Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the hell was that?

Question What the hell was that?

In ESB, Lukes comes sliding down the chute and lands on the weather vane. Ouch. We then see something fall past him. What is it? I always though it was his boot. But it's not. It's not his hand, because Darth finds that. (At least in the books) So what the hell was it?

Skilled Player

I always thought it was part of the weather vane that got knocked off in the impact.
    "Every day for 10 years I have thought of her, and now she hardly even notices me!"
    ~Anakin Skywalker

'That's b/c you were 8 years old you obnoxious little dork!!!"
    ~Darkvet

Jedi Master & Guardian of Peace, Justice and the Okina-Rdae Technologies Forum

I have always thought that it was his blaster
    i was more like uncle luke: a human weapon, point me at the bad guys and turn me loose. i knock ‘em down and everybody cheers. - Anakin Solo Hallucination

Minister of Applied Friction

Since at the time the movie was made no one would have had any idea of a book claiming that the hand and lightsaber are recovered, it very well could have been meant to be his hand or saber or both.
    If I could sum up my life in one sentence, I think that sentence would be: He was born, he lived, and then he kept on living, much longer than anyone had ever lived before, growing richer and richer and glowing with a bright, white light.

Originally posted by FrobiWanKenobi
    I have always thought that it was his blaster

Nope, its still on his belt.

Originally posted by madpoet
    Since at the time the movie was made no one would have had any idea of a book claiming that the hand and lightsaber are recovered, it very well could have been meant to be his hand or saber or both.

Maybe, but we don't see the hand and saber lying there when the chute opens.

Thumbs up

Originally posted by darkvet
    I always thought it was part of the weather vane that got knocked off in the impact.
    Damn, that's a good theory. Let's go with that.

Jedi Master & Guardian of Peace, Justice and the Okina-Rdae Technologies Forum

I watched it again and you are right - he does still have his blaster.

Side Note for stoic_75 - You don't need to post 3 times in a row. If you want to quote more than 1 person use the quote button for the first then cut and paste in other quotes changing the author's name and the quote itself.
    i was more like uncle luke: a human weapon, point me at the bad guys and turn me loose. i knock ‘em down and everybody cheers. - Anakin Solo Hallucination

New Player

Talking

If you pause the movie at the right time you can clearly see that it's his hand. And if your argument is that Vader finds his hand in the book then maybe now there is some insight of why it was apparently cut from movie.

"AT-ST's are easy to destroy...that is if you can get through the armor, stop the guns, tangle the legs, and kill the pilot, but after all that...they're sittin' ducks!"-CrazyNuts

Save Ferris!

Besides, don't they find the hand/saber on the planet itself instead of on cloud city? I seem to remember this being the case...
    "Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." - Mark Twain

Smile Lost Hand and Sabre

--- Possible Spoilers for those not having read the Thrawn Trilogy ---

Yes, both is found. It is described in the Thrawn Trilogy. Out of the hand they made Luke's clone who uses the lightsabre which they found as well.

Talking

it was probably his lunch i know it would have ben mine after a trip like that

Bespin is a gas giant, so whatever it was that fell, it would keep falling until it reached the center of gravity, or was crushed by the immense pressure.

At any rate, in the fight scene between Vader and Luke, a lot of things get ripped up and sliced off. The object you see [should we chose to ignore CrazyNuts - no offence] could be one of those objects, or, as darkvet suggests, it could be a part of the weather vane that snapped off when Luke landed on it.

Well, I just sat down a watched it, and whatever it is, it isn't part of the weather vane. Nor is it Luke's hand.

The thing fell as Luke dropped from the hole, and you could see the object even though it had been falling for a few seconds (with a>10m/s^2). The object also looked white.

New Player

Maybe its a page from the script?

Thread Information