Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Imperial Garrisons

Skilled Player

Default Imperial Garrisons

Ok, I know in one of the old books from WEG it has some hard numbers on a Imperial Garrison... But I don't have access to any of that stuff. Was wondering if someone could help me out some as I need to know how many troops are about to be dropped on my player's heads Can anyone help me out? What would make sence for a commanding officer's rank on one too? Any ideas? Anything else to think about with garrisons, or any pics available on the net that I might be able to use?
    Roger, One. Ten, you are my wing.

Stand firm, America. Weather the storm.

Well I never played D6 and do not own any WEG books, but I do know one stat that garrisons come equipped with. I remember reading in various sources including Technical Journals, novels, websites, etc. that an Imperial Garrison contains 40 Imperial TIE Fighters. Sorry I can't help you with troop numbers, vehicle support, and commanding officer rank, but I thought I would at least share what I know.
    "You're good, but you're no Luke Skywalker."
    -Commander Wedge Antilles, X-wing: Rogue Squadron

"What is popular is not always right, and what is right is not always popular."-Proverbs

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Edmund Burke

Skilled Player

40 TIE's? Odd number. I do appriciate it though. Didn't realize they were THAT dang big!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL I do appriciate the help there though... What do you think.... A col or a cdr as the installation commanding officer though?

Stand firm, America. Weather the storm.

Since logic dictates that a commanding officer of a garrison would be high-ranking, but not very high, I would go with a Commander. Seems more plausible considering there are so many garrisons across the galaxy and Commanders are far more common than Colonels. And while I'm guessing, I would say that a Garrison's troop complement to be somewhere between 500-800 stormtroopers and its vehicle support to have around 30 walkers (10 AT-ATs, 20 AT-STs). Although those are just estimates and guesses really. I do know that 40 TIEs come with a garrison; that I know for a fact. I know it sounds weird because it seems like they would have a nice rounded squadron number like 36 or 48, but hey, what can you say? :p
    "You're good, but you're no Luke Skywalker."
    -Commander Wedge Antilles, X-wing: Rogue Squadron

"What is popular is not always right, and what is right is not always popular."-Proverbs

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Edmund Burke

Skilled Player

Very cool. I do appriciate it.

I am wondering how many Army, Navy troops and Stormtroopers that there are. Are they primarily a ground or naval instalation? I kind of think of the naval troopers as being more like Marines and thus they do regular guard duty at like embassy gates and such while stormtroopers are for hostage rescue and extreamly sensitive area guards. Of course, the Empire would probably consider hostage rescue the same as kill everyone in the room Any ideas? Thanks for the quick reply too Nova Spice!

D6 Forever!

I kind of agree with Nova Spice on the rank idea. Keep in mind that the rank of the commanding officer is probably in direct correllation with the location of the garrison. In highly populated areas with lots of responsibilities for the CO, I'd say you could easily have a Colonel or higher. In the areas where good diplomacy or good managerial skills aren't needed as much, you'd probably have something like a Commander. I definitely wouldn't go any lower, as you'd have to have someone that has enough experience in command to run the whole show...and garrisons are a BIG show.

Death Fences, security probots, walkers, speeder bikes, TIEs (both fighters and bombers), Stormtroopers and all sort of other goodies. The book that best describes garrisons is the Star Wars Sourcebook put out by WEG. If you can get it...I'd highly recommend it.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.
    facta, non verba

Skilled Player

Talking Lots!

Decide where the garrison is and what it's zone of control is, this will give you the sort of officer in charge and work back from there. Big town, big police station. In regards to the number of troops you should throw at your PCs, what do you want to achieve from the encounter? Big fight that they can win? Over whelming odds forcing them to run away? This should be the most important question you ask when you set the dogs on your characters, what do I want too achieve from this encounter in context to your story line.
    Is it hot in here...or is it just me?

Skilled Player

Well I tried the overwealming number... Well it was pretty much I thought, the buggers got LUCKy though. I am not one to screw anyone over just because the bad guys are having a bad day... BUT I want to know more from a background perspective what the local government is going to be looking at when a garrison is dropped on planet.

Skilled Player

Cool

There is a site titled the Galactic Empire Data Bank, at the following url, http://www.galacticempiredatabank.com/. This site contains lots of old WEG stats including stats on the Imperial Garrison.
    "Buu is nothing. I will bring him back dead."
    -Gotenks (Goten and Trunks fused)

Goodf site my PC's are gonna break and enter one. (Computer enrty)

Urbane Terrierist

Imperial Garrisons are almost always commanded by a Major General, erring upwards in rank.

I'm fairly sure the stats quoted in the link above don't jibe with WEG's posted stats.

I did an awful lot of research into the Garrisons for FiPFest 2000 including enhancing and completing the full layout of the damn things, and I am pretty darned sure those (stats at Databank) are not the same as the ones from WEG's SW Sourcebook.
    http://www.colonialchrome.co.uk
    False data can act only as a distraction.
    Therefore, I shall refuse to perceive.

Retired Supreme Moff

I agree with The Admiral on the commander having the rank of Major General. While there might not always be as many troops there as a Major General would usually command, they keep that level of rank there in case there is, say, an uprising and more troops are required at the garrison in order to supress it - there will a single figure with the required authority to control the forces.

Thus there is an abundance of Major Generals in the Empire
    You are young, my son, and, as the years go by, time will change and even reverse many of your present opinions. Refrain therefore awhile from setting yourself up as a judge of the highest matters.

Plato, Dialogues, Theatetus

Experienced Player

I also concur with the Admiral. A garrison contains a full corps of Imperial troops led by a major general. Consulting my WEG Imperial sourcebook, a corps contains:

roughly 48,000 total troops total.

Forty TIE fighters grouped in four flights of ten fighters each:

12 TIE Bombers (three flights or one Navy squadron)
    24 TIE/ln fighters (six flights or two Navy squadrons)
    4 TIE/rc fighters (one flight used as spotters)
    "Certain things are a matter of destiny, and certain things are a matter of choice."--Jedi Master Thon of Ambria

"To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself."-- Quote from my Sith War TPB back cover.

My dream in a future OT Special Edition: seeing TIE Advanced and TIE Defenders at the Battle of Endor.

Veteran Player

Cool

Also keep in mind that the garrison is probably the Imperial stronghold on the planet, making its commander the de facto planetary ruler. These things are meant to be dropped from orbit, quickly assembled, and then used to great effect to subjugate the world. You know, typical Imperial tactics
    'The Three Little Pigs' is just childhood propaganda for the brick industry.

"Why am I always mad? I'm Sith, you git! We're supposed to be angry!"

Urbane Terrierist

Well, one garrison is usually sufficient to act as a base of operations on relatively peaceful worlds, Imperial doctrine allows for the placement of many more if the need arises, the configuration of six garrisons in a hexagonal array being popular.

Also, the zero-G garrissons are typically deployed in pairs, one 'glued' to the bottom of the other,,,
    http://www.colonialchrome.co.uk
    False data can act only as a distraction.
    Therefore, I shall refuse to perceive.

Thread Information