Thread: Story Resources

Jedi Knight Who Says NI

Default Story Resources

After seeing the Clone Hawk Down thread I wondered - what resources do you guys use to get story ideas for the game? I have played in adventures based loosely on several films

Die Hard
    Clear and Present Danger
    Battlestar Galactica
    Alien

Resources borrowed / pilfered from outside Star Wars

Battlestar Galactica
    Alien
    Babylon 5
    Star Trek
    Isaac Asimov's Foundation Trilogy
    Dungeons & Dragons
    Battletech
    Predator
    Anne McCaffrey's Ship Series
    Call of cthulhu

I like to get other stuff from newspapers, texts, Music, just about anywhere

I keep a little notebook so I can make notes whenever I get an idea. Every few weeks I brainstorm ideas, just writing down images I get in my head.

What do you guys do?
    There is nothing to see here *waves hands* return to your homes.

ij thompson

At the end of every session, I ask my players what their characters would like to do next. It may seem obvious, but I think this is really important. I don't always give them exactly what they want (after all, I have a story to advance, too), but knowing their character's motivations can really give the adventure the thrust it needs.

I always find that somewhere between what I want to do, and what they want to do, a great story will emerge...

Sith Chick, 1ST HotShot Quiz Centurion, and Master Lurker
    Searching for warmth in the cold darkness of Lurkerdom ...

Aliens (from the movie Aliens) attacked my group once. It was pretty fun and memorable ... one player was insta-killed when a nearby alien was 'blowed-up'
    "Anger, Fear, Agression. The dark side are they!"
    Vixen~of~Venus
    "A woman with a lightsaber!! Run boys! RUN!!!"
    "Roll for initiative Monkeyboy!!"

Old timer....

Well I run a Tatooine based campaign. As far as inspiration goes, I have just one word for you- Westerns. They are perfect for the feel of Tatooine, and translate across so well, especially for the more wildernessish adventures.

For more urban, criminal underworld style sessions in Mos Espa or Mos Eisley, I've found movies like Snatch; Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, The big Lebowski, Sexy Beast and tv shows like Aufweiderzen Pet to be a source of great ideas.

Jedi Princess

Star Wars novels work--if your players don't read the same ones, or you pick up on something minor.
    I used Jedi Apprentice #1 for parts of my 1st adventure. It worked out pretty well & gave me an unexpected original npc who has become fairly popular with my players. He was an Agricorps conscript (like Obi-Wan in the book) & my pc's, including a padawan, decided he was being treated unfairly. Due to their attention, he's become a padawan & sometimes tags along for plot reasons--next session he's going to come down with a cold at a time that should really freak out the pc's

Our other GM, in a separate campaign, used an incident mentioned in passing in one of Tim Zahn's books as the springboard for an original ROTE adventure. The novel mentioned, according to the GM, "an uprising of Dark Jedi on the planet Bfash." Unfortunately it's on hiatus, but I hope he finishes it. My Jedi pc was starting to think the "Dark Jedi" take on the late Republic political situation was making a lot of sense & I want to see where she goes...

Thread Information