Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1001 Generic Plot hooks/Clifhangers

That is a nice one i like that a lot. Keep them coming all you want.
    Ends don't justify the means.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
    --John Stuart Mill

Editor in Chief, Online Journal

28.) "The Darkest Night": This plot revolves around the cold, dead world of Cygeas 5, a super computer, and the mysteries of a virus that seems to be infecting outer rim stations. It is meant to be dark, and players should be kept on the edge of their seat. It works best with a Medic (SWGAMER 10), or any characters with Treat Injury; although it will fit well with any party.

Well, this was just going to be a normal plot hook...but I started typing and just didn't stop until a while later. So, here it is as an attachment.

I would appreciate any comments you might have on this one. I think it's not too horribly bad....although I kept it kind of open-ended, so it could actually see use within a campaign.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Subscribe to the Online Journal!! SUBSCRIBE ME
    A publication designed for the gamer in all of us!!
    Contact the staff: journal@starwars-rpg.net

Originally posted by AxiustheDark
    Well, this was just going to be a normal plot hook...but I started typing and just didn't stop until a while later. So, here it is as an attachment.
    Actually its more of a cliffhanger now

After reading a little bit of it I like this situation a lot it will probably help fill this lvl 7-10 gap i currently have in my campaign.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
    --John Stuart Mill

Don't worry about the cliffhanger......"The Darkness Spreads" should take care of that. If you want that one, too. Oh, and I know, there is never enough mid-level stuff out there.

Post The EGG

29) The EGG:
    After the last adventure the party finds itself relaxing at one of their haunts, a pub, a hanger, a library, etc, someplace with access by others. A weak out of breath NPC of some kind, comes barreling into the place and than through or into the party at a run trying to get away from what ever is chasing him/her. The NPC is polite, apologizes, gets up and moves on quickly through the group to the exit at the other end of the place. As the players ready themselves for the pursuers of the NPC they wait, but no one comes barging in after this NPC. When things settle down the group now sees an egg shaped item on the floor. It is silver and about the size of a large chicken egg and is hard as a rock.
    The adventure begins. What will they do with this egg thing? Return it by trying to find the NPC who dropped it? See what it is worth on the market? See if they can find out what it is? See if they can find who was chasing the NPC? Leave it where they found it for others to find?
    The NPC who dropped it can be a thief, a fugitive, a rebel spy trying to evade capture, an imperial plant, a double crossing henchmen, a regular citizen thrown into the world of adventure by circumstance, etc. The egg thing could be a trick, a trap, nothing special, or the whole enchilada to this adventure. The egg it self can be anything you want an exotic creatures egg, as special seed, a special message container, a valuable gem or mineral, a special homing device, a bomb, a key or just a lucky rock. There can be no one chasing the NPC, they only are using the chase effect as a ploy, or there is local security looking for them or organized crime is after them or the Empire or the Rebellion or anyone you think will move your story.
    “Success does not occur through spontaneous combustion, to succeed you have to set yourself on fire.” –The Wise Old Jedi

30. An interesting idea might be to make the NPC delusional...say the PC's catch up to him, he tells them this crazy story about how so and so is after him, how this "egg" might just be the ingredient needed for a cure to one of the Empires (or whoevers) viral weapons. After several instances of the NPC darting away because he "saw" something the PC's should get the idea. This man they've been protecting carries a worthless egg from an animal native to a planet less than an hr away by hyperspeed. Nobody is chasing him, and he's not part of any conspiracy...a lovely red herring.
    Last edited by Grimace; 2 November 2002 at 11:56 AM.
    I sing like an amputee, can't hold a note, can't carry a tune.

Default Nice stuff here...

15. The player characters somehow inherit/steal/discover a very, very old scroll on which is inscripted the location of an infamous pirate's (or looting smuggler, jedi, or even a warlord like Xim the Despot) stronghold, which also happens to be full of a huge amount of treasure. This could be the big break for the heroes if they are down on credits.But, another organization/Black Sun/Empire/bounty hunters know about the map and will track down the heroes to get it. Now, a single adventure can be a grand, cross- galaxy trek campaign. It's fun to make the map encyrpted or a find-the-clues-as-you-go sorta thing. Or have the enemy steal the map and have the characters steal it back again.Or once they get to the location, they have to fight off ancient war droids, sith machinations, or find an unsuspected reward other than treasure at the stronghold. Lots of possibilities with this one.
    Han actually did this, in his adventures in the Corporate Sector. Went after Xim the Despot's "ancient treasure vault". Fought these giant robot things, went through a whole lot of rigmarole.
    Treasure turned out to be a whole load of obselete armor plating material. There were other things, artwork, etc. but mostly it was these metal chips that were mass produced currently, but apparently the metal made the best ship armor to be had in Xim's time.
    Have to remember that for D&D: The PC's go after an ancient treasure...from millenia ago...that turns out to be worthless.

Veteran Player

AxiustheDark, that was a damn good read. If i was to change anything, i would make it spookier, and instead of droids attacking, have zombies/skeletons. And to make things interesting, a fluctuating ion field around the planet, that fries electronics, disrupts them or does jack to then (every time the ship/item encounters the field, roll 2d. 2-5 fried. 6-10 disrupted, 11 and 12, nothing).
    You cannot dodge it if you don't know it is coming, and you cannot shoot at what you don't know is there!

Thanks, Wolverine. I promised you guys that the second installment of that was coming, and it is. I have just been busy with the NRESB Preview. But, "The Darkness Spreads" is coming.

And to make things interesting, a fluctuating ion field around the planet, that fries electronics, disrupts them or does jack to then (every time the ship/item encounters the field, roll 2d. 2-5 fried. 6-10 disrupted, 11 and 12, nothing).
    That is a really good idea. The computers and planet itself would have to be immune to this, so that they would still be operational. The ion field would also have to keep communications from going out. It would make the game seem a lot more tense. The players would have to will their way out of there.

Veteran Player

Have the ion field be tied into the atmosphere, so it does block out going comms, incoming sensor sweeps and ships passing through it, but as it is up there, the droids and computer are unaffected...
    You cannot dodge it if you don't know it is coming, and you cannot shoot at what you don't know is there!

I have just been busy with the NRESB Preview.
    Could we get a possible date on when the preview might be out? I'm so friggin hyped for this thing. The most impressive undertaking by the SWRPG community? Anyone know how I might be able to get in? Even if its just art work or something? I'm a pretty decent artist myself.
    I sing like an amputee, can't hold a note, can't carry a tune.

Luminous being :)
    3rd rock from the Sun, on a small piece of land of Western Europe called France!

Adventure hooks and plots... Hmmm... First, I'll start with this here Only the 1st 3 are up and running...

If the Force is life, how can there be life without the Force? -- (Vergere)

Making an error is not the problem! Not learning from it is -- (Jedi Knight Sarin Yavok)

Your abilities are not to be shown off! Do you show off the fact that you've learned to walk? -- (Jedi Master Lumi Kioshe)
    -----------------------

Our Corner of Space

Originally posted by NilAdmirari

Could we get a possible date on when the preview might be out? I'm so friggin hyped for this thing. The most impressive undertaking by the SWRPG community? Anyone know how I might be able to get in? Even if its just art work or something? I'm a pretty decent artist myself.
    Can i please ask you not to hijack this thread espeacially one that is sticky.

as for another plot hook.

32. Have a diner where they need to go to gather some info on tasks that they are doing or need a job to do in general. However after they get paid and return back that person is missing. Have this keep happening until they start catching on and then have the last person(not nessisarly in the bar but that you will use for plot hooks) give them a task thats a trap. It seems he has been kidnapping these people to figure out the best job to "float their boat" and is actually envious/wants a bounty for them. This could be better if they do not catch on
    Last edited by Grimace; 2 November 2002 at 11:57 AM.

--John Stuart Mill

Cool

33) This is the correct number according to the copies of each plot idea I have added to my GM journal. Of course this takes into account that the added ideas to a main idea are a sub number under the original plot. Enough said.
    My plot idea is really just a group of events in a game I ran a few years back. The group was all members of a fighter group of the Alliance in the rebellion era after the Battle of Endor (like Rogue Squadron; yeah that’s where I got the idea). I setup a special offer to gear characters to an Ace Fighter level to begin play. A couple of players chose not to gear up and became members of the fighter groups supply and rescue team. They are in control a stock freighter and the rescue gear. The supply element turned into a good side adventure and hook starter. Everyone should play a supply sergeant once. The other players became members of the fighter group and each had an X-wing and Astromech droid. The fighter group structure was a good way for me to handle this group and it helped setup missions on nights I was not ready for a main plot element. And like Rogue Squadron this group also did some covert operations. They rescued an informant captured on an Imperial friendly planet by the locals. They arrived and infiltrated the locals lock up before the Imperial Special Interrogation Unit arrived to get their hands on him. He than dropped a good deal of info into their lap, some useless to them, but a few tidbits about a cloning attempt of the Emperor and a possible location for one of the secret labs working on the project. This was the main plot line for the rest of this campaign. Find and destroy the secret labs and try and stop the project. The main villain was a Moff and he had two scientists in control of the project and they became my main antagonists for the characters. They always had plenty of stormtroopers or droids to throw at the player characters and managed to escape capture. Both were useless at fighting anyway, but as leaders of the project and the units assigned to protect them they were formidable. Also they liked to leave scientific booby traps and multi meaning clue puzzles for their rebel hunters to deal with.
    Also as a side adventure during this campaign I had two of the fighter pilot characters as sisters since they were sisters in real life it made the role-playing easier. I work with them on their backgrounds and used it as a sub-plot to the main adventure. They both left their home world at different times. The older sister ran away at a young age to find adventure and learn to pilot. She hitched with a friendly freighter pilot who showed her the ropes. After a decade of running cargo she hitched up the Alliance and succeeded at becoming a fighter pilot. Her younger sister stayed home and help the family run their mining business. Soon the sector became important to the empire and so did the family mine. The mine was claimed for imperial use and the family was left to help manage the mine in conjunction with their overseer assigned by the planet governor. It became a life of toil and burden for the family. Seeing their workers abused and put in danger as production quotas increased without the additional investment to upgrade and man the additional requirements. The father had heard the older daughter had join the Alliance and hoped to get her a message to see if she can somehow get the Alliance to help them. The remaining daughter understood this and planned her escape. She managed to get off planet in a regular passage shuttle. Some pirates captured the shuttle and she ended up joining their cause. She worked her way up to a respected pilot in the group. They had been directing their efforts toward the Empire, but know that the rebels were entering the sector they also started to prey on their shipping. They needed to be stopped so, you guessed it, and the player characters squadron was sent out to stop them. They had a starship fight and most of the pirates were captured including the sister. She was given a reprieve if she join her sister’s squadron and was overseen by her. So this led to the info on the family mine situation. The fact that the Alliance was heading in that direction and the main Admiral of the area was a mean SOB. He had burned several planets already in his retreat. So the group planned a rescue of the people at the mines and get Admiral at the same time.
    It was a great game. We still talk about it sometimes.
    Last edited by Grimace; 2 November 2002 at 11:58 AM.
    “Success does not occur through spontaneous combustion, to succeed you have to set yourself on fire.” –The Wise Old Jedi

Jedi Knight Who Says NI

Post "Cthulhu meets Event Horizon"

34. In one game I ran I had an abandonned starship orbiting a black hole. It was a safe, stable orbit but still close enough to go through the eddies and space/temporal turbulence that exists around black holes. What happened was that the ship's computer had been affected by these space/time ripples and made it SENTIENT (Why Not?). There was no clear evidence as to how the crew died - but they were all dead. What was fun about the adventure was I had the entire party flinching at every shadow. Also I restarted it intentionally because the ship slipped through an eddy and shunted the group back about six hours. They had to reboard the ship... IT WAS SO COOL! Also I changed how the crew died just to really mess with their minds. Eventually the ship contacted the group through a monitor screen and was asking them to be freed into another ship - the one they were on was too damaged to do anything with. The group refused then the ship got upset and started doing things. Channelling the group by locking out hatches, activating interior defenses, playing with life support systems and wotnot. It was really fun!
    Last edited by Grimace; 2 November 2002 at 11:58 AM.
    There is nothing to see here *waves hands* return to your homes.

Thread Information