Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stormtroopers are underrated!

Experienced Player

Default Stormtroopers are underrated!

I think that everyone underestimates stormtroopers. They think they are dumb, can dumb people drive speeder bikes almost as good as a Jedi? They are also scary, I mean, countered with one or two of these still mgiht put the fear of God in my heart, so I think that you should give the poor saps some credit!!!!!!!!!!!
    "It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians, not on religion, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ."
    -Patrick Henry

Wow, been gone for a while and just checking things back out....I'm open to help out with any supplements or whatever, PM me or IM me if interested.

Skilled Player

I would probably agree excepting the fact that their stats SUCK, although the Reb era book did help a little.
    And that fact they died after one shot in the movies.
    Hello

Old timer....

It's worth bearing in mind too, that we generally have only seen stormtroopers in action against our heroes in the movies, and we all know they're not indicative of the average Galactic citizen.

Equally, in game terms, when you measure a stormtrooper against a commoner(in d20 anyway), they kick tail, but next to the average (very relative term in this case) hero, they stack up less stellar.

But you're right. For the Empire's crack troops, they do fall down a little easy.

Minister of Applied Friction

I agree that they're somewhat underrated. These soldiers struck terror on the denizens of countless worlds. Yet, as pointed out earlier, they tend to drop after one shot.

The main problem, as far as the game is concerned, is that players want to be able to mow through stormies the way Han, Luke, and company did in the Trilogy. What better way to have a pack of 1st level hero wannabes take out masses of crack Imperial troops? Make them into the biggest wimps possible!

Personally, I'm hoping that with the DR rules in the RCRB, stormtroopers will stand up a little better.
    If I could sum up my life in one sentence, I think that sentence would be: He was born, he lived, and then he kept on living, much longer than anyone had ever lived before, growing richer and richer and glowing with a bright, white light.

New Player

the problem is we all are accustomed to them in the movies. the ones that after the first few min of a new hope never hit what they are aiming for. why you ask? it is a movie. they needed the storm troopers to seem like a threat, but they couldn't hurt or kill the heros could they? and who wants to see some dude in white armor be shot over and over again. but to mean this means you can really through a group of inexperianced players a fastball with some. hehehe
    Papa SIth

<::::::::::::::::::}}xxxo I feel a disturbance in the force....no wait it was just gas oxxx{{:::::::::::::::::::>

Could someone send me or detail me on those DR and other acronym things about Stormtroopers? I would be interested in anything pertaining to Stormies.

Dark Lord of the Sith and fanatical slaughterer of the innocent

To sum up a couple of points that were brought up so they aren't reintroduced as new ones:

Someone (sorry I forget who) brought up that the ewoks were beating them with rocks and sticks...

I replied about how they were big rocks and therefore would knock anyone down. Wearing armor doesn't make you immune to the effects of gravity and when a large rock slams you in the head you fall and if it happens to hit hard enough to crack your armor your head goes flat as well... at very least it would be likely to break your neck.

itty bitty living space!

darth maim, I agree with your point about the rocks. I also think the stormtroopers were hindered in that they were used to fighting in phalanx formation, like the Revolutionary British, and were stymied by the guerilla actions of the Ewoks. Lord knows if logs started flying down from the trees and scout walkers were blowing up and tipping over left and right, I'd freak out too.

Also, those Ewoks have to be craftier than they look if they can rig up traps like that -- or already did, since they couldn't have set them up that fast. Those little critters come prepared!

I also brought up the point, before the server switch, that we have no empirical evidence to show that stormtrooper armor actually has any effect beyond the decorative -- after all, pretty much all stormtroopers go down with one shot from a blaster -- there's no reason to believe, judging from the visual evidence in the movies, that they have any protective effect at all. Of course, that's something I'm willing to ignore for the sake of RPG fun.

Experienced Player

I run d20 and I've upped their stats just a tad for my campaign. There's also the combined fire option -- which is now striking some fear into my players (poor jedi don't have Deflect Blasters yet). I think if you play then intelligently -- movies and ewoks with rocks notwithstanding -- they can be a good challenge. And, of course, these guys will always have back-up -- which might prove to be more than enough to match a small party of adventurers.

The StormTrooper are the main shock troops of the empire and are absolutely stupid and loyal to the Emperor...

Experienced Player

The Stormtroopers in the CRB is a thug 3. They can pretty much handle the common man, and even a few low level soldiers. While in the movies the heroes seem to drop them at will, they are still constantly running from them. We are so used to the image of Navy Seals creeping around when we think of an elite fighting force. Stormtroopers don't sneak, they take ground in the name of their emperor one doorway at a time. Of course you are going to hit a Stormtroopers, they don't duck or dodge. They keep coming without fear of the consequences. They will always fight to the death, and that means that everybody has to pay attention when the shock troops show up.
    We never spoke. I was never here.

Registered User Terras Jadeonar & Raven's Avatar
    Twi'lek Maseuse room, Spa Resort on Ryloth

It's one thing to watch it in the movies ...

it's another thing to get into a hairy situation and the dice aren't cooperating for ya ... blaster rifles may not be acurate in rapid fire but they're bound to hit ya anyways ...

Thug3 for stormies? suppose, but ever try making them soldier 3? I always thought stormies would have been soldier class since they are imperial army after all...

Here's a thought... if the stormie's armor was actually effective at taking a few blaster shots... the heros & rebel troops never did wear any armor so blaster bolts were equally lethal to both? taken into account that the stormie armor was probably more restrictive only added to thngs... Hmm a few shots each to take out a stormie when the stormies are in large numbers ... just a tad overwhelming don't ya think?
    Last edited by Terras Jadeonar & Raven; 16 April 2002 at 07:00 AM.
    ├ 3D Art @: Star Wars Artist Guild Member GalleryDeviantArt Gallery (New!)
    ├ Websites: Co-GM of: Q:TU Rebel #2 (Status: On Hold) ● "The Camp" (Status: Offline)
    ├ RPG Info: Signature #46: My Repertoire of RPGs (Updated: 09/09/2006)
    Please, just refer to me as TJR OR Terras. thx! (08/16/08)

Dark Lord of the Law

I always thought of the Stormtroopers as more like the marines, well trained assault troops. I might make the naval troopers and regular soldier as maybe 1 or 2 level soliders or perhaps thugs. The Stromies would defently be soldiers, at either level 2 or 3. At least that's how I play them
    When its all said and done never trust the girl with the red eyes.

I find it weird that obi wan says that only stormtroopers can be so precice, and then the troopers can't hit the broad side of a barn later in the movie. Also the troopers suck in allot of the games, why is that? They spend years of their life training, only to be cut down by a jedi, blasted by a smuggler, or bashed by an ewok.

itty bitty living space!

Story reasons, really. If stormtroopers were really as fearsome and capable as their reputation, they would have slaughtered the heroes in the hallway of the detention center... no more movie.

And they suck in the video games because players want to mow them down by the dozens... like the heroes did in the movies.

I remember distinctly, when the SW Special Editions came out in theaters -- the moment when Obi-Wan said "only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise" the whole theater broke out laughing.

Thread Information