Thread: Gearing up to run D6 for some friends

Immoderator

Default Gearing up to run D6 for some friends

It's been a solid half decade since I played Star Wars RPG anything. I'm reading through all my old books (still got 'em, had to make a trip to pick them up) and trying to remember all of the house rules I liked and then applying a solid 15 more years of life experience to them and trying to figure out if they're still good.

Anyone want to try helping jump start my memory on this stuff?

I just got done running a 3 year Heaven's Reach (Exalted space opera) game where I basically made everything up as I went along. I'm refreshing my general Star Wars knowledge and while I told my players to expect everything up until the point I throw them into the mix just after the Battle of Yavin to resemble what they know about Star Wars, I fully expect I will be allowing them to meddle however they like. But the idea of being able to fall back on existing material seems really pleasant by comparison to having to make most of everything up on the fly.
    I awoke
    Only to find my lungs empty
    And through the night
    So it seems I'm not breathing
    And now my dreams are nothing like they were meant to be - Dallas Green (City and Colour), Sleeping Sickness

Quote Originally Posted by Ardent View Post
    It's been a solid half decade since I played Star Wars RPG anything. I'm reading through all my old books (still got 'em, had to make a trip to pick them up) and trying to remember all of the house rules I liked and then applying a solid 15 more years of life experience to them and trying to figure out if they're still good.

Anyone want to try helping jump start my memory on this stuff?

I just got done running a 3 year Heaven's Reach (Exalted space opera) game where I basically made everything up as I went along. I'm refreshing my general Star Wars knowledge and while I told my players to expect everything up until the point I throw them into the mix just after the Battle of Yavin to resemble what they know about Star Wars, I fully expect I will be allowing them to meddle however they like. But the idea of being able to fall back on existing material seems really pleasant by comparison to having to make most of everything up on the fly.
    There's like dice. And you throw them. Then the stormtroopers fall over.

But seriously, Ardent, what's the kind of campaign your players want to be in?

I haven't run D6 for 5 years and am itching for a campaign myself.

Immoderator

Quote Originally Posted by hisham View Post
    There's like dice. And you throw them. Then the stormtroopers fall over.

But seriously, Ardent, what's the kind of campaign your players want to be in?

I haven't run D6 for 5 years and am itching for a campaign myself.
    Oh, Rebel SpecOps. Specifically a Team that augments/supplants local Foster Agents when situations get really hairy. They also go in and kick down doors to rescue Really Dumb Orphans and the like. Chase down valuable intel. Blow up key Imperial facilities. Deliver vital supplies. Sort of like real life Special Ops with an emphasis on hostage recovery.

I pitched it, they all said "awesome," and I've got like a dozen adventure ideas written down (and another dozen adventure hooks hidden aboard their DeepWater-class transport).

I'm going to start them off playing a very skilled SpecOps team that is going to find itself up against a no-win situation. Once they're detained then they get to take over their own characters and go in and rescue those "badasses," which sets the tone for what they do, puts the stakes into perspective, and makes their (starting) characters seem like real heroes.

So it's not the whole "I need stuff for them to do;" I just need a refresher on which D6 mechanics are most likely to trip up the campaign. I've already let them know their chances of finding a Failed or Minor Jedi to train with are approaching zero, so Force use is either a separate Force tradition or "natural ability."
    I awoke
    Only to find my lungs empty
    And through the night
    So it seems I'm not breathing
    And now my dreams are nothing like they were meant to be - Dallas Green (City and Colour), Sleeping Sickness

Thread Information