Thread: Posters in a thread

Question Posters in a thread

What would you think of the idea of having a list appear at the side of every discussion (visible only after entering the thread) showing all members who posted a reply to the thread? It could appear in a box below your usual Site Donations advert, and it would just show "Members who posted a reply are: Moridin, Armage... etc."

And maybe if you click on a member's name in that box, rather than opening the member's profile, it would just zap you over to that member's reply. That way you'd be able to see what Mister LiquidSaber said to this discussion, or the like.
    RND(axe)

I stun the Wookiee!

DLOS WebMaster

Post Idea

I think the first part had been cool!

But the second part is more trouble then it's worth...
    Now I Am The Master!!!

WebMaster Dark Lords Of the Sith: Your Number One Star Wars RPG Resource (Currently homeless...)

Online Journal Managing Editor ***By the community... For the community!***

Well, that's a great idea. But then you would run into the problem of... What if a person has posted more than once in that thread? Which post would it take you to? Or which post SHOULD it take you to?

The Great Matt Richard

And remember that not everyone has that sidebar (like me), so maybe if it was put at the top of the thread (kinda where a poll would go). I dont know, would be cool to see if that could happen.
    Dark Lords of the Sith Webmaster
    Click here!
    Email: thebassboy85@yahoo.com

Originally posted by scottyboy
    Well, that's a great idea. But then you would run into the problem of... What if a person has posted more than once in that thread? Which post would it take you to? Or which post SHOULD it take you to?
    OK, that's a good point. DUNNO. Arguments could be made for either way: the first post by that person or the last post by that person...

...or maybe that IS more trouble than it would be worth. But it would be cool.
    RND(axe)

I stun the Wookiee!

After reading this, I sat down and thought about it for a minute. It would be possible. They could have a list of names in the side bar. And when you click on a person's name it just list all of their posts, like when you do a search by name in the forums search. That would be a pretty good idea. I also think that it would be a good idea to do somewhat of the same thing with all of the attached files. Something that would bring up all the attachments by a certain person. That would help if you were looking for a certain picture that one of the SWAGGERS has done. Or a particular file, or something like that. I think it could be done. Might be more work than our esteemed web-master has time for though. I don't know. With or without this stuff, this board is still awesome!

Webmaster: Servais Sector, Reviewed Sites / Link Archive, SWAG

As someone a bit more familiar with the amount of effort that would be required to bring suggestions like this to realization, I have to say that I don't think it would be worth the effort that would be required.

It's certainly not a bad idea, but I (personally, at least) don't think I'd find all that much use in it.

I can say that it almost certainly would cause pages to load more slowly and also put more strain on the server (due to increased database calls and such). I think everyone would agree that we'd rather not put more strain on the server than we have to.

Of course, I could be completely wrong in this and/or Armage may decide that it's worthy of his attention and efforts. Don't let me rain on your parade.
    Chris Curtis / ICQ: 3114497 / AIM: oldarmygary
    Star Wars Artists' Guild, Servais Sector, Chris Curtis dot Org

Former Webmaster

It actually could be done with one extra call, as far as I can see. It would only apply to the specific page you're viewing, though (IOW, if you're viewing a multipage thread and are on page two, it would only show the list of names for those whose posts are on page two). It would probably look like this:

Random Axe - #1
    OverLord - #2
    scottyboy - #3
    Matt Richard - #4
    Random Axe - #5
    scottyboy - #6
    Chris Curtis - #7
    Armage Bedar - #8

All it would be is a link that would take you to an anchor on the current page. (For those who are more HTML-inclined, each post has an anchor with a number: <a name="1138">, for example; each link above would look like this: <a href="#1138">, depending on the post linked.)

I'm not sure if it would be worth the time to code, but I'll see how popular it is. And it would almost certainly be located on the sidebar, since the top is as cluttered as I really want it to be right now.
    - Grayson "Armage" Shepard
    The STATS Man & Private Citizen
    Have you checked the FAQ?

Sith Chick, 1ST HotShot Quiz Centurion, and Master Lurker
    Searching for warmth in the cold darkness of Lurkerdom ...

OH WOWZA ... this would make those long threads like the Hotshot Quiz alot easier to navagate in ... and it would be interesting for other threads too ... I'm for it ... and so is FlipDog
    "Anger, Fear, Agression. The dark side are they!"
    Vixen~of~Venus
    "A woman with a lightsaber!! Run boys! RUN!!!"
    "Roll for initiative Monkeyboy!!"

That would be awesome Armage! Thanks!

Thread Information