Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drugs in the SW universe?

Moderator: Rumours and Speculation

Default Drugs in the SW universe?

Okay, this is much like the other threads that have been posted on food and buildings . Can anyone shed any light on the drugs used in the Star Wars universe?

I’ve heard of two:
    Spice (various types) – the most potent type is glitterstim (I believe) from Kessel, and reportedly gives minor telepathic abilities for a short duration. Other lesser types just “open your mind”.
    Ryl – from the planet Ryloth (the Twi’leks home world). I have no idea about it’s affect or much else about it.

And, of course, theres the farcical "Wookiebackie" mentioned elsewhere...

Any info is appreciated .

Thanks,

Jon
    Last edited by Wedge in Red2; 11 October 2002 at 05:11 AM.
    "What the hell are you waiting for?"
    Encore - Jay Z feat. Linkin Park

Board Lurker and Thread Pouncer

Default Arconians

Arconians, the weird guys with triangular heads, can easily get addicted to salt. It apparently is an hallucogen for them...

Jedi Princess

There are 2 others I can think of offhand.
    1) Glitterryl[sp?]: A combination of--you'll never guess!--Glitterstim & Ryl. In addition to whatever recreational effects it has, repeated &/or overdosages (not sure which) cause severe longterm (but not necessarily permanent) memory loss. This makes it very handy to use on someone who is a problem, but not as big a problem as the consequences of killing them would be--ie, Jedi. See the Dark Horse graphic novel Twilight.

2) Salt (yes, I'm really talking about good ol' table salt, sodium cloride, NaCl): NaCl is a very addictive & dangerous drug* for Arconans--even shortterm use renders their bodies permanently unable to use Dactyl, an ammonia compound they must have to survive. Therefore, importing it to Arcona or its colonies is a major crime in the Prequel & earlier eras. IMHO, this law might have been repealed or just not enforced during the Empire era, as Palpatine cares even less about aliens than he does about humans/near-humans. The current Alien Anthology entry for Arconans discusses it, & probably any other sourcebook with an entry on Arconans (d6, d20, or even non-RPG)
    *Note: Alternatively, in the "Young Adult" novel Jedi Apprentice#1: The Rising Force, it is described only as a poison--but that is undoubtedly due to the fact that Scholastic & LucasBooks quite rightly didn't want drug abuse in a SW book written for younglings.

BTW, if you or anyone else has info on medical drugs, other than bacta, please post it. I can use it for background.

Unrelenting Escapist

Default Effects of Ryl

If I remember correctly, Ryl enhanced a person's awareness for a short time, then, when they came off the drug, they were left sort of "out of it." So it enhances the senses, but after it wears off, it dulls the senses.

well drugs technicly are a poisen

deathsticks are probably drugs. i dont know what effects they would have though.
    War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Narcotics
    t'bac
    glitterstim spice
    ryll spice (illegal, 1 metric ton is valued at over 35,000 credits)
    kassoti-spice
    death sticks (treated Ixetal cilona extract that offers euphoria in exchange for a shortened life)

Kessel (glitterstim mining)
    Nar Shaddaa (glitterstim production)
    Mon Gazza (Galactic Spice Mining Guild)
    Chryya (thriving spice business until Darth Maul tried to turn it over to the Trade Federation)

slythmongers: narcotics peddlers who traffic wares for disbarred pharmacists

Time-displaced Jedi and retainer of the Seven Jedi Holocrons.
    If there is a bright center of the universe, I'm on the planet that is farthest from it.

Originally posted by BrianDavion
    well drugs technicly are a poisen
    So all drugs are poisons?? What about Asprin or the drugs they give HIV patients to retard the process, like Erving "Magic" Johnson; are they poisons too??

In our game we have used deathsticks as cigerettes or cigars. Any other narcotics my GM just makes up a name and then we roll on. Seeing that SW is family oriented I doubt we will hear too much about SW Narcotics (unless of coarse, they are talking about behind the scenes, during filming )
    Be like water.
    Let no form be your form.
    Let no limitation be your limitation. - Bruce Lee

Jedi Princess

Originally posted by Kobayashi_Maru

So all drugs are poisons?? What about Asprin or the drugs they give HIV patients to retard the process, like Erving "Magic" Johnson; are they poisons too??
    Actually, yes. Take chemotherapy agents for cancer. The traditional (older) agents are toxic to all cells (that's why they have unpleasant side effects), but is more toxic to cells which are dividing--and cancerous cells do a lot more dividing than "normal" cells. Therefore, in the correct dosage, the agent will kill (hopefully) all the tumor cells, but only a few normal cells. And it will be similar for HIV drugs--I just don't know enough about how they work to address them specifically. Any medical drug is a poison--it depends on dosages, among other things. Even aspirin--it can cause internal bleeding, and make children more susceptible to Reyes' Syndrome (a rare & nasty complication of viruses), & those 2 are just off the top of my head.
    To bring this portion a little closer to the original topic, I think whoever created the Arconans must have taken the same toxicology course I did. We had a guest lecturer from the Poison Control Center who gave us a handout with about a dozen scary-sounding scenarios they got calls about & asked which ones were emergencies. Only one was--& we all missed it--a toddler who ate about 3 tablespoonsful of salt!

[i]In our game we have used deathsticks as cigerettes or cigars. Any other narcotics my GM just makes up a name and then we roll on. Seeing that SW is family oriented I doubt we will hear too much about SW Narcotics (unless of coarse, they are talking about behind the scenes, during filming ) [/B]
    True, and that's the way I prefer it--well, I hope the people involved in the films steer clear, too. So far the only drugs that have shown up in my game are whatever's in my NPC Jedi Healer's medical bag. You'll notice, I was the one who wanted more medical drugs!
    Actually, all the drug references in SW are EU, with the exceptions of death sticks & spice. In the case of spice, you can't tell just from the movie dialog that it might be something other than cooking spices that were being mined

Default Does truth serum count?

In Cracken's Rebel Field Guide there are two types of truth serums listed: the Bavo Six and the OV600. According to the text the latter is the more potent.

Heya,

In the first book of the Han Solo triliogy, there's a brief bit of exposition descriping the various forms of spice they're processing on ylesia. I keep a copy of it handy, just for referance.

Glitterstim, as previously stated, is mined on Kessel, and processed else where. Glitterstim comes from the webbing of giant spiders native to kessel. It induces a brief, euphoric, telepathic state. Its activated and starts to break down by/in light, so all glitterstim production and storage is done in the dark. Long term users tend to start getting paranoid, 'specially if they can't read your thoughts for some reason. During the Empire era, all glitterstim is the property of the Empire, hence why its so valueable to smuggle.

Ryll, is mined on Ryloth. It's primary purpose is medicenal, but it can be processed into several falvors of intoxicants and hallucenigenes. If you feed ryll to to the Gliterstim spiders, it produces Glitterryll, which destroys memories.

Carsunum, is a rare black spice that comes from the world of Sevarcos. It causes euphoria, and an increase in abilities. You become stronger, faster, more intelligent. After the spice wears off, the user becomes depressed, and listless. In some cases the Carsunum will burn out the users metabolism, killing them.

Andris, which is also from Sevarcos, is a flavor additive for food. For some people, it can cause a mild euphoria, and an increase in sensation. Think of it as the MSG of the Star Wars Universe.

~nemo

Cool, thanks all for that info !

Two questions come to mind:

1) Are Death Sticks actually illegal (I know it'll likely vary depending on Era and location, but I'm just asking "in general")?

2) Where is Sevarcos that Nemo Sage mentioned?

Thanks again for the help,

Jon

1. Yes, they're "illicit narcotics" -- see here.

2. It quite likely hasn't been located on the map.
    this planet was the second which orbits the star Lumea, and was most famous for its production of two kinds of spice: the common, white andris and the rare, black carsunum. During the New Order, the Empire established a penal colony on the planet, supplementing their production of spice while maintaining an air of seclusion to Sevarcos. Much of the planet was ruled by the so-called Spice Lords of Sevarcos, a group made up from the leaders of the various criminal empires based on the planet. Sevarcos was dry, arid world covered with sandy deserts. (SWJ2, SWJ12)

Cool, thanks Faraer! Gotta love the Holonet News!

I think Death Sticks will serve the purpose I'm looking for. Cheers !

Jon

Hardcore Player

In the book in which Princess Leia is kidnapped and taken to the planet Nom Chorios, there is a section in which she recounts her aquaintance with a Rebel soldier who had tried many types of drugs. Things like sweetblossom, which is a sedative and can cause complete carelessness and unwillingness to move, with just a small amount. I wish I could remember the name of the book. Aha! I searched with google and found it. The book's name is Planet of Twilight. If you can find that book, it contains a paragraph or two of about 7 drugs and their effects. It also contains and awesome plot and is a cool story to begin with. Wish I had my book with me and could help you more. Enjoy!
    Uh-oh, another famous Elfword Idea (TM) - Talon Razor 'GM'

Section Editor of [color=dark-blue]The Underworld Sourcebook[/color]
    "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
    Leader of The A&EG Supplement series

Thread Information