Thread: AHH i got trampled by that walker!

Veteran Player

Default AHH i got trampled by that walker!

In the Empire's at war game, we see both walkers (and other vehicles) running over people. In Empire strike back, we see luke Almost getting to be the goo on the AT-AT's sole of one of it's foot.

So what would be the damage if a walker stepped on you? What would the 'to hit' be considered? A brawling attack (defended against with brawling parry/melee parry) or an area attack defended with dodge?
    You cannot dodge it if you don't know it is coming, and you cannot shoot at what you don't know is there!

To hit would be the pilot's walker ops skill versus the target's dodge skill, I would imagine (GM's discretion on scale modifiers or not). The damage is "you die." You can be a Jedi Master or whatever, but if an AT-AT steps on you, you're now just a greasy spot on the pavement.

Sky Pilot

If you don't want a character to die under Walker feet, you can always use the Force Point escape clause. I'm thinking, spend 2 FP to play the "Get Out of Hoth Free" card, or 1 FP to survive, but with the loss of one random limb.
    <<<<<

They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles... Isaiah 40:31

Veteran Player

Quote Originally Posted by Seghast View Post
    To hit would be the pilot's walker ops skill versus the target's dodge skill, I would imagine (GM's discretion on scale modifiers or not). The damage is "you die." You can be a Jedi Master or whatever, but if an AT-AT steps on you, you're now just a greasy spot on the pavement.
    As i asked on Rancor's pit, if a critter (say a rancor) tried stomping on you it would be brawl v's brawl parry. So why would a walker doing the same with their vehicle ops skill default to dodge, since part of Parrying blows as per the RAW is avoidance.
    You cannot dodge it if you don't know it is coming, and you cannot shoot at what you don't know is there!

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    As i asked on Rancor's pit, if a critter (say a rancor) tried stomping on you it would be brawl v's brawl parry. So why would a walker doing the same with their vehicle ops skill default to dodge, since part of Parrying blows as per the RAW is avoidance.
    To parry is to deflect or block; you're countering the incoming move with something of your own to push their attack aside. It's not really feasible to parry a Rancor's giant foot or a giant 2+ton walker foot; your only option is to dodge and pray the almighty wild die doesn't land on a one.

Veteran Player

Quote Originally Posted by Seghast View Post
    To parry is to deflect or block; you're countering the incoming move with something of your own to push their attack aside. It's not really feasible to parry a Rancor's giant foot or a giant 2+ton walker foot; your only option is to dodge and pray the almighty wild die doesn't land on a one.
    But as i mentioned/ In the write up for brawl parry, its blocking OR avoiding the blow. So that avoidance COULD still mean you dodge out of the path of it, but not via the Dodge skill.

But as i mentioned/ In the write up for brawl parry, its blocking OR avoiding the blow. So that avoidance COULD still mean you dodge out of the path of it, but not via the Dodge skill.
    Either the game is stupidly redundant to have two separate skills that can work as a full-on "OH CRAP" dodge where you dive out of the way and pray to the nearest available deity, or the avoidance aspect of parry is meant more as a minor sidestep/twist of the body to let a fist whiff by just a hair, which isn't really suitable for avoiding a giant metal foot that's roughly the size of a tank.

Veteran Player

I'll give you that.

So here goes for a first attempt at a write up for situations like this.

Trample attacks.
    Many vehicles, especially walkers and tracked vehicles, suffer in the shooting department due to the scaling rules favoring the capacity of smaller foes to dodge out of the attacks. Also certain weapons may not be able to hit someone too close to the vehicle. So what can those in that situation do about it? Trample/run them over.
    This is an opposed roll, of the vehicle operator's skill+maneuverability code against the targets dodge+4d scale difference (or if you use the old scale caps go by dodge on it's own).
    If the target is hit, damage is based on the body or hull of the vehicle, + scale mods (if used), with an additional modifier based on the terrain.

Loose soil/muddy areas can cause the person to get squished into the earth, thereby lessening the damage. -3d
    More compact soil/earth areas, such as being out in normal land/forests still have some absorption factor, so get -1d
    Asphalt and concrete does not have much give so damage is normal

Trample attacks.
    Many vehicles, especially walkers and tracked vehicles, suffer in the shooting department due to the scaling rules favoring the capacity of smaller foes to dodge out of the attacks. Also certain weapons may not be able to hit someone too close to the vehicle. So what can those in that situation do about it? Trample/run them over.
    This is an opposed roll, of the vehicle operator's skill+maneuverability code against the targets dodge+4d scale difference (or if you use the old scale caps go by dodge on it's own).
    If the target is hit, damage is based on the body or hull of the vehicle, + scale mods (if used), with an additional modifier based on the terrain.

Loose soil/muddy areas can cause the person to get squished into the earth, thereby lessening the damage. -3d
    More compact soil/earth areas, such as being out in normal land/forests still have some absorption factor, so get -1d
    Asphalt and concrete does not have much give so damage is normal
    Unfortunately, hull codes don't take into account the sheer size and weight of these vehicles. An AT-ST looks like it's probably about a third of the weight of a main battle tank, maybe as small as sixth. An M1 Abrams is 67 tons, so that walker is going to be, at minimum, ten tons and at most, twenty. AT-ATs get even more absurd; you're looking at a heavily-armored body that's about the size of a 3 bedroom/1 bath house, give or take, and four massive feet that are roughly the size of an Abrams (and likely the weight, too). I don't even want to try and guess how much the whole thing weighs. I mean, that foot crushed Luke's speeder pretty thoroughly and that thing was a lot sturdier than a frail, flesh body is going to be.

I think the only possible way a player would survive being trampled by a walker is if he's exceptionally-strong and it's a smaller walker like an AT-PT or something. An AT-AT is pretty much instant death, and an AT-ST may not kill you outright, but you're looking at mortal wounds (like say, everything from the waist down getting turned into jelly).

Terrain modifiers are a good idea up to a point, but that also starts to feel too much like Looney Tunes if a walker steps on you, everyone thinks you're dead, and when the foot moves, you pop up and say "hey guys, how's it goin'?" With the weight of these vehicles, as much as you'll be pushed down into loose soil or snow, that big, heavy metal foot will be pushed down as well. Loose/soil/muddy areas will give you some small safety net, sure, but 3d feels a bit much (maybe 1d+2).
    Last edited by Seghast; 17 June 2014 at 10:18 PM.

Thread Information