes

    I am the one you warned me of.

  14. #299

    Default

    I see the sense in where you're taking the galaxy, Ash. You put us at 16 ABY, which Wookieepedia sez would be the 12th year of the New Republic.

    The Battle of Endor (ROTJ) was 4ABY, after the Battle the Rebel Alliance issue its Declaration of a New Republic, formally establishing & announcing itself as a Government. The Imperial Era lasted 19 PBY to 4-6 ABY depending if you take the NR Era to begin with the Battle of Endor or Liberation of Coruscant (6 ABY).

    This places Oan & Ra's Enlistment at 9 ABY, FOSCOR Careers starting at 11 ABY & lasting for 5 years. Oan was born sometime 7 PBY & Ra 9 PBY respectively.

    You do the math for IC Ash, but if he joined the rebellion just prior to Yavin (ANH), he has a 20-year Rebel/NeRDFor career and is near or in his forties. Wedge Antilles has similar issues, being well past "Retirement Age" for the typical Snubjock.
    Last edited by Vanger Chevane; 13 December 2014 at 09:36 PM.
    First Law of GMing: Semper Gumby
    Show me someone who has never said "It's good to be Evil", I'll show you someone who's never GM'd.

    Wisdom is a lot like the Blues. You have to suffer to get it right.

  15. #300
    Registered User Ash DuQuennes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2000
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    IC-Me graduated Brionelle Memorial Military Academy at the age of 22, 2BBY.

    He'd be 24 at the time of the Battle of Yavin.

    14 ABY would make him 38, which is my IC listed age, with a 16 year carreer Rebellion/New Republic.

    According to Wookiepedia, there's little hard-and-fast data on when, exactly, Wedge joined the Rebellion, but it was around or slightly after 2 BBY. Age wise, IC-me is three years older than Antilles.
    A. DuQuennes

    I am the one you warned me of.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •