Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 1001 Generic Plot hooks/Clifhangers

Default 1001 Generic Plot hooks/Clifhangers

Just include a number and era if it is era specific.

1. A man approaches the PC's and offers them some credits if they were to go to his homeworld and investigate some murders. Upon getting to the planet however no one knows of any murders but insists that they should stick around for the Festival of Fire the following day. If they look for a graveyard they dont find one but instead find a deep firepit with ashes and a semi melted ring on a piece of bone.

2. Upon reaching a city known for being on the wrong side of the law most of the citizens ignore the players citing that they wish not to know someone who is going to be "purged form life". Unknown to the pc's the only way to get accepted into this society is to defeat a member of the assassin's guild that is assigned to each new entry to the city.
    Last edited by Kas'ir Faywind; 9 August 2002 at 03:31 PM.
    Ends don't justify the means.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
    --John Stuart Mill

I've relinqueshed control of my Insanity

Default What the...

Those are intersting, but...I have to ask...

What is a Plook? And why would they have a hook?
    Reality is but a figment

3. (Any Jedi era).. Standard-Dark-Jedi [TM] messes about on a planet of GM's choosing.. PCs go to investigate, showdown ensues.

4. (Best in Rebellion era).. The Empire/evil coorperation has something shady going on in system X.. PC's are charged with the task of investigating. They figure out that new devastating weapon/starship/tech is being developed and they must steal plans/capture prototype/destroy reseatch facility

5. Random high level character has been captured by some evil forces (pirates/empire/coorperation), PC's are tasked with freeing said prisoner..

6. (pre-empire is best) A little more non-fighting hook.. Players are charged with being the "First Contact" for a non-spacefaring planet. They arrive and find that the planet is inhibited by two very different cultures. One is highly developed and peacefull, the other is not that developed and is very aggressive. Point is that the latter race holds all the valuable resources, but the peacefull ones are the most civilised. The players are charged with trying to get the cultures to speak together and decide on a common voice towards the rest of the galaxy..

I'll have more later - must sleep now!

/Blaznee

Default Re: What the...

Originally posted by Zanus
    Those are intersting, but...I have to ask...

What is a Plook? And why would they have a hook?
    That would be me thinking too fast for my hands, thnx i fixed it

btw i like number 6

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
    --John Stuart Mill

7.(Best if non rebellion) Important Military/Political leader gets assasinated and there are worries of a cover-up. PC's are then assigned to guard the recently dead's brother, who happens to have a deep boston accent, who is going ot try to succeed his brother.

8. PC's ship breaks down on some random planet. When they dock in the city they find half the parts they need to take off in one city and the rest are in a rival city(parts are marked with city manufactuer). They must arrange peace amoung the cities if they ever want to leave.

--John Stuart Mill

Experienced Player

Hmmm...good Star Wars generic plot hooks. I prefer to use NPCs alot more than situation, as I prefer NPCs and PCs to "generate" sitautions more often than having me plan them all out. It's this "interaction" that fascinates me most about RPGing.

9. "Scamble for the Creds" PCs are in a cantina, public seedy place, anywhere there's halfway greedy folk. A dyig Patron enters the room and imparts his final words of a fortune to the on-looking crowd. (Try to do this at a time the PCs are hard up for cash and they happen to pretty capable of getting to said treasure) While the PCs make a bee-line, so do several other greedy patrons...fights, chases, and other debauchery ensues.

10. "Creep-Fest" A cargo-shipment of microbes, soil, and plants turns out to be infested with bone worms. The PCs don't find out till much later when the little beasties have infested the ship. Run the game creepy, there's is an internal power shortage as a couple of the worms chewed through conduit, so lights are dim eevrywhere. Have fun with them, lot's of spot checks, unseen bits and noises that scramble away when they chase. Corner/ cealing/floor atacks, discovery of the things as one or two are killed, then a swarm eventually attacks the only "food" left on the ship...
    "Back off man, I'm a scientist." -Bill Murray, Ghostbusters.

"Let me talk to him! I speak crazy!"-Bruce M. Wang, Spycraft: Wheelman.

Webmaster: SWRPGNetwork Conversions

Well, I've always prefered the:
    11. "Man stumbles out of the bushes, clutching a datapad with a big blaster burn on his back. 'You must keep this from . . . Them!' he stammers with his last breath. Thats when the army of Stormtroopers/Battle Droids/Bounty Hunters show up and start shooting at the characters.

What's in the datapad? Who knows - letters of transit, death star plans, list of rebel contacts, the local Hutt's recient gambling history. By the time the shooting stops, the GM will have had time to think of something.
    Last edited by Grimace; 2 November 2002 at 11:37 AM.
    -Tony
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Come look at at my new obsession
    ----> http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonyjcase/
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

12. Planet is struck with a plague and the only known cure was on a shipment to the planet was hijacked (make it rare enough that payment is too much to get enough for second shipment) People who hijacked it are asking for high ransom.

--John Stuart Mill

Armed and Dangerous

13. (Rote Era) Players are given the opportunity to become body guards for an Ambassador to a planet where the populace is very weary of weapons and war. They are all pacifists, however still, there is rumor that the Ambassador may face assassination by an agent (offworlder) of a government (past diplomatic mission) which has anti-Republic sentiments. Players will fork over their specialized armor and blasters for blue cloaks and hold-out blasters to make the pacifists more at ease. This also goes for Jedi, who would make excellent bodyguards in this era. A Jedi will not have a lightsaber present, for it upsets the Regent and his people. They are sitting ducks with almost no way to retaliate from a ranged attack......this will force them to think critically if they opt to take this rather difficult and dangerous mission.

14. (Any Era where a Hutt can call upon butt kickers) This mission can be done by the biggest-baddest-blaster-toting-nunchuch-swinging type, or by the poorly armed and highly skilled techno geek......I think it would appeal to just about anyone, for a Hutt has called for Mercenaries and Bounty Hunters to hear his grievances about being double crossed by a certain Etti. This Etti has rather large mansion on Rodia on the outskirts of Equator City. The sweltering hot grounds of the mansion are guarded by battle droids while the inside of the complex is guarded by the wealthy Etti's hired Rodian goons. The mission is to sneak in or blast in (or both up to a certain point) and retreive a casche of disks which are very...very....very important to the Hutt. The Hutt has ordered that this Etti not be killed, so players will have the task of just trying to get in and get the disks by sneaking and blasting their way through the droids and goons. This might not be that much of a challenge for the veteran war dog, but with a techno-geek slicer in the party, one can take a peek at these mysterious disks and a very important new plot hook appears before the mercenaries' eyes: The Hutt is a Rebel Sympathizer! Yes way! The characters can either complete this mission for the Hutt, or go looking for a local Moff, Inquisitor, ISB agent or whatever and try and claim their reward......I think it might be a better idea for the mission to go the way for the Hutt though..

I can think of more, I will share them later.

Cool

10. "Creep-Fest" A cargo-shipment of microbes, soil, and plants turns out to be infested with bone worms. The PCs don't find out till much later when the little beasties have infested the ship. Run the game creepy, there's is an internal power shortage as a couple of the worms chewed through conduit, so lights are dim eevrywhere. Have fun with them, lot's of spot checks, unseen bits and noises that scramble away when they chase. Corner/ cealing/floor atacks, discovery of the things as one or two are killed, then a swarm eventually attacks the only "food" left on the ship...
    Liquidsaber, this idea is awesome. It reminds me of some of my days playing and running Call of Cuthulu.
    This could freak a group out if done properly. To get the players in the mood add some simple props. This will highten their feelings of paranoia quickly and add tension to the game.
    1) Play mood music in the background. Hit the library for some classic instrumentals with sounds that set a lonely tone. You might have to burn a CD of a group of tunes you want to use and have them keep repeating throughout the game.
    2) Dim the room lights for effect, provide little flashlights if people are not able to see their papers, this adds to their helplessness.
    “Success does not occur through spontaneous combustion, to succeed you have to set yourself on fire.” –The Wise Old Jedi

I've run some pretty creepy adventures that my PC's actually quite enjoyed.. I guess some of them could be written up here as plot hooks..

One had some homemade vampire types which were the result of genetic engeneering. They had like 3 stages, with the first being cannon fodder, and the last being pretty damn scary.. The thing that really made it scary for the PC's were the settings ofcourse, and then the small fact that the bastards couldn't be shot unless you hit them in the head and at least mortally wounded them (this was back in the D6 days).. Freaked the PC's out mucho..

Another one was inspired by the Space Hulk tabletop game.. The characters got a bodged set coordinates and end up in deep space where they have a sensor contact with a huge derelict spaceship.. Or seemingly derelict.. The sensors show lifereadings.. Going on board the ship to try and figure out what's going on they find themselves trapped by "Genestealers".. Big monsters with ferocious melee attacks come from everywhere and the PC's have to fight their way out..

/Blaznee

This idea could also work very well for a campaign or super adventure

15. The player characters somehow inherit/steal/discover a very, very old scroll on which is inscripted the location of an infamous pirate's (or looting smuggler, jedi, or even a warlord like Xim the Despot) stronghold, which also happens to be full of a huge amount of treasure. This could be the big break for the heroes if they are down on credits.But, another organization/Black Sun/Empire/bounty hunters know about the map and will track down the heroes to get it. Now, a single adventure can be a grand, cross- galaxy trek campaign. It's fun to make the map encyrpted or a find-the-clues-as-you-go sorta thing. Or have the enemy steal the map and have the characters steal it back again.Or once they get to the location, they have to fight off ancient war droids, sith machinations, or find an unsuspected reward other than treasure at the stronghold. Lots of possibilities with this one.

Originally posted by LiquidSaber
    Yeps...I'm using this...thanks this is great. My PC's actually just ecountered bone worms not too long ago. One worm actually began burrowing itself into a PC's leg. The PC cut the thing out of his leg before failing his fortitude save and passing out. It was a hoot to watch as the PC's partner attempted dragging him out of the sewers and away from the pursuing boneworms.

Default NJO

This is best for a NJO campaign with Jedi PC's...

16. The PC's lured by the promise of fancy jedi artifacts attempt to sneak into an abandoned temple, cave, etc...thing is the locals consider the place a holy burial site. Be it beasties or angry locals the PC's manage to get away only to have the whole ordeal used against them by Borsk Fey'la as a prime example of Jedi grave robbers and why the Order is out of hand. Provides a mission and shows the PC's that perhaps those that condemn the Jedi Order aren't completely wrong. Might even have them brought before the Senate by Fey'la and questioned. Way to get them to hate the "man".
    Last edited by NilAdmirari; 16 August 2002 at 01:09 PM.

BTW this is a great idea for a thread. It'd be great if we could get SWRPG to have Submitted plot hooks. Have them organized by type. Could be a one stop place for GM's looking for a session.

Thread Information