Thread: A question about the Gree...

Default A question about the Gree...

Has anyone played around with them or their oddly ancient, yet terribly advanced, technology?

Long ago I did an adventure where the group found a giant metallic ring (ala Stargate) but were never able to figure out exactly what it did or even what it was used for. I'm gonna use that as my jumping point for an adventure, but was curious to know if anyone else had done anything with the Gree.

Thanks in advance.
    Keith
    No matter where you go, there you are.

funnily enough I did pretty much what you did, I think the hyper-gates are their main draw story-wise.

In my own campaign the gree are a somewhat important player. spread through out the sector we play in are a number of Gree Hyper-gates (basically gigantic stargates in space) which have become important in an ongoing war. the first gate the players found was in one of their home system, they've found about five others since.

I love the Gree, I think they are fairly unique amongst SW species, but when I decided to use them I found very little info in the RPG books I have, however wookieepedia has some helpful details on them and some of their planets and some of their technology. I play the Gree as kinda fussy, irritable and bit arrogant though generally friendly.

my players are always eager to find new Hyper-gates and other Gree devices, as well as talking to the strange little guys, my tech player really REALLY wants to learn how to build their technology.

I plan on coming up with a few device of my own creation as there is little tech mentioned officially, the only things I can think of are the Gateway systems, a huge transport ship with powerful tractor beam type weapons, a fountain of youth device, and of course Count Dooku's solar sail.

I'd be interested in hearing how you plan on using them and of any devices you come up with.

Xain

Character Portrait Artist

I had an adventure on Asation (the hub of Gree commerce with outside species) once. And no, the characters were not there for the hypergates. I probably would have gotten to them eventually, but some of my players (significant glares at Ubiqtorate) have this recent predilection for jumping out of the rails I've so carefully-- and clumsily-- laid before them. Oh well, there's always next time.

But the characters were drawn by an ancient Gree device: the Songstone. Resembling a flat, green, palm-sized, river-smoothed rock with circular buttons, the device somehow achieved zero-point technology. Essentially, it was a Bag of Holding. You know, the little satchels in D&D that can hold enormous amounts of equipment far too large for its small size and not overly encumber the owner? Well this thing had an entire planet of accumulated dust and air from who knows how long of use, a pair of hermits who had gone a little loco in their imprisoned solitude, and oh yeah, an army of battle droids that had been sucked up into it some time around the Clone Wars. Good times...

One of the players acquired the Songstone in a previous adventure, and was putting it to good use. Meanwhile, baddies du jour wanted one too, so they went to Asation looking for the secret to the technology. Ultimately, the PCs decided to destroy the Songstone (after acquiring a scaled down version that could only hold a few tons of matter at a time) so that the baddies couldn't have it.

So now everyone's happy. The PC has his own "smaller" Songstone, I don't have to deal with the unbalancing aspects of the big one any more, and we got to kill some baddies. Good adventure, all around.

If anyone's interested, we also ran into some of the weird mutant creatures hearkening back to the days of Gree gene splicing. Click THIS LINK to see what I came up with to throw at the PCs!
    Modesty is like Dark Side Points. Everyone has their own opinion on where to draw the line.

Player/author/illustrator for Tam Dawncaller in Star Wars: Tapestry

Jedi Dropout

I had a couple of players that wanted to play Gree, and we almost set it during the decline of the golden era of the Gree technology. The campaign wound up not happening, but I think I have my initial notes still around here somewhere.
    "Tedium and drudgery are good for the soul." - Boober Fraggle

D6 Utilities and Fan Books

Thumbs up

I took a look and I like the article in SWAJ #9. This little corner of space might have tremendous campaign potential.

I will share any progress I make in this thread. Thank you for bringing this up Keith.
    Frank V Bonura - STAR WARS Deckplans Alliance Founder

Veteran Player

I have yet to play in a game with Gree or their tech in. And as far as the race goes, iirc of the alien book they were in, it mentioned that most if not all current age gree have little to no memory of their ancient tech..
    You cannot dodge it if you don't know it is coming, and you cannot shoot at what you don't know is there!

Character Portrait Artist

Indeed. The Gree have lost much of the knowledge they had in the Most Ancient and Forgotten Days. Those few who may know anything of the technological wonders they once mastered guard their secrets carefully, and probably aren't familiar with the full implications of the knowledge they have. They may even misuse it in some way, and have a powerful and potentially life saving device hooked up to their home kitchen appliances and not even know it.

Gree society is eclectic and anachronistic. You'll get an individual wielding the equivalent of a blaster while on the back of a primitive beast, or reading paper scrolls by light of a never-fading glowrod. Primitive rickshaws pulled by mysterious floating machines, etc.

The only thing they never really developed is droids. In their culture, it was more important for contributing members of society to learn, improve, and interact with each other, rather than send mindless automatons to do it for them. Why make a droid calculate vast and convoluted equations when you can have the pride and satisfaction of doing it yourself?
    Modesty is like Dark Side Points. Everyone has their own opinion on where to draw the line.

Player/author/illustrator for Tam Dawncaller in Star Wars: Tapestry

Yes I know its been 13 years but talking with Peter Schweighofer I learned of the possible connection with the Gree and the Shrines of Kooroo.

http://deckplans.00sf.com/Research/Q_and_A.html#Kooroo

On the rare chance another GM wants to do anything with the Gree, a search will bring them to Peter's letter. Enjoy!
    Frank V Bonura - STAR WARS Deckplans Alliance Founder

Veteran Player

Nice catch..
    You cannot dodge it if you don't know it is coming, and you cannot shoot at what you don't know is there!

Thread Information