Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rank Query

Default Rank Query

In the New Republic Starfleet, Fighter portion, which rank is directly below commander? My GM and i are in disagreement... one of us thinks Lt. Commander, the other Captain. If you could provide me with a reference to some hard material(to show my GM), i would be obliged.
    "You also tilt when you should withdraw; and that, too, is knightly." -A Knight's Tale
    "Calm seemed to flow from him, and a deep sense... of vast strength bought at a terrible price" -Children of the Jedi

Intergalactic Man Of Mystery

Seeing as the New Republic Ranking System basically followed that of the Rebel Alliance, this link will tell you all you need to know really.

Rebel Alliance Insignia

You will find that the order of ranks for the three you mentioned goes:

Lt. Commander .. then Commander .. then Captain (so Captain has the highest rank).
    "This adventure sucks. Darth Max? Come on, Francis."
    "HEY! You can't insult the games master like that."
    "Read my lips. This .... adventure ... sucks!"
    "Right! That tears it. You're encased in carbonite." *roll*

That's pretty cool. Why haven't you showed it to me before?

Emmissary

Thanks corsair i have been looking for something like that for ages
    If you like final fantasy and roleplaying check this thread out:
    Final Fantasy D20

thank you, but that raises yet another query...
    in the rogue squadron series, why does Commander Antilles outrank Captain Celchu, and later Captain Horn?
    And would therefore Han outrank Luke at Hoth? (Commander Skywalker/Captain Solo)
    "You also tilt when you should withdraw; and that, too, is knightly." -A Knight's Tale
    "Calm seemed to flow from him, and a deep sense... of vast strength bought at a terrible price" -Children of the Jedi

Emmissary

i think the reason Celchu out ranks horn is because he has been a cpt long + wedge says so. what wedge says goes in rouge squadron
    Final Fantasy D20

To explain the whole Wedge, Tycho and Corran thing:

When it comes to squadrons, such as Rogue Squadron, the person in charge of Rogue Squadron has command over all in his squadron, regardless of the rank of the people in his squadron.

Tycho, though captain, was only re-instated to Rogue Squadron by Wedge because Tycho at the time was being held in prison because he was under suspicion. Wedge but his life on the line for him to get him flying again. Tycho is a captain because he has been in service longer than Wedge (he was the guy in the A-Wing who led the guys away from Lando and Wedge while they were flying in the asteroid).

Corran Horn came over from CorSec. He did not start off as a captain in rogue squadron, he had to earn that rank. But even when he did get it, he was still under the command of wedge when it came to rogue squadron.

Wedge's actual rank would've been something like Commodore or something ... but he passed over many promotionsl in order to stay as Commander of the squadron.

as much as I resspect Crutis Saxton and the Material on his website he is WRONG WRONG WRONG. on the subject of ranks...

fact of the matter is that the rank system seen in the X-wing flight simulator computer game has become the OFFICAL ranking system of the new republic star fighter corps. as EVIDANCED in the rogue squadron book series.

Saxton has made a COMMON mistake with people dealing with star wars (especially the ranking system) and that is taking a cultural centric view point with regard to the whole orginization.

fact is we have no reason to assume that commander is lower then captain other then the fact that in some navys of the world commander is lower then captain...

the OFFICAL new republic star fighter corps ranking scheme is as follows

Flight Cadet. Flight Officer, Lt. Captain, Commander, General

Default Since you mentioned it (and so did Saxton!)

Well .. since you mentioned the X-Wing games .. if you scrolled down a bit on Saxton's page .. you will find that he gives the ranking system used in X-Wing Alliance as well.

This ranking system is:

Recruit
    Flight Cadet
    Flight Officer
    Lieutenant JG
    Lieutenant
    Captain
    Lt Commander
    Commander
    General

As he stated on his page, it shows inconsistencies etc.

Trying reading something fully before criticising Brian.

Rebel Insurgent

Personally I like the ranking system from rogue squadron. Not so much for its consistency but for the fact you can get up to Supreme Allied Commander just by flying starfighters.
    "You're good, but you're no Wes Janson." - Wes Janson

"You are never certain that a person will notice something but there is a good chance the person is going to have to kill it sooner or later. Therefore my padawan, never get any awareness or stealth skills, just be really good at killing." - Jedi Master Yatzi Googol Safefefe

Well Fallen Angel, I've looked over the ranks according to the link in a previous reply. These ranks seem to fit with mine, as well as Tony's, and even some of the ranks from the first Rouge Squadron game (N64).
    So, you are still a Lt. Commander

(No, you still don't get a raise.)

Well, here's the question you must ask: do you use the rank system in the published RPG Rules, or use extrapolated data from a second source (and I do respect the hard work Curtis Saxton has done, I really do; no one here should perceive this as a slam against him, his work, or his excellent website).

Page 98 of the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook list the ranks, and I'll post them here in ascending order:

Lieutenant
    Captain
    Major
    Commander
    Colonel
    General

It shows blue "pips" for Navy and black for Army. I strongly suspect that the black "pips" are actually supposed to be red.

Of course, we're all free to either use or ignore any rules we want in our respective games; for continuity, and ease of communication, I think it behooves us to at least be familiar with the standard rules, and state when we are using variants/homebrews.

Just FYI: I've always used American military ranks in my SW games; Navy ranks for Alliance/NR Fleet, Army ranks for A/NR Ground Forces, and Marine for A/NR Fleet Troop Command (an admittedly made-up "branch" used specifically in my SW Universe). Starfighters and pilots can be assigned to any of these commands, but there is little tendency to change branches.

It's not unheard of, just unusual, because of the unique missions specific to each branch, and the training pilots in those branches undergo to be proficient in those branch-specific missions. There is, of course, cross-branch training. When there is time, and if a pilot qualifies.
    A. DuQuennes

I am the one you warned me of.

d20 Yuppie
    Detroit, no Jacksonville, no...oh, forget it!

Just happen to have SW Gamer #9 handy, and in their Starfighter Sqadron segment, they have a chart that shows that the ranks, based on Reputation score, are as follows:
    Commander (16+)
    Captain (11-15)
    Lieutenant (6-10)
    Flight Officer (1-5)

The plot thickens!
    If it involves Brodie and a bag of pretzels, I DON'T WANNA HEAR IT!!!

http://bagman19.blogspot.com

Emmissary

that could help solve the rank argument in the party at the moment

thank you
    bagman19
    Final Fantasy D20

WEG ignored the possibility that Starfighter Command and Naval Command are two different things.
    Suspenders of Disbelief: For When the Harsh Weight of Reality Threatens to Drag the Trousers of Our Imagination Down to the Unforgiving Floor of Mundanity!

The citizens do not need to know what the cost is. They only need know that the mission has been accomplished.

My sole regret, as I initiate the scuttling sequence that will send my fusion pile critical, is that I will not be present in .03 seconds. I would like to watch as the Enemy try to vent an omnidirectional thermonuclear explosion into their research facility. - Bolo Unit Maldon, Mk. XXX Continental Seige Unit of the 3rd Battalion, Dinochrome Brigade.

Thread Information