Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The reviews are in...

Moderator: Roleplaying Forum coldskier0320's Avatar

I like to think this forum is better than that and it typically is
    It is.

*Mod Hat: On*

Whill, while your thoughts and opinions, positive or negative, on the film are certainly welcome here...and you're certainly welcome to react to and disagree with the opinions of other posters, it's important that you refrain from making personal attacks, whether individually at one poster, or in general (toward all people who disagree with you, or those who view the movie in an unfavorable light).

I understand that this franchise holds a special place for you...it does for most of us here...but it's important that you maintain some detachment and don't perceive a criticism, or even an outright attack on the film as an attack on you.

I'm not telling you not to participate, just asking that you keep it civil and about the movie, not the people discussing it.

This isn't meant to be taken as an Official Warning...just as a friendly suggestion, and an attempt to nip an issue in the bud before it gets out of hand.

*Mod Hat: Off*
    W.W.G.D. - What would Grimace do?

What kind of dust?
    Dirt-laced dust. Probably originating from the ground.

Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Quote Originally Posted by coldskier0320 View Post
    *Mod Hat: On*

Whill, while your thoughts and opinions, positive or negative, on the film are certainly welcome here...and you're certainly welcome to react to and disagree with the opinions of other posters, it's important that you refrain from making personal attacks, whether individually at one poster, or in general (toward all people who disagree with you, or those who view the movie in an unfavorable light).

I understand that this franchise holds a special place for you...it does for most of us here...but it's important that you maintain some detachment and don't perceive a criticism, or even an outright attack on the film as an attack on you.

I'm not telling you not to participate, just asking that you keep it civil and about the movie, not the people discussing it.

This isn't meant to be taken as an Official Warning...just as a friendly suggestion, and an attempt to nip an issue in the bud before it gets out of hand.
    Thank you for stepping in here, coldskier. I find most of your moderation valid. However, I did not view Fred's post as an attack on me. If you and Seghast think that I am just being defensive against anyone who doesn't like the film ("blahblahblah" as Seghast said), then it seems clear that my unacceptable personal comments have distracted you from the point. There were several dissenting opinions in this thread and I didn't even respond to those at all. Fred's was above and beyond that. He knew he would hate the film, saw it anyway, then came here just to hate. He clearly only saw the film to bash it. Even if Fred didn't make his comments personal against anyone here (He sure made it very personal against Abrams), Fred's comments were completely pointless and negative. (I realize that behavior must be allowed here as long as he doesn't make it personal to any individuals or groups of individuals posting here.) Hate only for the sake of hate is specifically what I was "ranting and raving" about, not just attacking him just for not liking Abrams or the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Seghast View Post
    Seems like you're taking his distaste for Abrams kinda personal...
    Incorrect. I take pointless hate for the sake of hate about anything personal. I must take it too personal as that behavior is allowed here.

Are you proud of yourself for this public behavior of bashing another for his opinion, regardless of how right or wrong you think he is?
    I take no pride in it.

Is it "cool" to be a hater of haters
    Not at all. It's a curse.

I also know from other sites that there have been some really strong opinions generated over this film; someone says they don't like it or Abrams and people go absolutely nuts about how they're a hater and jealous and blahblahblah.
    You are generalizing. This was never about him just hating Abrams or TFA. This was about him knowing he would hate the film, seeing the film anyway, and coming here only to bash it.

Chill; he's entitled to his opinion, just as you are yours and attacking him for it is petty and juvenile.
    Now I'm confused. You just called me "petty and juvenile" but I do not see any moderation for you. That seem hypocritical.

I like to think this forum is better than that and it typically is
    It is.
    You both must have a very different opinion than me of what makes a "better" forum. The hate is strong in this forum. The hatred (including hate for hate's sake) is allowed until it becomes personal, but then other users are allowed to make it personal in return and the original rampant hatred goes unchecked.

Although it required a forum violation on my part to do it, my sad work here is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Whill View Post
    Fred's was above and beyond that. He knew he would hate the film, saw it anyway, then came here just to hate. He clearly only saw the film to bash it. (
    Or perhaps he opted to give the film a chance despite his original misgivings? Like Fred, I'm no fan of Abrams and I have yet to enjoy a single thing he's done, and the spoilers for Episode 7 have made me roll my eyes more than a few times and yet despite all of these negative things, I too will eventually go see the movie (whenever my work schedule will allow) simply because it is Star Wars and I love Star Wars. I will give it a chance despite this uneasy feeling in my gut that I will not enjoy it.

And if I somehow don't like it, does that mean I saw the film for the sole and expressed purpose of "bashing" it?

If I choose not to see it, does that make me too close-minded for my own good for ignoring something I might enjoy, for forsaking a new chapter of a franchise I have long treasured?

If I don't like it, am I forbidden from returning here to discuss the film with fellow fans? Should I be crucified for saying I dislike Abrams' style of directing?

Moderator: Roleplaying Forum coldskier0320's Avatar

Fred's was above and beyond that. He knew he would hate the film, saw it anyway, then came here just to hate. He clearly only saw the film to bash it. Even if Fred didn't make his comments personal against anyone here (He sure made it very personal against Abrams), Fred's comments were completely pointless and negative. (I realize that behavior must be allowed here as long as he doesn't make it personal to any individuals or groups of individuals posting here.) Hate only for the sake of hate is specifically what I was "ranting and raving" about, not just attacking him just for not liking Abrams or the film.

Okay, mod-hat back on...

If you're really finding one person's posting so objectionable that you can't refrain from making personal attacks against them, then you need to simply ignore posts from that individual.

You're making a lot of assumptions, then using those assumptions to justify pretty clear personal attacks, and that sort of behavior is not and will not be tolerated. There's no need to single out someone else giving their opinions of the movie, no matter how much you may disagree, and taking the discussion away from the movie and making it about them.

Since my last post was the friendly suggestion, please consider this a more curt Warning from the Staff.

If you can't make a post without attacking another forum member, don't post. I hope you'll be able to find a middle ground and simply keep your posts focused on the movie.

Thank you.
    W.W.G.D. - What would Grimace do?

What kind of dust?
    Dirt-laced dust. Probably originating from the ground.

D6 Forever!

Exclamation Thread closed

Since this thread seems to just be about people expressing extreme dislike of the movie, and that is NOT conducive to a positive discussion, I am closing this thread.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.
    facta, non verba

Thread Information