Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Rebellion chronology questions

Worst usertext customization... ever.

Default Early Rebellion chronology questions

I'm running a campaign set in the formative days of the Rebellion, and I have a couple of questions that I need answered to help flesh it out;

1) When was Ackbar able to ditch Tarkin and come to the side of the Rebellion?

2) When was the X-Wing first introduced?

Any help in answering these questions is greatly appreciated, especially if you can point out source material.
    Thanks!
    Well, that's my 2 cents. Of course, with inflation, you owe me a buck.

I've relinqueshed control of my Insanity

Default Re: Early Rebellion chronology questions

Originally posted by Talonne Hauk
    I'm running a campaign set in the formative days of the Rebellion, and I have a couple of questions that I need answered to help flesh it out;

1) When was Ackbar able to ditch Tarkin and come to the side of the Rebellion?

2) When was the X-Wing first introduced?

Any help in answering these questions is greatly appreciated, especially if you can point out source material.
    Thanks!
    1) I believe Dark Saber talks about that. Ackbar had worked with the rebels to intercept Tarkins shuttle durring the construction, or near completion of the Death Star. Tarkin was in route to the site with the 'designer' (which is now in question cause of EpII, but that is besides the point) when rebel Y-wings, I think only 2 of them, but more then a match for a shuttle, disabled the shuttle, with Ackbars help sense he was piloting the shuttle. Tarkin and the designer jumped in an escape pod while the Y-wings docked and picked up Ackbar. I think he spent the next few months to years working on counter strategies to imperial strategies implemented by Tarkin, as well as organizing the Alliance fleet, and designing the B-wing. But that is an educated guess.

2) I know there was a thread on one of the other forums about what ships where in what era's, and it gave several possible dates on when the X-wing was introduced. I read in one place that it was originally designed for the empire, but the design team stole it and took it to the alliance. I never found an actual date for that. For now, the running bet is a year or so before the battle of Yavin, maybe evin earlier then that.

Also, a good source on the founding of the Rebel Alliance is the Han solo trilogy, especially that last book or two. I don't remember the author or the names of the books sense my copies where eaten, but they where a good read.
    Reality is but a figment

Rebel Insurgent

Akbar was freed by the alliance shortly before the completion of the death star, it's hard to get a more accurate time. This is featured in the X-Wing game and probably mentioned elsewhere too.

The thread on the introduction of ships is here http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/show...&threadid=7935

And finally, the Han Solo books are by AC Crispin and they're very good.
    "You're good, but you're no Wes Janson." - Wes Janson

"You are never certain that a person will notice something but there is a good chance the person is going to have to kill it sooner or later. Therefore my padawan, never get any awareness or stealth skills, just be really good at killing." - Jedi Master Yatzi Googol Safefefe

Experienced Player

Smile

According to the Star Wars Timetales website, the X-Wing was introduced about 6 years before Episode IV. This isn't official, but the Timetales website at http://www.theforce.net/timetales/ is a pretty good resource.

Mad Tech

Veteran Player

Cool

Six years seems a bit long to me. After all, Palpatine had just dissolved the Imperial Senate in Ep. IV, and while the Rebellion was known about, it wasn't widely discussed in polite conversation. I'd say the Incom engineers jumped ship about a year or two before Alderaan was slagged. After all, it was still an "insignificant rebellion".

As for Ackbar, I believe he was rescued by Rebel commandoes who were trying to whack Tarkin aboard his shuttle while en route to the Death Star (maybe still under construction?). Ackbar was a servant/pet for the wrinkled evil guy who just happened to have a gift for starfighter design and winning against impossible odds . Of course, copying Tarkin's playbook of invincible strategies might have helped...
    'The Three Little Pigs' is just childhood propaganda for the brick industry.

"Why am I always mad? I'm Sith, you git! We're supposed to be angry!"

Experienced Player

Darksaber never really gives an exact time frame for Ackbar being liberated by the Rebellion. But I always assumed it was about a year even at most two years prier to ANH. Ackbar release also signified (at least at this time) the first clues that the Death Star existed and was being built.
    Tem_Starrunner

Experienced Player

Six years before ANH sounds about right for the X-Wing, and so does the timeline for Ackbar being rescued and joining the Alliance.
    "Certain things are a matter of destiny, and certain things are a matter of choice."--Jedi Master Thon of Ambria

"To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself."-- Quote from my Sith War TPB back cover.

My dream in a future OT Special Edition: seeing TIE Advanced and TIE Defenders at the Battle of Endor.

Experienced Player

If I remember right, the x-wing wasn't in service for more than a year prior to ANH. The main reasoning is behind this is the small number of the craft a the Battle of Yavin. Some where between 12 to 24 units. Why not send a all x-wing task force. Anyone who has play X-wing: Alliance knowns, a y-wing flies like a drunken bantha.
    Pretty. What do we blow up first? -- Myn Donos

Sherman Shipyards IS BACK. Please note the new URL.

There where several instances either inthe movies or books (hopefully both) where they refered to the X-wing as an antiquated fighter. Granted, obviously not as old as the Z-95, or even the Y-wing for that matter. The reason they didn't have a full X-wing force at Yavin is probably the same reason they didn't have a full A-wing/B-wing force at Endor. Available resources. They probably couldn't get many more X-wings to Yavin in time. The Y-wings where treated as bombers, and where meant to do the dirty deed on the DS while the X-wings flew cover. Obviously almost all the Y-wings got waisted, so the X-wings stepped in. In addition, the Alliance proly had their resources spread pretty thin around the galaxy, with squadrons of X-wings, Y-wings and whatever other fighters they could get their hands on in positions to harass imperial shipping. If your that spread out, it takes time to gather sizeable forces back together. The force they had at Yavin was still pretty good size (40 to 50 fighters), and proved to be sufficient for the job.
    Reality is but a figment

Experienced Player

Your talking about the 1st return of the empeior, when the E-wing was introduced. However, by Vector Prime a new version of the x-wing was coming into proctucion that put it back on the cutting edge. At the Battle of Yavin was the best in the galaxy.

Even in the the real word miltary hardware usally last only 10 to 20 years.

That is not entirely true. Most of the high price hardware we have today has been around for twenty years at least (ok, some of it is younger, but not by a whole lot) and the way things are going, we will have it for quite some time to come. Heck, look at how old the B-52 is, and that has been around since the Vietnam War, if not longer.

Also, just because the X-wing is one of the best, doesn't mean it is the newest. Politicians and higher end officers tend to think newest is better in some weird way. thus the difference between the TIE and X-wing. the misconception may simply have come from eas of maintenance and production, where the X-wing might have been more complicated in some ways. It is one of those point of view things that, in the end, worked against the Empire.

Of coarse, the Y-wing may have been old, but it could definetly take a beating. and from what I read, the ion cannon turret had 360 degree range of fire, so, with the co-pilot (depending on the version and available personel) you could blast a pursueing fighter off your six.

Your talking about the 1st return of the empeior, when the E-wing was introduced. However, by Vector Prime a new version of the x-wing was coming into proctucion that put it back on the cutting edge. At the Battle of Yavin was the best in the galaxy.
    uhm...when did I say anything about that?
    Reality is but a figment

Experienced Player

You didn't. Just adding more context.

Thumbs down

I am sorry, I fail to see how misinterpruting what I was saying and more or less puting words in my mouth is "adding more context." Checking the other posts, no one even mentioned the first return of the emperor, or E-wings, or anything of that nature. Yes, I did mentioned some other threads that may have wondered into the DE series, but that is not here. I ask that you pay a bit more attention to what it is your posting about, as this sort of thing gives me the feeling that you don't know what you are talking about. I don't think anyone desirves to be told that or had that thought about them.
    Reality is but a figment

Experienced Player

Sorry if I offended you. I ment no harm.

MEH, no worries. I am sure there where mistakes on all sides somewhere. Anything that doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, right?

Back to subject at hand, and this probably will start making it lean more towards rumors and speculation, but what if Naboo ends up playing a major roll in the rebellion? from what I could tell Alderaan supported the Alliance secretly but didn't realy send alot of resources to help. what if Naboo decides to go into self imposed poverty to deny Palpy any funds from his home by sending all their resources to the alliance to do with as they please. would give a realistic explanation for the Naboo fighters in the Rogue squadron games

also, does anyone know when the first Rebel Assualt Frigate (the modified dreadnaughts) where first introduced? Those ships have always kinda intrigued me.
    Reality is but a figment

Thread Information