View Poll Results: What is your favorite NJO novel?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vector Prime

1 2.17%
  • Dark Tide Duology

4 8.70%
  • Agents of Chaos Duology

2 4.35%
  • Balance Point

2 4.35%
  • Edge of Victory Duology

2 4.35%
  • Star by Star

20 43.48%
  • Dark Journey

1 2.17%
  • Enemy Lines Duology

5 10.87%
  • Traitor (I hope that this poll will be around that long)

9 19.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Best and Worst Books of the NJO

Jedi Master & Guardian of Peace, Justice and the Okina-Rdae Technologies Forum

Default The Best and Worst Books of the NJO

Vote for your favorite and post the title of the book you least enjoyed.

I voted for Star by Star as my Favorite NJO book and have the Dark Tide books down for the worst of the series.
    Last edited by Frobi-Wan Kenobi; 16 July 2002 at 08:22 AM.
    i was more like uncle luke: a human weapon, point me at the bad guys and turn me loose. i knock ‘em down and everybody cheers. - Anakin Solo Hallucination

Skilled Player

Having just finished the Edge of Victory duology , I can say that i have really enjoyed all of the NJO books so far , with id say Vector Prime as my least favorite ... I feel R.A Salvatore just had alot to cover in the book , and he did a really good job for what he had to do , but the book just lagged in spots.

thats my two credits
    Brian , the frozen jedi.

"how sad that such power must be harnessed by one so obviously mislead. "

Skilled Player

Cool

I voted for Star by Star as my favorite book. By far, I won't say its the worst but it didn't quite hold my attention was the Agents of Chaos duology. Though I am impressed with James Luceno's most recent prequel book.
    "Buu is nothing. I will bring him back dead."
    -Gotenks (Goten and Trunks fused)

I voted for the Edge of Victory duology becuase it really got me interested in series after reading my least favorite book, Balance Point. That book just seemed like an unneccessary continuation of already used ideas. I really liked the Dark Tide duology, though.. I mean seeing Gavin as the leader of Rogue squadron was really cool, and i missed Corran.

New Player

I voted for Star by Star as my favorite and the Agents of Caos dualogy as my worst favorite. I didn't really like balance point as well
    There is no emotion; there is peace
    There is no ignorance; there is knowledge
    There is no passion; there is serenity
    There is no death; there is the force
    -from The Jedi Code

Stand firm, America. Weather the storm.

I voted Star by Star (hands down) as the best of the NJO! I've enjoyed every book immensely but if I had to choose a least favorite it would have to be Dark Journey. I am not a big fan of Elaine Cunningham's writing style for some reason.
    I thought Dark Tide was kicking mainly because of Corran and the Rogues and besides, its the only time the Imperials actually take action or for that part are even mentioned thus far!
    If I had to go for a close tie with SbS, it'd be Enemy Lines Duology. There was just something about Wedge being the one responsible for rekindling the Rebel Alliance flame that brought John Williams soundtrack into my mind. :p
    "You're good, but you're no Luke Skywalker."
    -Commander Wedge Antilles, X-wing: Rogue Squadron

"What is popular is not always right, and what is right is not always popular."-Proverbs

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Edmund Burke

Deranged Moff of the Periphery, nyeh!

I rather liked Balance Point. It was the first one I'd read (though I knew the general idea of NJO), and I thought it was a great summation of the atmosphere and situation of the NJO. Least favorite I have no idea...I haven't actually read any others .
    "My eyebrows are not amused."
    -Vigo Sprax

Star Wars with Style... now located at www.bigeasy.vze.com

Coming Soon - The Underworld Sourcebook!

Skilled Player

Default So Far

I would have to say the Agents of Chaos are my least favorite, however they are still all pretty good.
    Player1: "I got a 9 does that hit?"
    DM: "Uh, no. Not even close."
    Player2: "Dude, what is your to bab?"
    Player1: "Seven."
    Player2: "This is like the fifth time you've missed that goblin. Is that the die you've been using?" (points to a d20)
    Player1: "Yeah, that one."
    Player2: (picks up d20 he pointed to earlier and throws it into the hallway and hands Player1 another d20) "Here try this one. Maybe you'll stop sucking."

Three days later...
    DM (As he walks through house) Hmmm, what's this? (Picks up d20). Oh yeah (chuckle).

Strangely enough the first part of this process was repeated the next gaming session.

Dark Tide rules! Vector prime is the worst cause of poor Chewie

Default maybe I should read more.

Well, this may be due to teh fact that I have only read Vector Prime, or maybe because I am not a big fan of the force, or maybe both. I have not really enjoyed my NJO reading so far. Sure, I liked the parts where Han and Chewie were bumbuling their way around asterids and some of the fighting scenes but I am really turned of by the Vong in general.

They just seem to over the top forwhat I would have thought to have seen in SW. In fact they sounded more like something out of ST. A combination of the Borg and species 8472.

Maybe I have just not read enough, but did any of you ever get this feeling?
    The Force? Bah, who needs it! That's right. I did not like Episode 3.

In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you right now.
    - Teal’c SG SG-1

Minister of Applied Friction

I had to go with Dark Tide, because Corran is the man!
    If I could sum up my life in one sentence, I think that sentence would be: He was born, he lived, and then he kept on living, much longer than anyone had ever lived before, growing richer and richer and glowing with a bright, white light.

Worst usertext customization... ever.

I voted for Traitor as the best, although Star By Star is a close second. Traitor completely changed the way I looked at the Force, and that's why it's the top, but Star By Star had major ramifications throughout. My least favorites were the Agents of Chaos duology. I felt Han Solo was done an injustice and wouldn't have fallen so completely apart, or at least not in the way that he did. I also didn't appreciate Dark Journey very much, either. Some of it felt very rushed. Overall though, I think the New Jedi Order is awesome.
    Well, that's my 2 cents. Of course, with inflation, you owe me a buck.

Telecommunist

Balance Point, Hero's Trial and Vector Prime are my favs (in that order.)

Rebel Dream (Lord Nyax ... Ugh!) Jedi Eclipse, Dark Journey and the Edge of Victory duology I really didn't like (In that order.)

Stand firm, America. Weather the storm.

Rebel Dream (Lord Nyax ... Ugh!) Jedi Eclipse, Dark Journey and the Edge of Victory duology I really didn't like (In that order.)
    I think Nyax was in Rebel Stand, not Rebel Dream. However, I did feel that Nyax was a short-lived threat whose purpose has yet to be revealed. I suppose its too early to say that Nyax was incomplete, but as of now, yeah I'd say he was hastily written. Maybe that will change with the upcoming novels?

I've already stated that Star by Star was my favorite, but that was before Traitor came out. Now its a close tie between the two of them. Although personally, I found Rebel Dream and Rebel Stand to be at least bright spots in the generally dark NJO series, so those two are definitely up there.

Who knows, by the time Destiny's Way comes out, I may have a new favorite NJO novel! :p
    "You're good, but you're no Luke Skywalker."
    -Commander Wedge Antilles, X-wing: Rogue Squadron

"What is popular is not always right, and what is right is not always popular."-Proverbs

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Edmund Burke

Barriss Offee Devotee

I cannot vote right now because every time I try, it says 'action can't be done because session is invalid.' So I will list here instead.

My favorite was Dark Journey, especially when you include the Gamer 8 excerpt and read it with the rest of the book. I liked the book's tone, style, prose, and storyline. Characters like Sinsor Khal and Ta'a Chume provide a reminder that our galaxy has a lot of dark spots even without the Vong or the Sith. But that book wasn't hopeless, I rather liked Kyp's unlikely redemption of Jaina. Other favs of mine are Enemy Lines, Traitor, and Star by Star.

I have no least favorite. The usual suspects for least favorite, Balance Point and Dark Journey, are in my eye exceptional. A book is only bad if you can't root for all the characters. Danni, Miko, the Ryn, the Bimmiel colonists, refugees, Jedi, I can root for them all and be thinking, 'Let these guys pull it off, let them escape! win! survive!' That's why I like the series so much. So, no downer books in my opinion.
    Bariss Offee's number one fan first. Extremely inactive lurker second.

I'm still the Bariss Offee Devotee!

Thread Information