Thread: Gauging Interest.....and possibly seeing if people still visit here.

experienced groundpounder

Default Gauging Interest.....and possibly seeing if people still visit here.

After seeing all of the trailers for Rogue One, which I'm definitely going to see when it comes out, it has me wanting to possibly create a campaign during the same time period but not dealing with stealing the plans for the Death Star, that's Jyn's job. One of the aspects I'm currently thinking about are the early days of the Rebellion, such as: How did Wedge Antilles get recruited by the Rebellion? Other than execution for recruiting or leading a resistance cell against the Empire, what other threats did recruiters face daily?

System of play? Thinking FFG for now, but still not quite comfortable using it yet. Not from lack of having it, more from lack of active gaming in a long time.

Players: depends on how many show interest.

Starting date: undetermined at this time, thinking after holiday chaos.
    Through darkness we travel, searching for the vibrant silence of light ahead. Though death may take us here, we push on until the evil in this land is vanquished.

Moderator: Roleplaying Forum coldskier0320's Avatar

In the early days of the Rebellion, they relied heavily on a double-blind cell-based system. The WEG Rebel Alliance Sourcebook has a lot of great info on this time period (though, naturally, this phase of the Rebellion is wide open for whatever organization you see fit, since there was no rigid hierarchy).

If you haven't yet checked it out, I'd also suggest taking a look at the Disney Rebels cartoon. Some of it is the cringey, unrealistic, over-the-top stuff that kids eat up, but there's a lot of good stuff in there, as well as idea fuel for any GM looking to run a rebel cell type game set during the height of Imperial power.
    W.W.G.D. - What would Grimace do?

What kind of dust?
    Dirt-laced dust. Probably originating from the ground.

A few other things:

How did Wedge Antilles get recruited by the Rebellion?
    IIRC, his parents ran a refueling depot that was hit by the imps. He survived, and eventually found his way to the Rebellion to avenge them (possibly with the help of Booster Terrik? Can't remember for sure.)

System of play? Thinking FFG for now, but still not quite comfortable using it yet. Not from lack of having it, more from lack of active gaming in a long time.
    Just as a very subjective and general heads up, all of the PbP that I've been involved in using the FFG system has been significantly slower, less fluid, and "clunky" compared to the WotC versions and WEG's D6. Not saying it can't be made to work, but for as much as I liked the FFG system when it first came out, it's turned into my least favorite of the three systems. Subjectively, for me, it tries to make everything simple and fast, but in practice, all it seems to accomplish, for me, is eliminating stats and dumping the burden of figuring all of that out onto the GM...while still being almost as complicated as a more conventional system. And to add to that, truly fluid play relies on the GM being intimately familiar with all the rules as well as memorizing every talent of every tree.

It also doesn't scale well at all. Unless you're planning on starting out with basic characters that will work their way up, it's ridiculously opaque when it comes to a situation of "I want to create a game where the characters are part of an advanced team of..."

Just points to be aware of as you start out. I love the FFG books and there's lots of good material in them, but for me, they're basically reference books at this point, as, if I'm to run another SWRPG game, it'll likely use the WotC RCRB or WEG D6 instead of Saga or FFG.

What kind of dust?

experienced groundpounder

yeah, I remember that story about his parents, but there isn't much on him other than what was in the SW Dictionary published decades ago.
    Through darkness we travel, searching for the vibrant silence of light ahead. Though death may take us here, we push on until the evil in this land is vanquished.

Quote Originally Posted by gmjabreson View Post
    yeah, I remember that story about his parents, but there isn't much on him other than what was in the SW Dictionary published decades ago.
    The animated Rebels cartoon now also has a Wedge origin story where he's an Imperial flight cadet in training that defects.

What kind of dust?

I'm not around much, but I do check from time to time.

Wedge's backstory depends on whose set of Canon you go with.

In the Lucas-era novels, Wedge IIRC was on the Rand Ecliptic with Biggs, Wes, & Hobbie when they defected. Wedge had run freight as an Independent (with help from Booster on at least serveral occasions) before joining the Rebellion. Wedge tells Corran Horn that Booster had provided info on who had blown up his parent's refueling station & at least implied that he'd tracked them down & exacted some unspecified form of Vengeance.

The Disney-Era cartoon shows Cadet Antilles being recruited by Mandalorian & ex-Imp Cadet Sabine Ren at some Imperial Starfighter Training Base, then saved from summary execution for Treason by the Ghost crew.
    Last edited by Vanger Chevane; 2 December 2016 at 09:22 PM.
    First Law of GMing: Semper Gumby
    Show me someone who has never said "It's good to be Evil", I'll show you someone who's never GM'd.

Wisdom is a lot like the Blues. You have to suffer to get it right.

I still look in from time to time. Not sure if I'd be up for a game, and I tend to kill them.

Also echoing some things here. Rebels is basically someone's RPG campaign, and like a lot of RPG campaigns, it plays fast and loose. Downside is that when they play, it becomes cannon, but there are still some good ideas there. Some specifics I haven't seen mentioned:

Funding. The early rebels episodes have a lot of getting funding because they need fuel, or food, or something like, so they beg, borrow, or steal. This was because the early Rebellion couldn't just give money to its cells.

Helping the people. Again, early Rebel's episodes have some "the people are suffering, we should help them" stuff. Could just play this straight, or have it be a hearts and minds campaign.

Inquisitors (aka Jedi Hunters). Almost a must if you have a Jedi that keeps swinging the lightstick around.

Crime lords. Either you're getting weapons or supplies from them, or taking jobs to get supplies from them, or they're double crossing you.

Hope some of those help.
    Malkarris from Mattimeo by Brian Jaques
    42, the answer
    I wonít fight you Atton.
    I donít care, I just want you to die.
    (Disciple and Atton KOTOR2)

Thread Information