Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Thread: The Departed: Gauging Interest

Moderator: Roleplaying Forum coldskier0320's Avatar

It's a combination of the mess of issues we had years ago killing the momentum and sending everyone elsewhere, combined with then closing off new user registration to keep out the spammers.

Sad state of affairs to be sure, especially since we could probably see a revival with a few issues getting worked out on the technical end (I still have to go back in and delete a post every time I make one, since all of my posts double up for some reason).
    W.W.G.D. - What would Grimace do?

What kind of dust?
    Dirt-laced dust. Probably originating from the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanger Chevane View Post
    (looks across the table & now 4 empty chairs at Ash) Well, how does this work now?

Well, the posts and threads gets lots of views, so if you're up for it, I'm willing to stick it out. I'll admit that it's going to be more collaborative fanfic than much of anything else, but who knows? cold may wander back after a while, Terras, gmjabreson, and Drendar might swing back around, etc.

I'll PM you the ideas I had in mind

No worries, it works. If Oan was present he'd probly be more than a bit frustrated at "The Heads" missing some of the obvious (to him at least) benefits of the system (better accuracy at range being a big one - "hit them before they can hit you" being a core philosphy behind the M2's - and its gunners' - incredible longevity), along with the apparently thoroughly missed recommendation it be made togglable.

"smacks forehead: You're right; I missed it entirely. I'll edit the dialog accordingly.

Speaking of range, I've been toying with the idea of giving the X-Wing's laser cannons Medium Range. Heretofore, most starfighter-scale weaponry (incl. the X- and Y-wing's laser cannons) have officially been restricted to Short Range or less, and when I've used words and descriptors like "long range," and "extreme range" in IC, that meant "long/extreme range" for the effective (Short) range of their laser and ion cannons.

But look at the laser cannons on the X-Wing, for garsh sakes! They're almost as long as the ship is! I can see them having Medium Range (with the attendant -6 Long Range modifier), with that being reduced to maybe -2 or -4 with the Monocle System, depending upon how many apertures get added.

Could be a bit of nice IC for Oan to run across, surfin' the Net: "New! From Taim & Bak! Range Extenders for the KX9-series laser cannons, made famous on the vaunted Incom T-65-series starfighter! Get up to 50% increased range out of your laser cannons! See ad for details!"

Of course, Chiefs Fxz'et and Burkie probably subscribe to the various manufacturer's NetSites for every piece of equipment at FireFly, so it might be a case of Oan and Burkile comming each other at the same time, all excited at the discovery.

I've been up till 0500 this morning pounding out, in game-chrono order, Chann Prelude & updating HalCard. Both are up on gDrive. I feel a bit bad as I had to take some liberties with other ppl's personas due to Darth RL & the empty chairs.

I looked at The Sullustan Situation, pt.1. Back of my brain sez there's a few changes to suggest, but I'd have to thoroughly reread the whole thing. One bit that pops up is removing "Palpatine" from Gracus' decription of the Emperor...somewhere in there. Just some a bit more detail than necessary, while the rest has great flavor.

And I appreciate your efforts; and no, I'm not just buttering up my last remaining player! S.S. pt. 1 is in early stages yet, I'm just banging out an overall concept/idea, before it gets polished up for posting, so plenty of time and room for mods. to it.

Speaking of, I have an interview next week for a decent job. Can't count on it, so I'm still hunting.

I'll kill a chicken and dance nekkid around a fire; invoke Yahweh/Allah/Shiva/Buddha/Odin/Zeus/The Great Pumpkin (it's his time of year, so he should be ascendant in his powers just now) for your success.

Last weekend was very busy at work, as our usual "weekend shutdown" is when we maint. types get to do the deep maint. on the production machines, so Sat/Sun were very long, full days. I'm off today, then work three-12s Tues/Wed/Thurs, but with production running everything, there's not much for us to do except be ready for a breakdown, maybe make a few fine adjustments here-and-there, and maybe putter with some equipment rebuilds in the Shop.

I then have next Fri/Sat/Sun off. The long weekends "off' is when I really get most of my IC/OOC stuff done. So it may be later this week before I get back to adding in stuff, and such.
    A. DuQuennes

I am the one you warned me of.

Default If anyone cares...

If anyone cares, I edited/slightly rewrote the Ash/Kodi dogfight, correcting a major goof on my part (see the "edit" comments at the end of the revamped post), but also taking into account a more accurate representation of the two pilot's relative skill levels and feats.

The final outcome is not substantially changed one iota, but a better description of what the pilots (and astromechs) are doing is included.

Note: I said from the very beginning that this was to be a WotC d20 game. The feat selections are pretty standard from the various source books, but I "goosed" the Starship Power Override feat from the Hero's Guide a bit to better reflect not only what I understand to be cold's original vision for Kodi, but also to more accurately reflect (IMO) the spirit behind the feat.

As originally written, Starship Power Override lets a pilot/system operator increase various subsystem's performance without doing the "Re-Routing Power" thing as described on pages 224-225 of the Revised Core Rulebook. As written, Re-Routing Power doesn't let you gain any extra speed out of your engines.

I said, "Nonsense!" and stuff. I'll let the speed bump (even over/above the craft's listed/stat maximum speed) stand as one of the benefits of the feat.
    A. DuQuennes

And I edited Trainii Tribulation pt. 2 to more accurately reflect the Monocle Targeting thingy's capabilities per Oan's presentation (which, Vanger, I promise I'm getting around to reading your latest revision(s) and posting!)
    A. DuQuennes

Okay, HalCard 1.6 is a go; I edited it very, very slightly to make verb-tenses agree, and added just a touch of exposition to one of Oan's/Ra's dialog interactions.

I saved it as HalCard 1.7; check it out, and if you're happy with it, I'll post it over the T.T. pt. 2, and then re-post T.T. pt. 2 right after it for continuity's sake.
    A. DuQuennes

Quote Originally Posted by Ash DuQuennes View Post
    Well, the posts and threads gets lots of views, so if you're up for it, I'm willing to stick it out. I'll admit that it's going to be more collaborative fanfic than much of anything else, but who knows? cold may wander back after a while, Terras, gmjabreson, and Drendar might swing back around, etc.

I'll PM you the ideas I had in mind
    Works for me. We'll keep the lights on in the Gaming Pub and see who wanders by. Might get one or two of the survivors from Dawn of Defiance wanting dealt in.

I've posted the idea stubs for Silver Station on the gDrive. One bit's rather contradictory, but I haven't worked on resolving that.

"smacks forehead: You're right; I missed it entirely. I'll edit the dialog accordingly.
    You may not need to, it could've been missed IC with someone bringing it up later. "There's an enable/disable built into the software, but it might need some polishing..."

Speaking of range, I've been toying with the idea of giving the X-Wing's laser cannons Medium Range. Heretofore, most starfighter-scale weaponry (incl. the X- and Y-wing's laser cannons) have officially been restricted to Short Range or less, and when I've used words and descriptors like "long range," and "extreme range" in IC, that meant "long/extreme range" for the effective (Short) range of their laser and ion cannons.

But look at the laser cannons on the X-Wing, for garsh sakes! They're almost as long as the ship is! I can see them having Medium Range (with the attendant -6 Long Range modifier), with that being reduced to maybe -2 or -4 with the Monocle System, depending upon how many apertures get added.

Could be a bit of nice IC for Oan to run across, surfin' the Net: "New! From Taim & Bak! Range Extenders for the KX9-series laser cannons, made famous on the vaunted Incom T-65-series starfighter! Get up to 50% increased range out of your laser cannons! See ad for details!"

Of course, Chiefs Fxz'et and Burkie probably subscribe to the various manufacturer's NetSites for every piece of equipment at FireFly, so it might be a case of Oan and Burkile comming each other at the same time, all excited at the discovery.
    Plausible, we can see about weaving that in as we go. Possibly as some of the chat during Caf O'Clock, similar to auto mechs BS'ing bout the Dodge Hellcat when it came out.

And I appreciate your efforts; and no, I'm not just buttering up my last remaining player! S.S. pt. 1 is in early stages yet, I'm just banging out an overall concept/idea, before it gets polished up for posting, so plenty of time and room for mods. to it.
    No rush, I think right now we've both been fleshing out ideas for the next step, and it's good we hadn't committed before the detour turned up.

IIRC it's noted in the X-Wing novels that the 2 klik limit is mainly a factor of the sensor system landing hits than the guns being unable to make them. I bleev that in the video games, one could hit Capships at better than 2Km as it's hard to miss a Star Destroyer at ranges where one couldn't hit a snub without major Force Skills, but the shields are huge enough to just shrug off the damage.

I'll kill a chicken and dance nekkid around a fire; invoke Yahweh/Allah/Shiva/Buddha/Odin/Zeus/The Great Pumpkin (it's his time of year, so he should be ascendant in his powers just now) for your success.
    Thanks, I'll take any help I can get right now. I am a bit surprised a Tanker missed Thor though...biggest hammer in the breaking stuff into teeny unrecognizable bits biz.

Cold did say he'd be following the thread, so let's try to keep our one known fan entertained.

I'll check the updated stuff in a bit, can't be up super-late tongiht as Da Wife has to be chaffeured to Da Doc tomorrow morning for an appt. I agree with you bypassing the official speed limitation for rerouting power, it's used enough in the snub games & novels that it fits better for this game as a boost. A risky & possibly dangerous one, to be certain...but so is flying "a laser-armed foil can" into a furball.
    Last edited by Vanger Chevane; 27 October 2015 at 05:12 AM.
    First Law of GMing: Semper Gumby
    Show me someone who has never said "It's good to be Evil", I'll show you someone who's never GM'd.

Wisdom is a lot like the Blues. You have to suffer to get it right.

Thanks, I'll take any help I can get right now. I am a bit surprised a Tanker missed Thor though...biggest hammer in the Breaking Stuff into teeny unrecognizable bits biz.
    Only according to Marvel Comics; the real Odin is associated with healing, death, royalty, the gallows, knowledge, battle, sorcery, poetry, frenzy, and the runic alphabet,

Tyr may be a suitable alternative, but the breakdown between Odin and Tyr follows similarly as that between Athena and Ares.

Athena Pallas, as goddess of wisdom, is also goddess of craft and cunning in battle, and of strategy. Ares is often portrayed as a straight-up blood knight, reveling in the blood lust and berskergang of individual combat.

Both I and IC-me favor Odin/Athena, although a bit of the Tyr/Ares dynamic creeps in on occasion.
    A. DuQuennes

I've made a few minor fixes to Prelude & HalCard, IMHO they're good to post if you like them.

The Sidebar originally planned for Silver Station on the gDrive needs more work, but it's a fun start IMHO.

I agree that cunning and strategy are the preferred method, but sometimes ya just need a tank for "extreme and expeditious obstacle removal".
    Last edited by Vanger Chevane; 27 October 2015 at 05:11 AM.
    Show me someone who has never said "It's good to be Evil", I'll show you someone who's never GM'd.

Interlude's up.

Something is off with the post-parser, it added extra URL tags to everything, making me go in and hand-massage every last one...

Looks like it also mis-tagged this block in the presentation you posted for me:
    In the background, voices could be heard coming down the hall towards Oan’s Office...
    Italics are all wonky & some of the tags are showing. Looks like it also twisted the Kragget URL somehow, with the extra " at the end of http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kragget making Wookie go all WTF.

Opinion on the Silver Station stub on gDrive, my choice of location, and solution for exfil? The end bit is very much up for revision, specially if it doesn't fit with what's already been done in Coruscant Vacation.
    Last edited by Vanger Chevane; 27 October 2015 at 08:33 PM.

I updated The Sullustan Situation, pt. 1 (titled "1.2" in the shared drive).

Look it over, see what you think. Wanna insert Oan/Ra in there somewhere?
    A. DuQuennes

I updated The Sullustan Situation, pt. 1 (titled "1.2" in the shared drive).

Look it over, see what you think. Wanna insert Oan/Ra in there somewhere?
    I'll give it a look in the next few days, as well as try to get something worked up for Junction.

No cashish for Mortgage, etc. now, so finding a decent job is a major priority.

By all means, focus on the roof over your head and the food upon the table; I have plenty of "back fill" material to tide things over for a goodly bit if I parse it out; plus, getting more involved in cold's campaign can also "kill some time" until you're back on your feet.
    A. DuQuennes

I posted a FireFly "Table of Organization & Equipment" (less the equipment part [for now, at least]) just to kind of get a handle on just how many people FireFly employs.

It's in Excel, so if anyone can't read it, let me know and I'll print and scan and repost it in a word or acrobat .doc format.
    A. DuQuennes

I've got 1.3 up for you.

Realized I've pretty much been permatired for more than a year despite the VA not finding anything wrong. Course given the Institutionalized Apathy there, that makes the diagnosis highly inconclusive...

I'm waiting to hear back from Anthem on a job end of the month, an interview with ADT was pushed back from today to Tue.

Darth RL's got me really stressed. Cold's response to my ideas had me sorely tempted to ragequit, but I decided to leave it for a few days and see if the problem was just me.
    Last edited by Vanger Chevane; 6 November 2015 at 10:29 PM.

I don't know if I mentioned this before (I don't feel like digging back through the threads to see if I did), but the State of Missouri's Dept. of Labor website was a great assistance in getting me back to work.

I created my profile (work experience, education, what I was looking for wrt work, salary expectations, etc), and they sent me email every day with links to suitable jobs; the minimum I received were three job prospects a day.. Some I could just email a resume, some I could do an online application, stuff like that.

Does Colorado offer any such service?

I heavily credit that to my quick turnaround in getting back to work, in spite of my previous employer trying their damndest to fight my unemployment claims, and to tank any job related to electronics, mechanical, and tech-related service; apparently, they felt that anything involving the previous was within the bounds of my Confidentiality/Non-Compete Agreement.

Even if the job wasn't specifically what I was looking for, it was well within my "wheelhouse," with good pay, decent benefits, stable employment, and the screwy hours are a result of our dept. still being short 2-3 techs.
    Last edited by Ash DuQuennes; 7 November 2015 at 06:49 AM.
    A. DuQuennes

Thread Information