Thread: Death Star and Death Star II

Dark Jedi

Cool Death Star and Death Star II

I have read that the DS2 was 160 km in comparison to the 120 km DS. And that this was to eliminate the flaws like the thermal exaust port which Luke utillized to blow the poo out of the first one. I don't understand how just making it bigger could eliminate all those flaws.

Also, I've been adding up numbers and reading backgrounds of the original DS. And how it had shopping centers and parks and you know...non-militaristic stuff...that sure detracts from the ultimate power in the universe aspect of it.
    "May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."

--FlipDog 2000

Sith Chick, 1ST HotShot Quiz Centurion, and Master Lurker
    Searching for warmth in the cold darkness of Lurkerdom ...

I dunno . . . in a way that adds to the ultimate power in the universe idea. If they actually had the resources to build something as destructive as that . . . and also had the time to put recreational facilities aboard to keep those running the DS happy . . . how scared are you of the Empire's production capabilities?

Maybe by making the DS larger, it allowed for a unique restructuring of the exhaust manifold system which allowed for the exhaust to be expended without a port.
    "Anger, Fear, Agression. The dark side are they!"
    Vixen~of~Venus
    "A woman with a lightsaber!! Run boys! RUN!!!"
    "Roll for initiative Monkeyboy!!"

look at the recreation facilities on a modren aircraft carrier. a ship the size of the death star sort of needed recreation facilities. odds are these we're run by civilans though but rather by old vetrens who are too old for active duty as troopers and too lowly ranked for desk jobs

It is my understanding that the increased size of the DS II (Which I personally do not believe was 160 kilometers, e-mail me for specifics) was to accomodate the larger reactor needed to enable the superlaser to make "rapid fire" shots as well as the massive focussing equipment needed to allow the superlaser to accurately fire on capital ships.

The first Death Star (which I also have size problems with) required 32 hours to fire at maximum charge and could only fire at maximum charge. It also had no real fire control system, meaning that in order to aim the superlaser, one had to aim the Death Star.

The Death Star II, on the other hand, could fire off-axis (that is, it could fire a beam that didn't have to go straight out of the "barrel"), and as a result could be aimed without aiming the entire station. This is how the Death Star II scragged the Mon Cal cruiser in the movie. Additionally, it could fire at less than maximum charge. Specifically, it could fire at 1/8th of maximum power every minute or could choose to charge up a full-power shot which would take eight minutes. While the first Death Star needed a full 32 hours between full-power blasts, the new one could fire full-power blasts every eight minutes and could do it three times before the power cells required a 24 hour recharge period! Even better, it could choose to fire much less powerful blasts once every 60 seconds, each blast being more than sufficient to reduce any other vessel in known space to component atoms with ease. If used as a fleet-killer, rather than a planet-killer, the second Death Star could wade into the center of an enemy fleet (when completed it would've been almost completely invulnerable to anything not equipped with a superlaser) and sure-fire kill two dozen of the enemy's largest vessels (assuming no missed shots) before having to switch to conventional turbolasers and ion cannons!

No, the exhaust port problem wasn't solved by making it bigger... THAT was solved by putting an armored grill too small for proton torpedoes to shoot through over the damned thing!
    Suspenders of Disbelief: For When the Harsh Weight of Reality Threatens to Drag the Trousers of Our Imagination Down to the Unforgiving Floor of Mundanity!

The citizens do not need to know what the cost is. They only need know that the mission has been accomplished.

My sole regret, as I initiate the scuttling sequence that will send my fusion pile critical, is that I will not be present in .03 seconds. I would like to watch as the Enemy try to vent an omnidirectional thermonuclear explosion into their research facility. - Bolo Unit Maldon, Mk. XXX Continental Seige Unit of the 3rd Battalion, Dinochrome Brigade.

Dark Jedi

As far as by book tells me...the approx. numbers were 120 and 160. Why is there a prob with those stats?
    "May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."

--FlipDog 2000

Jedi Master & Guardian of Peace, Justice and the Okina-Rdae Technologies Forum

In the Star Wars Technical Manual it said that the second Death Star still had a 2m wide thermal exaust port; however, it had grates over it and spaced in intervals in the core so that a single shot would not destroy the station.

As for the recreation question - haven't you seen Trooper Clerks?
    i was more like uncle luke: a human weapon, point me at the bad guys and turn me loose. i knock ‘em down and everybody cheers. - Anakin Solo Hallucination

Webmaster: SWRPGNetwork Conversions

Originally posted by FrobiWanKenobi
    In the Star Wars Technical Manual it said that the second Death Star still had a 2m wide thermal exaust port; however, it had grates over it and spaced in intervals in the core so that a single shot would not destroy the station.
    That depends on who you listen to. The DS Tech Companion says that the D*II had thoursands of really tiny heat exchange ports all over the station, instead of one central vent.
    -Tony
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Come look at at my new obsession
    ----> http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonyjcase/
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Thread Information