Thread: Multi-tasking Characters

Post Multi-tasking Characters

"Character Template" my blast vest!
    Anyone who's played SWRPG for any length of time knows that the job code listed on your character template goes out the window pretty fast, especially if your character is a team player. Why? Situations arise where your character has to do something that he had no clue whatsoever how to do when he left home to go on this great jolly ride. So, to keep from getting dead (or worse, wiping out half the group in the cargo hold of your own ship), you pick up other skills along the way.
    Unless you're playing your first character ever, you may have even planned it that way. For instance, my Raptor Squad character, Koort, started the game as a bounty hunter, but with good tech skills like Starship Repair, too. This has created an interesting condition for Koort, though...
    Koort is a gun-bunny. He walks around with at least 4 blasters strapped on at almost all times. Unfortunately (for Koort), he spends half his day under the hood of the Black Talon, or whatever ship we're flying this week. I have a lot of fun playing up that aspect of the character, but it does keep him from being an effective bounty hunter.

Is trying to work one character across three or four roles a good idea, or does splitting your points across several fields just slow down your character's development? What are your thoughts?
    If someone were filming my life as a movie, a vasy majority of it would be out-takes.

Webmaster: Servais Sector, Reviewed Sites / Link Archive, SWAG

I think it's things like you describe that really help flesh out characters and make them unique.

My own character, Travis Darsten, started out as a "Blockade Runner", but was not far from a clone of the Han Solo concept: gambler, pilot, etc. Over the course of our (very long) campaign, Travis has risen in rank through the Alliance and then New Republic and now commands, what was until a couple of adventures ago, the only New Republic presence in an entire Sector.

As the commander of this special operations group, he's had to cut back severely on his piloting and now routinely has to do "planning" and "mission briefings" and other things like that, which he never thought he'd be doing. He even helps run a company so he's started picking up business skills.

What started out as just another pilot/gambler like countless other 2-dimentional characters quickly blossomed into something very unique.
    Chris Curtis / ICQ: 3114497 / AIM: oldarmygary
    Star Wars Artists' Guild, Servais Sector, Chris Curtis dot Org

Skilled Player

When you very first start playing a character, it is helpful to use a template as a starting point, but I think that any good character is going to grow in whatever direction is needed. "Koort the Bounty Hunter" slowly evolves into "Koort, the gun-toting mechanic". I think if your character HASN'T evolved into something more than a template, then there's just no roleplaying going on at all.
    a.k.a. Khara Doone of Raptor Squad

Munchkin

Talking

Characters starting businesses? Thats sounds familiar

I agree...if your character isn't evolving then you really arent roll playing, you are just throwing dice. I never thought I would be playing the same character 3 years later..I'm glad I am though..he has evolved and turned into something far more interesting than just the Outlaw template I used to create him. I think that it is important though to have particular reasons why a character evolves...if you just one day decide you want your character to start hating droids for no reason, then there should be a reason leading up to that decision.

Moderator: Fan Fiction

Default Re: Multi-tasking Characters

Originally posted by Koort
    "Character Template" my blast vest!
    Is trying to work one character across three or four roles a good idea, or does splitting your points across several fields just slow down your character's development? What are your thoughts?
    Oh, I think it's a good idea. Definitely! Most players that put any thought into their background will likely come up with something that implies competency in more than one thing or area, and as your character develops, it's the learning of skills that aren't 'typical' for that type that round the character out and give him/her/it depth. And I don't know about you, but that certainly makes it more fun to play, IMO.

I remember one of my favourite characters was a young Tramp Freighter captain who had additional knowledge of other species and cultures, as well as a genuine interest in these topics academically. He was also Force Sensitive. The interest and knowledge of cultures and species opened up a couple of opportunities for the party, as well as for him as a trader and business man, and it gave them connections they could have used later on. Also, the Force thing meant the character began to develop skills as an investigator, as he searched for stories, masters (which he never found), and assorted Force 'stuff'. It's too bad that group fell apart (moving, shifting schools, new jobs, etc.). I was really starting to enjoy that character.

Urbane Terrierist

Generally I've found that if all the players are diverse, there's no problem, you advance slowly, but so does everyone else.

The most noticable multi-skilling is if a player has a gunbunny character and doesn't want to do anything else. You only really need two skills to play a gunbunny, whereas most other 'career' paths involve 5 or 6. That can rapidy become a problem. I tend to view 'only' gun bunnies as poor playing, though, and usually find some interesting and horrendous way to seriously hamper a GB character.
    http://www.colonialchrome.co.uk
    False data can act only as a distraction.
    Therefore, I shall refuse to perceive.

Thread Information