Thread: Some one Help explain this to me

New Player

Talking Some one Help explain this to me

Okay I'm not stupid lets get this out in the open but I love Star Wars (movies, comics, RPG etc.) But there is one thing I just don't get according to Lucas there is a period of six years from the Begining of A New Hope to the end of Return of the Jedi. I just can't see where so little happens in so much time.

First off at the end of Hope, even though the death star was destroyed, the empire still discovered the rebel base was on Yavin 4. And the begining of Empire the rebels just barely left Yavin for Hoth (because they are still setting up sensors and adapting speeders to be snow speeders).-I don't get how even a year could pass by. There is no way the Empire(knowing where the rebels were) didn't retaliate and attack the Yavin base for a year or two, the empire would have attacked again within a week or two at most.

Second at the end of Empire, When Luke is getting his new hand he tells Lando that he'll meet them on Tatooine. And I'm sure Luke and Leia knew that it was Jabba who had the price on Han's head,(and I'm sure Luke knew who Jabba was) so why would 2-3 years pass untill they decided to rescue him. I could see 2-3 years for Luke to complete his training, and I do take into account Shadows of the Empire, but six years seems a little long.

I'm not complaining or anything I just don't get what happened in between that took so long. If any one can help me and give me some answers then I'll happily listen.

Thanks in advancement to any who reply
    -CrazyNuts

Nerf Warrior Extraordinaire

First of all, there are only four years between A New Hope and Return of the Jedi (I'm pulling this from the Essential Chronology), Three between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, and one between Empire and Jedi. This kind of answers your second question, because there isn't so much time to fill. You have the Shadows of the Empire events, but that's probably about it.

In terms of the three year gap between ANH and ESB, the Rebellion wasn't on Yavin the whole time. In fact, they evacuated rather quickly, and not very cleanly. A few of Stackpole's X-Wing books make references to Jan Dodonna being captured during the Yavin evacuation. I also think I recall that some of the missions on the X-Wing Collector CD focusing on the space battles involved when the Empire came to snuff out the Rebels at Yavin.

After the evacuation, I assume the Alliance runs for a while. There's a brief reference to Han Solo doing something on Ord Mantell, and there's a book called Splinter of the Mind's Eye, which focuses on Luke and Leia. Yes, there is a lot of time in between, but I've always assumed its filled with the usual hit and run battles between the Alliance and the Empire.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Jedi_Staailis; 20 April 2002 at 06:18 PM.

I definitly agree. But puleeze, 3 years tween Hoth and Yavin.

New Player

Default Re: Some one Help explain this to me

Originally posted by CrazyNuts

First off at the end of Hope, even though the death star was destroyed, the empire still discovered the rebel base was on Yavin 4. And the begining of Empire the rebels just barely left Yavin for Hoth (because they are still setting up sensors and adapting speeders to be snow speeders).-I don't get how even a year could pass by. There is no way the Empire(knowing where the rebels were) didn't retaliate and attack the Yavin base for a year or two, the empire would have attacked again within a week or two at most.

I don't think Hoth was the first base the rebels used after Yavin 4. I'm not sure if they established other bases or simply moved around a lot until they picked a new location but I know, at the very least, they were stopped off at Ord Mantell for a time.

Second at the end of Empire, When Luke is getting his new hand he tells Lando that he'll meet them on Tatooine. And I'm sure Luke and Leia knew that it was Jabba who had the price on Han's head,(and I'm sure Luke knew who Jabba was) so why would 2-3 years pass untill they decided to rescue him. I could see 2-3 years for Luke to complete his training, and I do take into account Shadows of the Empire, but six years seems a little long.

Leia, Chewie and Lando didn't go straight to Tatooine. They established the background for the plan they hatched to free Han (including Leia impersonating Boussh, Lando getting hired on as a guard, Chewie establishing himself as an independent). Luke went back to Yoda and trained while they did that.

Hope that helps!
    Winter

The beginning of Empire suggests that they were on the run for some time. Han references "the bounty hunter he ran into on Ord Mantell that changed his mind" and such. Also, Luke is much more proficient with his lightsaber in the Wampa battle than he was in A New Hope...some time had to have passed to accomodate that kind of stuff.
    "Someday I will become the most powerful Jedi ever." ~ Anakin Skywalker

Retired Supreme Moff

Moving to Rebellion Era

Rebel Insurgent

On the other hand, four years to (virtually) bring down a galactic empire isn't bad going.
    The ANH-ESB period never really been covered in detail, I would guess because the old classic star wars comics are set during this time and no-one wants to work round them. Off the top of my head, some things they include are: the evacuation of Yavin; a run in with the Executor; and various encounters with bounty hunters (including Ord Mandell) that led to Han's decision to leave in ESB.
    The Rebellion Era sourcebook has a section on the post-Yavin period. It describes the Alliance high command as constantly moving, unable to find a base that hid them for more than a couple of months at most. There were also all the expected reactions, with increased repression by the Empire, more worlds supporting the Alliance (including Mon Calamari). This is one of the main periods of classic Rebel vs Imperial conflict as the Alliance tries to build up its forces, gain support and strike Imperial targets while the Empire tries to crush it with military force.
    The book describes the Empire at the end of this period as having dropped "all illusions of being a benign government".
    "You're good, but you're no Wes Janson." - Wes Janson

"You are never certain that a person will notice something but there is a good chance the person is going to have to kill it sooner or later. Therefore my padawan, never get any awareness or stealth skills, just be really good at killing." - Jedi Master Yatzi Googol Safefefe

d20 Yuppie
    Detroit, no Jacksonville, no...oh, forget it!

The Xwing books also point to an incident around the planet Derra IV, which I think occurs after Yavin, resulting in huge casualties on the Rebel side.
    If it involves Brodie and a bag of pretzels, I DON'T WANNA HEAR IT!!!

http://bagman19.blogspot.com

Rebel Insurgent

The Derra IV incident was a devastating Imperial ambush of a (presumably major) Alliance supply convoy. It occured shortly before ESB and is actually in the radio adaptation.According to Splinter of the Mind's Eye, which I think was written before ESB, Luke had a run in with Vader on the planet Mimban and (somewhat implausibly) beat him in a lightsabre fight.
    The Dark Trooper project (from dark forces) is another little side plot during the Yavin-Hoth period.
    "You're good, but you're no Wes Janson." - Wes Janson

"You are never certain that a person will notice something but there is a good chance the person is going to have to kill it sooner or later. Therefore my padawan, never get any awareness or stealth skills, just be really good at killing." - Jedi Master Yatzi Googol Safefefe

Save Ferris!

On the other hand, four years to (virtually) bring down a galactic empire isn't bad going.
    Four years actually just doesn't seem long enough to bring down the empire considering how big/powerful it was...
    "Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." - Mark Twain

Webmaster: Servais Sector, Reviewed Sites / Link Archive, SWAG

Well, you also have to remember that the victory at Endor, while a stunning succcess for the Alliance, was really merely the beginning of the end. The Empire was far from defeated at that point (at least, if you go with the majority of the EU).

Sure, the Empire lost the Emperor, Vader, the Death Star (2), and a lot of their top naval officers at Endor, but the Empire was huge. Even with lots of infighting, power struggles, and such going on, there's still a relatively strong Imperial Remnant around even in the NJO timeline.
    Chris Curtis / ICQ: 3114497 / AIM: oldarmygary
    Star Wars Artists' Guild, Servais Sector, Chris Curtis dot Org

Smile The Empire still exists!

What Chris says is very true. The Empire is/was huge. There even might be systems which still don't have the news of the death of the Emperor. And once the news hit them, many Mini-Empires rose, having warlords as head. This is pretty good described in the X-Wing Series and the novel Darksaber. And even 20 years after ANH, the Empire, or better the remnants of the Empire, for an important part of the Galaxy. The Empire also once saved the New Republic Fleet from destruction (see the Black Fleet Trilogy).

Default Re: Re: Some one Help explain this to me

Originally posted by Winter

Luke went back to Yoda and trained while they did that.
    Actually, i don't think he did. He said, after they rescued Han, that he was going back to Dagobah to keep his promise to an old friend, this promise was that he'd come back and train with yoda, he didn't do that till after the peroid between ESB and RotJ, and i think that was only about 1 year, not 3-4 years...

Four years actually just doesn't seem long enough to bring down the empire considering how big/powerful it was...
    Let's also not forget that the Alliance was already established by the time 'A New Hope' events occured. There had already been a rebellion going, perhaps since the inception of the Empire.

Thread Information