Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye (offically) all the EU

Experienced Player

Default Goodbye (offically) all the EU

So apparently Disney/lucas arts are officially disbanding all previous expanded universe with the exception of the clone wars cartoon things and the upcoming rebels...

star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page

Now I knew with Abrams involved the films were not going to bother with any level of respect for the universe, and before the clown wars cartoons certainly didn't... Now its official; the incompetents in charge are not going to bother with any of it. Personally I have gotten and still get more enjoyment out of the older EU then I do even out of the films. I enjoy some of the stories more then I do the prequels and as much if not more then the OT.

For me, then, this announcement is both ok and aggravating. Its ok in that the EU people wont actually screw up anything else like the NJO and post (or for that matter some of the Old Republic stuff) and also that I wont be spending any more money. Aggravating in that I don't think I will bother with any of the new material including episode 7, and I will miss the occasional good thing which has emerged.

What does this mean to the FFG game? How much of it was EU?

Experienced Player

My understanding is that future publications will be considered 'cannon' for Disney/lucasfilm but past publications are not. The related example is ToR; they are releasing a new xpac thing in a few months. From what I understand that xpac will be cannon however the original 1-50 game and the 50-55 hutt expansion will not - however I am not sure of this.

My guess would be that FFG will be treated the same but I have not read anything official about it yet.

Experienced Player

and if that is what happens I wouldn't be surprised to see a new core book being published with the release of 'ep7'

Veteran Player

Quote Originally Posted by Armadious View Post
    So apparently Disney/lucas arts are officially disbanding all previous expanded universe with the exception of the clone wars cartoon things and the upcoming rebels...

star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page

Now I knew with Abrams involved the films were not going to bother with any level of respect for the universe, and before the clown wars cartoons certainly didn't... Now its official; the incompetents in charge are not going to bother with any of it. Personally I have gotten and still get more enjoyment out of the older EU then I do even out of the films. I enjoy some of the stories more then I do the prequels and as much if not more then the OT.

For me, then, this announcement is both ok and aggravating. Its ok in that the EU people wont actually screw up anything else like the NJO and post (or for that matter some of the Old Republic stuff) and also that I wont be spending any more money. Aggravating in that I don't think I will bother with any of the new material including episode 7, and I will miss the occasional good thing which has emerged.
    To me it is a big slap in the face not only to all those authors who's writing has kept SW alive, but to all the fans as well. I also am wondering why the #($I#$ they are allowing the clone wars cartoon (of all things) to stay canon, and Not one of the novels is (even the stuff from Zahn who was used as inspiration for Imperial center now being called Corsucant).
    You cannot dodge it if you don't know it is coming, and you cannot shoot at what you don't know is there!

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    To me it is a big slap in the face not only to all those authors who's writing has kept SW alive, but to all the fans as well. I also am wondering why the #($I#$ they are allowing the clone wars cartoon (of all things) to stay canon, and Not one of the novels is (even the stuff from Zahn who was used as inspiration for Imperial center now being called Corsucant).
    The Clone Wars toons appeal to the Younglings, which is a staple market for the new owners.
    Since they're keeping the toons Canon, that really brings into question the validity of the rest of the Clones Wars EU, like the novels.

I will miss much of the EU, but I'm hopeful that they'll can the NJO/Yuuzhan Vong in some sturdy Toxic Waste containers. IMHO the post-ROTJ EU needs a reboot, and a good one.
    It could be there would be too much accounting & rules-lawyering for the reboot to reasonably carry the original EU. I believe had they gone a la carte with the existing EU, they could have given away the direction of the new stuff as well as torqued off us die-hard fans even more.

A clean break with the tangled past & the bureaucracy required for Lucas Inc-style Canon Enforcement for a post-ROTJ restart can be better than having to cull the existing herd of EU content (and ranting/bickering over whether & why everyone's Personal Fave made the cut or not) IMHO.

We'll just have to wait & see if the new direction is worth our time & money.
    Last edited by Vanger Chevane; 30 April 2014 at 10:29 AM.
    First Law of GMing: Semper Gumby
    Show me someone who has never said "It's good to be Evil", I'll show you someone who's never GM'd.

Wisdom is a lot like the Blues. You have to suffer to get it right.

Veteran Player

Quote Originally Posted by Vanger Chevane View Post
    The Clone Wars toons appeal to the Younglings, which is a staple market for the new owners.
    Which to me is more of a slap in the face to the older SW fans. WE are not as important to the powers that be, as the kiddies are who can badger and heckle their parents into paying out large sums to get them what their darling heart wants.. Even if we have equal or greater buying power as they do.
    You cannot dodge it if you don't know it is coming, and you cannot shoot at what you don't know is there!

With (purely pro-forma) apologies to The Powers That Be, but Brian Daley's Han Solo Trilogy will always be on my list of SW Canon.

Period. Dot. Full-Stop.
    A. DuQuennes

I am the one you warned me of.

Which to me is more of a slap in the face to the older SW fans. WE are not as important to the powers that be, as the kiddies are who can badger and heckle their parents into paying out large sums to get them what their darling heart wants.. Even if we have equal or greater buying power as they do.
    Sometimes the Older SW Fans are the parents of the new owner's target...
    First Law of GMing: Semper Gumby
    Show me someone who has never said "It's good to be Evil", I'll show you someone who's never GM'd.

Wisdom is a lot like the Blues. You have to suffer to get it right.

In my own little world where even the sun is sad.

There was some good stuff in the EU. There was some good ideas that were not so well done. There was a lot of utter crap. I'll miss Wraith Squadron's first 3 books. I'll miss the Thrawn novels. I'll miss the original Han Solo trilogy.

I will not miss NJO, most of the 70's/80's Marvel comics, and many of the novels. If the Wraiths have to be unmade to stop that crap, I'll live with it.
    Lowering Your Quality of Life since 1971

"I'm an awful human being."

"Marriage should be simple. Do you want to marry her? Do you want to marry him? Good, you're married, now jump in the Volcano."
    -Chris B.

New Republic Intelligence Special Agent
    The place furthest away from the bright spot in the Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Steve View Post
    There was some good stuff in the EU. There was some good ideas that were not so well done. There was a lot of utter crap. I'll miss Wraith Squadron's first 3 books. I'll miss the Thrawn novels. I'll miss the original Han Solo trilogy.

I will not miss NJO, most of the 70's/80's Marvel comics, and many of the novels. If the Wraiths have to be unmade to stop that crap, I'll live with it.
    Definitely agree. I loved Zahn's stuff, the original Han Solo adventures, a few other things here and there, but most of the, especially post-RotJ, EU makes the prequels look like Hamlet in comparison.

Disclaimer: I do love the prequels but I also recognize especially Ep I and II's weak points.
    "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine"

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Veteran Player

I seem to be one of only a handful of people on this or any site where SW is talked about that seems to have liked the NJO.

Experienced Player

I do know some few people who really love the NJO, I am not among them but that's ok. I think most of use have already created our own continuity for the universe years ago and are ok with that, I mean I know I am going to stick with mine no matter what happens, and yes it certainly includes Brian Daley's Han Solo Trilogy, most of WEG material and an assortment of other books/comics/games.

From a business side I understand what Disney is thinking, and if it was a complete reboot with all the old EU going to and alternate universe or some such I would probably be ok with it. But its not, they plan, if I understand right, to mine it for ideas. My apprehension with this is more to do with how the EU material has been used by the only guide currently out: the Clown Wars. If the butchery that series did to most everything it touched from the EU is any indication I wont be able to read or watch much because the lack of respect just throws me out of story (its actually just as bad in the bits of the recent material I have read from the EU as well so no real loss there either).

Moderator: Roleplaying Forum coldskier0320's Avatar

Ultimately, though, we're not as important as the kids demographic, and the power-by-proxy of kids to whom the new films will be marketed far outweighs a (relatively) statistically insignificant portion of the 25-45 demographic that are such hard core fans that they're even discussion the dismissal of the EU, let alone lamenting it. I don't really think that we do, as a group, have anywhere close to equal buying power compared to the parents of the 3-13 demographic that will be frothing at the mouth over any new movies.

I do think that what's probably going to end up happening is that the lion's share of what we consider the "core" time frame for the EU (that being between Endor and the end of the Vong War) is going to be glossed over in the movies, and we, the hard core fans will be left with the choice of an intricate and detailed EU, or the vague blank slate that allows for the events of the movies. Over time this slate will likely be filled in with books and other material (I desperately hope that video games are never ever again considered canon), but the existing EU won't be suddenly totally ignored...it'll just be considered apocrypha.
    W.W.G.D. - What would Grimace do?

What kind of dust?
    Dirt-laced dust. Probably originating from the ground.

Moderator: Roleplaying Forum coldskier0320's Avatar

Ultimately, though, we're not as important as the kids demographic, and the power-by-proxy of kids to whom the new films will be marketed far outweighs a (relatively) statistically insignificant portion of the 25-45 demographic that are such hard core fans that they're even discussion the dismissal of the EU, let alone lamenting it. I don't really think that we do, as a group, have anywhere close to equal buying power compared to the parents of the 3-13 demographic that will be frothing at the mouth over any new movies.

I do think that what's probably going to end up happening is that the lion's share of what we consider the "core" time frame for the EU (that being between Endor and the end of the Vong War) is going to be glossed over in the movies, and we, the hard core fans will be left with the choice of an intricate and detailed EU, or the vague blank slate that allows for the events of the movies. Over time this slate will likely be filled in with books and other material (I desperately hope that video games are never ever again considered canon), but the existing EU won't be suddenly totally ignored...it'll just be considered apocrypha.
    W.W.G.D. - What would Grimace do?

What kind of dust?
    Dirt-laced dust. Probably originating from the ground.

Thread Information